Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 08:51 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I sold a Raliegh Twenty to a guy he said, "My wife is going to like this one".

I said aid to him, laughingly, "Are you sure about that?"
Old 02-08-20, 12:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Good one - imagining other's voices/words as a reinforcing enablement. When you start talking to yourself in such manner, just imagine the guiltless expansion of possible acquisitions.

Note to self : Stop listening to the voices from within. Don't believe everything you think, Mr Wildwood!

edit: another excellent frameset N-F.
What she actually said was probably more like "OK, I'll give drop bars a try if you really want me to", but I'm not picky.

This frame was built by Jan de Reus jr, whose shop happened to be close to one of the more successful cycling clubs, "De Bataaf". His father had been a member and made it to Dutch amateur champion in 1931. He started the shop in 1937. Many De Bataaf club members ordered their bikes from the local De Reus shop, and took them with them on their road to fame. I suspect quite a few were repainted in whatever colors their teams required.

On record, at least two Tour de France stages were won on a Jan de Reus frame. The Frisol team didn't have a bike sponsor in 1975, but did have talented riders, like Hennie Kuiper, Cees Priem, Fedor den Hertog and Harm Ottenbros. They all rode their own bikes. Theo Smit, a De Bataaf member, brought along his De Reus and won two stages.

Old 02-08-20, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
non-fixie that von Reus is amazing. I want to hear how this goes. Has your wife ever used brakes like those? My wife doesn't have a strong grip, and she can't use them, especially not with the original levers. Recent improvements to brakes are much kinder to people with weak grips or small hands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-08-20, 02:41 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
A few weeks ago mrs non-fixie was making noises that sounded to me like "yes, I would like a real high end vintage racing machine with drop bars and full Campagnolo Nuovo Record to take to L'Eroica in 2021".
Ha, ha! The joys of spousal communication/interpretation. Neat frameset - make sure she likes the color!

I wrapped some bars yesterday. Just waiting on hoods.

Old 02-08-20, 03:23 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by noglider
non-fixie that von Reus is amazing. I want to hear how this goes. Has your wife ever used brakes like those? My wife doesn't have a strong grip, and she can't use them, especially not with the original levers. Recent improvements to brakes are much kinder to people with weak grips or small hands.
My wife has tried drop bars a few times, and with mixed, but less than optimal results so far. First drop bar bike I put her on was this Benotto, in 2012 or so. She got on it, but didn't even want to leave the yard. Scary!

Next up, a few years and many miles later, was this Olympique. It fared a little better. She liked the looks and actually rode it for a few miles, but decided the bars were too narrow and she didn't like the long reach MAFAC levers.

So back to touring and porteur bars it was.

Last year she bought an indoor trainer and needed a bike to use with it. Since little or no braking is involved, as the danger of automobiles suddenly appearing from side streets is minimal in our living room, I decided to give drop bars another try and put this Jonkers on the trainer. She's been riding it regularly for almost a year now on that trainer with no issues, so that gave me some confidence about her being able to get a comfy position on a bike like this:

This fall she said she wanted to try drop bars on the road, so I fitted one of her favorite bikes, her Méral, with a set, and mounted Weinmann levers, as she has small hands and these seemed to have been the favored choice by lady racers BITD:

This wasn't much of a success - she didn't feel comfortable on it. But as I didn't know what the actual cause was, and wanted to experiment with stem lengths, bar shapes and angles and different levers, I decided that, instead of countless rebuilds of the Méral, I'd build a test mule with another small frame I had lying around.

At the time I was mounting some ergo levers on one of my own bikes, and she felt them and commented how much nicer they felt than the Weinmanns. So off they came, and straight onto a pair of randonneur bars I'd selected for her they went:

Apparently the combination of the curvy bars, the short stem and the laid back frame geometry worked, and she liked this bike immediately. A first short test ride on New Year's eve was a success, an as soon as weather allows, we'll take it out for at least a 25 mile ride. Her only comment so far has been that she won't be allowed to ride L'Eroica or such on it.

So that's where the Jan de Reus comes in.

Old 02-08-20, 03:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by BFisher
Ha, ha! The joys of spousal communication/interpretation. Neat frameset - make sure she likes the color!
Thanks! And an excellent point you make. Looks - especially color - are important indeed.

Which is why I tried to make sure that the test mule's looks (see above) were as much to her liking as I could make them, and that there was nothing to distract from the bars and brake levers.

