Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oh c'mon... Show me your Motobecane!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 04:41 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by jpweissman
This black and red Motobecane Grand Record fell in my lap soon after finding and converting a mint- metal fleck silver Panasonic Sport 1000 c.'83 to a wonderful bike... so the bike found me in a good mood...
On the Motobecane, the rear derailleur has a patent date of 1972 but the black and red paint doesnt match anything Ive seen on-line or in catalogues with the head tube remaining black and the lugs; red with gold detailing- as well as an all chrome fork.
The front wheel (and seat) are new (sadly) Im wondering if the fork was replaced somewhere along the line due to an accident or wear or was an original option at the shop way back when.
Any advice on info on the year and restoration suggestions to treat small rust spots on the frames underside are greatly appreciated!
That's curious. Kind of makes me wonder if a PO painted the lugs and head tube back in the day. The lugs look sort of blotchy, like maybe black is showing through the red(?). Fork sounds like a replacement. Post a full pic if you have one.
Old 05-01-16, 05:00 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
... doesnt match anything Ive seen on-line or in catalogues with the head tube remaining black and the lugs, red.
i sorta remember seeing an early one with the same odd paint scheme. unfortunately, these bulgier catalogs for the early ones are in black and white: bulgier.net - /pics/bike/catalogs/Motobecane/

Any advice on info on the year and restoration suggestions to treat small rust spots on the frames underside are greatly appreciated!
unfortunately, there is no easy way to determine motobécane year though serial number. it's really a best guess. even with mine, i can only nail it down to two years.

as for the rust, if it's just the small sections on the underside, i would use steel wool (or 800 grit sandpaper), touch-up paint the areas with a model enamel in a gloss black, then not worry about it.

'74 page from bulgier:
Old 05-01-16, 05:44 PM
jpweissman
Motosonyc

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record '72, Panasonic Sport 1000 c1985, Specialized Roubaix SL2 '11, Specialized Tri Cross '06

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! ~ all appreciated- I think with the condition Im more concerned with protection from rusting through than a perfect restoration. Since the post I sanded and used Loctite, will paint next and not worry as suggested...
I also found this on-line, the same paint scheme but no year listed: Motobecane, Moos GR.
Hope this post isnt too off topic from the showcase thread, will add handsome restored pic's soon. Here is the current state:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0033.jpg (93.3 KB, 1070 views)
IMG_0034.jpg (93.7 KB, 1060 views)
Old 05-01-16, 07:21 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/72parallel/941156976

Here's one from the web; owner calls it a 1973.
Old 05-01-16, 07:38 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
jp, it would be pretty easy to paint that fork, and leave it with chrome socks. just sand and prime the painted part first. i did it with this pr10:

after a few coats of spray primer, i just used a little bottle of testor's enamel and a brush. then cleared it with spray for a few light coats.

Last edited by eschlwc; 05-01-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 03:11 AM
jpweissman
Motosonyc

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record '72, Panasonic Sport 1000 c1985, Specialized Roubaix SL2 '11, Specialized Tri Cross '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats it! makes sense with patent date etc... thanks
Old 05-02-16, 03:44 AM
jpweissman
Motosonyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice, you make it look easy... thanks
Old 05-03-16, 08:29 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Here’s a Craigslist find I picked up a couple of days ago: an Interclub tandem, I’m guessing a ’79. Rear drum brake, Mafac cantis in front and Weinmann centerpull in back, three TA crankarms with a mismatched Sugino crank. Everything is covered with a thick layer of grime, but I think with a bit of elbow grease (and some parts) it will come around.

Old 05-03-16, 05:17 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Just picked up the mid seventies Motobe Grand Record. Sadly, too big for me(60cm). Wish I could find a smaller(56cm) GR frame to trade for. I am a Grand Record and Jubilee fan, in case you wondered. Wonderful riding bicycles!

Attached Images
Motob_GR_AF_Full_Side_1.jpg (99.2 KB, 1501 views)
Motob_GR_AF_Drive_1.jpg (93.8 KB, 1071 views)
Motob_GR_AF_Crank_1.jpg (84.4 KB, 1172 views)
Old 05-04-16, 07:26 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
This is the same paint style that is on my '72 (or '73). My Campy NR derailleur (which I think is the original) says "Pat 72" on it. I've eventually replaced all the non-Campy with parts with period correct NR parts (including French thread BB, seatpost, headset and brake drop bolt) so the whole thing is Campy to correspond with the "Grand Record" name of this model. Figured it was only appropriate to do that!