Old 02-08-20, 03:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

non-fixie your experience seems to match mine with my spouse. I tried a few vintage bikes, and she yelled "get me off this!" on each of them. She's 162 cm tall, perhaps taller than yours, and her hands are not small for a woman. Still the forward reach on most older bikes in small sizes is too long. It's not too long for men who fit those bikes. Modern bikes have shallower head angles in small sizes, and that works fine for women, along with the shorter reach. My wife's two main bikes are her All-City Macho Man, a cyclocross type bike with drop bars and Shimano brifters, and a Trek 7.3 FX with flat bars and trigger shifters. She rides the Trek more often, and she's melded into it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-08-20, 10:04 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Thank You Velocals, and we have a Roller!
JD

Nice work JD, as usual.
Old 02-09-20, 05:45 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
My winter project Fuji continues nicely - getting all accomplished but taking all winter to do it. Yesterday I completed the wheels. Respoked the front wheel and half the rear wheel due to rusted spokes. Cleaned, new grease, tensioned and trued. New tires, tubes n strips on the shelf.

I find that with these total overhaul/preservation projects that it's a special day, in the course of events, when you "sign off" on the wheels. A milestone (or should I say kilometerstone, klickstone or something?).
Old 02-09-20, 11:22 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

non-fixie your experience seems to match mine with my spouse. I tried a few vintage bikes, and she yelled "get me off this!" on each of them. She's 162 cm tall, perhaps taller than yours, and her hands are not small for a woman. Still the forward reach on most older bikes in small sizes is too long. It's not too long for men who fit those bikes. Modern bikes have shallower head angles in small sizes, and that works fine for women, along with the shorter reach. My wife's two main bikes are her All-City Macho Man, a cyclocross type bike with drop bars and Shimano brifters, and a Trek 7.3 FX with flat bars and trigger shifters. She rides the Trek more often, and she's melded into it.
Well, I've got 163 cms of mrs non-fixie, so as near as no difference. Reach is indeed often an issue. I just mounted a saddle and 5cm stem on the De Reus and can get the reach within a quarter of an inch of the Snel's.

I had to look up the All-City Macho Man, as they're not sold here. That's a good-looking frame!

Old 02-09-20, 11:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Here is her bike. She bought it from whatwolf who built it up expertly. We have changed the pedals, saddle, and tires. It's a 2x10 drivetrain. One day I might change the cranks or chainwheels, as she says the bottom gear isn't low enough. This is the bike she keeps in the city, and it's not very practical, to be honest. She usually takes Citi Bike to get around and doesn't take many pleasure rides here.

Old 02-09-20, 01:13 PM
cboy1980

Bikes: Colnago Super 1980 ; Giant Warp MTB ; Flandria folding bike 70's ; Quax Monocycle ; Custom build bike for Stilts

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Been working on the Colnago, putting on new brake levers (Campagnolo).

the operation

right handle fitted (back brake)
Old 02-09-20, 04:01 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Did some Fidlock modding on a Carradice Junior for the SilverAce.
For those that don't know them, Fidlocks are a magnetic closure that will auto-close but are really easy to open one-handed when moving them in the right direction.

I wanted the saddlebag to carry a chain lock and some other stuff in, instead of wrapping it around the frame, but normal straps are a hassle when I'm trying to catch a train.

Pro-tip though; don't use stainless steel rivets on thick fabric like this. If you misfire one of them you will have a hell of a time drilling them out.

Old 02-10-20, 12:41 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Here is her bike. She bought it from whatwolf who built it up expertly. We have changed the pedals, saddle, and tires. It's a 2x10 drivetrain. One day I might change the cranks or chainwheels, as she says the bottom gear isn't low enough. This is the bike she keeps in the city, and it's not very practical, to be honest. She usually takes Citi Bike to get around and doesn't take many pleasure rides here.

Nice to see that these frames also came with canti posts, and not just disc brakes.

We have the advantage of living in a small rural village, so pleasure rides have a low threshold.

The major disadvantage being, of course, not living in NYC.

Old 02-10-20, 01:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice to see that these frames also came with canti posts, and not just disc brakes.

We have the advantage of living in a small rural village, so pleasure rides have a low threshold.

The major disadvantage being, of course, not living in NYC.
For the time being, we are lucky enough to enjoy both worlds, having a home in the city and another in the countryside. We are two blocks away from the Hudson River Greenway which is a great bike route with no motor vehicles. I love it. And we are three miles from Central Park where I rode a lot when I was a kid. I still like it, but it's become very crowded.

Old 02-11-20, 11:16 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
I just finished up a Peugeot mixte. This one was 58 cm!!! The sucker is huge. I swapped the 27" steel wheels for some Arya Aluminum hoops with a Suntour Perfect 14-34 cog 5 speed freewheel shifted by a Sunrace friction thumbie.. At the front I replaced the Peugeot Cranks with an SR Custom with a 42 tooth single chain ring. Someone had forced some 9/16" Lyotard pedals onto the French threaded cranks but with a lot of force I got them off and put them back on the new crank arms. to complete the white bike I rubbed out the paint with white polishing compound, touched up the nicks and scratches, and clear coated it with Rustoleum Clear Automotive enamel then put some 27" gum walls on it and a nice saddle.
The bike will go into our fleet of sale bikes at the Silicon Valley Bicycle Exchange.