This black and red Motobecane Grand Record fell in my lap soon after finding and converting a mint- metal fleck silver Panasonic Sport 1000 c.'83 to a wonderful bike... so the bike found me in a good mood...
On the Motobecane, the rear derailleur has a patent date of 1972 but the black and red paint doesnt match anything Ive seen on-line or in catalogues with the head tube remaining black and the lugs; red with gold detailing- as well as an all chrome fork.
The front wheel (and seat) are new (sadly) Im wondering if the fork was replaced somewhere along the line due to an accident or wear or was an original option at the shop way back when.
Attached Images
Old 05-04-16, 07:37 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by katzenfinch
Here’s a Craigslist find I picked up a couple of days ago: an Interclub tandem, I’m guessing a ’79.
Very nice. Looking forward to a report!
Old 05-04-16, 07:57 AM
jpweissman
Motosonyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
This is the same paint style that is on my '72 (or '73). My Campy NR derailleur (which I think is the original) says "Pat 72" on it. I've eventually replaced all the non-Campy with parts with period correct NR parts (including French thread BB, seatpost, headset and brake drop bolt) so the whole thing is Campy to correspond with the "Grand Record" name of this model. Figured it was only appropriate to do that!
Thanks for this- very nice.... I wish I met you earlier! I am for sure gonna look to "pass on" the original Campy NR crankset, derailleurs, shifters etc. as well as rear wheel (any advice on where/how to sell is appreciated) which all seem to be original. For restoration; I have a plan that involves an IRD Defiant fixed gear crankset for streamline, slick and fast city living.

As for the year, I do appreciate the info, no denying my roots - between this and all the Fender P-bass and Jazz basses of the early seventies I seem to be acquiring, no need to page Dr Freud - being born in 1971! Luckily a more affordable of a decade than the 60's, for instruments at any rate.
Old 05-04-16, 03:50 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Here's a couple of matching Grand Jubilees, one a men's model and the other a mixte. Most of the components are basically the same, including the Huret long cage Jubile rear derailleur. I have just gotten a commitment from a collector in California to buy both of them, so they might end up being in next year's L'Eroica California. The men's model is super clean. The mixte is really neat because it has some Reynolds 531 tubing and Nervex lugs. I've shown these in this forum before but they're just too neat to not include them in this thread.
Attached Images
Old 05-04-16, 04:05 PM
motogeek 

Here's another from my Motobecane collection that I picked up a number of years ago from the original owner. He had raced it and toured on it, even rode it across the country. I love these bikes cause they were such a versatile platform. I've replaced the Campy NR rear derailleur with a Sun Tour VGT Luxe, and wider range 6-speed rear sprocket, changed the crankset to a Stronglite 99 with 36-52 teeth, added a rack, Blumels fenders, Crane brass bell and now it's out to pasture on the local rail-trail.
Attached Images
Old 06-15-16, 12:44 PM
jpweissman
Motosonyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=eschlwc;18733182]i sorta remember seeing an early one with the same odd paint scheme. unfortunately, these bulgier catalogs for the early ones are in black and white: bulgier.net - /pics/bike/catalogs/Motobecane/

A little eye candy, Campy Nuovo Record derailleur set and shifters from this glacial, yet gratifying 72/73 Grand Record restoration project. Cranks next- listed in the catalogue eschlwc graciously posted here as "Stronglight Alloy Cotterless 42- 50".

Attached Images
IMG_3637.jpg (93.4 KB, 1058 views)
IMG_3528.jpg (96.0 KB, 1056 views)
Old 07-31-16, 10:59 PM
jpweissman
Motosonyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane c1972 Grand Record

Fixed gear conversion project almost complete, what a journey, what a joy... what a ride!!

NEW: Brooks Swift saddle, wheels (Phil Woods hubs/Mavic Open Road rims), MKS pedals (looked just like originals) IRD 46t track Crankset, velo-orange French BB, PW 16t cog & Izumi heavy duty chain.
ORIGINAL: Frame (frame savor, matte black rustoleom paint) front brake, Pivo stem and bars, & toe clips w. original leather straps (treated w.Pecard antique leather paste) forks swapped by PO.
Learned a ton from here, Sheldon Brown site, mytenspeed.com & Penn's "Its All About The Bike" plus a handful of LBS
Trial & Error: campy vintage derailleur set can fetch some money on eBay, BB was French on this model not Swiss, touch up paint on bottom = good idea, on the top... not so much, scotch brite pad plus Goo Gone best for handle bar tape residue, Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner is too harsh for alloy, Simichrome > Brasso... was concerned in general some parts were too much bling for project but in the end; the ride is so nice....
Next step is setback seat post to fine tune fit and ride this often.
Attached Images
CoqgtiaWgAAGHXd.jpg (99.8 KB, 513 views)
Old 08-01-16, 11:09 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Bought this 24" Vitus 172 framed Grand Touring new back in 1976. It's been my main road bike ever since. Doesn't seem like much now, but back then the SunTour GT V Luxe derailleur was the smoothest shifter I ever felt before. I especially liked the quick handling. Much more sporty than most other touring bikes back then. A few years later, my brother bought a Moto GT and it didn't feel like this bike at all. They changed something. Didn't have the sporty feel of the 76. I've always liked this bike. Just fits me.
Old 08-01-16, 11:22 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,394 Times in 694 Posts
Big Chief's lovely 1976 GT is the perfect setup for this bike, which is currently my entry in the C&V Clunker 100 Challenge. Once I have my 100 km in, I will spend a few bucks on brake lever hoods and better tires and have a lovely laid-back riding bike! This is a largely stock 1975 Motobecane Grand Touring (the Nitto Technomic stem replaces the stock short extension SR, and I replaced the stock Dia-Compe q/r levers w/ extensions with a set of Weinmann q/r levers).

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-09-17, 09:32 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Just ran across the perfect conveyance for us to carry our prized MB(s) to that special event. A Citroen H van camionette:

-----
Old 04-09-17, 09:48 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
That's curious. Kind of makes me wonder if a PO painted the lugs and head tube back in the day. The lugs look sort of blotchy, like maybe black is showing through the red(?). Fork sounds like a replacement. Post a full pic if you have one.
I have one just like that....no repaint of HT or lugs.
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-10-17, 05:07 AM
dadoflam

Bikes: ’71 Cinelli SC;‘ 72 Cinelli SC ; 2011 Baum Corretto Ti; 2007 BMC SLC01; 1986 Pinarello Team Bike; 1983 De Rosa Professional; 1959 Bianchi TdF; ’78 Masi GC Ca

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something just a little more contemporary - my 1983 Team Champion mocked up as Paul Sherwen's own La Redoute Team bike as ridden in that year's Paris Roubaix. Mr Sherwen was there on the night and got a real surprise!
The orange Team Machine Motos are classics but I have a real soft spot for the blue bikes

Old 04-10-17, 08:00 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by dadoflam
Something just a little more contemporary - my 1983 Team Champion mocked up as Paul Sherwen's own La Redoute Team bike as ridden in that year's Paris Roubaix. Mr Sherwen was there on the night and got a real surprise!
That's pretty cool!

Is that what they called Night Blue? And was the first year of that color '82 or '83?

I've been and still am curious how mine ended up painted like this, not quite a match for that one. (It has other curious details too.)

Old 05-27-19, 02:39 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
I thought I would resurrect this older thread since it was at one time an active Motobecane thread. I just landed my first Motobecane this weekend. Looks to be a 1978 Sprintour. It has the Shimano 600 before the Arabesque.

Last edited by casanewt; 05-27-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 03:08 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
1978 Motobecane Grand Touring. Great riding, trouble-free bike! The paint jobs on these are beautiful! It now has a Brooks Pro saddle and MKS pedals, but I still have the originals.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-27-19 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 01:22 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I decided to undue the pink and scored some gum hoods that worked perfectly. The new tape is Tressostar. 1979 Grand Sprint. Love this bike. Ride is fantastic. Before:

And today:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.