My current project is a 1972 Botteccia Special that I found in the pile at the Bike exchange as a frame and fork.
It had a terrible green rattle can paint job over the original Green Gold finish. The paint was beyond saving so I stripped it down to bare metal. I have done this a number of times before but this was the toughest job yet. The green paint actually wiped off with acetone but the gold underneath was hard as iron and the undercoat was even tougher. I used sandpaper, stripper, and sand blasting and it took days to get it to metal. The technique that finally got the toughest parts clean was to lather on paint stripper then wrap everything tightly with aluminum foil and let it sit 2 days. After that some of the paint was loose and some still hard so a second and sometimes third application was necessary . For the seat post lug and bottom bracket the only thing that really worked was sand blasting.

In case you are wondering , the entire frame and fork are chrome plated. Except on the fork tips, lugs, and stay ends there is no polishing and the chrome, while in great shape, is rough . I just sprayed a coat of self etching primer after sanding everything with 400 grit dry paper , wiping down with acetone, and then wiping with tack cloth. So far everything looks good. Next I am going to spray a white primer over the grey self etch as a base for Rustoleum Yellow. I have never done decals before but with this build I think I am going to order a set. I know this isn't a high end bike but with decals, Campy Valentino derailleur, Nervar cottered crank, and universal brakes it should be fairly period correct and hopefully will fetch a decent price for the Exchange.

Anyone ever heard of a Cote d Azure bicycle? French, 60's , or 70's , possibly Peugeot?
I am awaiting delivery on one that looks interesting in the pictures the seller posted. Specifically, it appears to have a TA cotter ed crank and a leather saddle. The seller is having a friend deliver it to me sometime in the next week or so. I can't wait.
Old 02-16-20, 04:43 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A Humble Entrant

I finished the '74 Special Road Racer today. Fortunately, I had the stem, seatpost, shifters and spoke protector in my parts stash. I'm planning to commute on it on Tuesday. Yay.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 02-16-20 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 05:44 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Almost Finished...

1984 Dawes Ranger

I've already posted this elsewhere, so apologies if you have already seen it. But this is what I've been wrenching on for quite some time now:

Now I have to wait until the salt is off the roads before I test-ride it and make final adjustments to everything. But you can see where I'm going with it, anyway. There will be no racks on this bike, only a saddlebag with a support, and a small handlebar bag. But when was the last time you saw an MTB with a hand-built Reynolds 531 frame and fork, and a wheelbase like a stretch limo? I can't wait to ride it...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 02-16-20, 05:56 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
1984 Dawes Ranger

I've already posted this elsewhere, so apologies if you have already seen it. But this is what I've been wrenching on for quite some time now:

Now I have to wait until the salt is off the roads before I test-ride it and make final adjustments to everything. But you can see where I'm going with it, anyway. There will be no racks on this bike, only a saddlebag with a support, and a small handlebar bag. But when was the last time you saw an MTB with a hand-built Reynolds 531 frame and fork, and a wheelbase like a stretch limo? I can't wait to ride it...

I'll bet that thing rides smooth and creamy!
Old 02-17-20, 11:19 AM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
More Vintage Taillight/Headlight Conversion

Added a taillight and headight to my Rando ride (New Albion Privateer). LEDs win the lumen/battery contest hands down. But I really dislike putting a modern taillight/headlight on a vintage or retro-vintage ride; it just looks out of place and wrecks the aesthetic. After converting a 1950s Radios dynamo taillight to battery/led power (posted previously) for my Peugeot porteur, I sought a “vintage” light for my New Albion. Online searching got me to a vendor that sells fender mount Swiss Army Military Bike style taillights that come with Swiss bike license plate. Cool! I gutted the incandescent internals, built a simple bracket to mount an LED blinky light completely inside, and mocked up a small plastic button through the lens so I can turn it on and off. Up front I found a 1950s AshFlash flashlight for $7 at the local antique shop and added a Nite-ize 75 lumen LED bulb. Bodged a bracket and mounted to the Nitto front rack. Perfect!

Swiss Bike License plate for the Canton (state) of Vaud, year 1969. My wife sees the plate “VD 69” and just says “seriously?”.

Likes For Goosecheck:
Old 02-21-20, 06:37 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
I noticed the other night while cleaning my Giro that the saddle had cracked in 2 places. Where both rails meet the hard plastic underlay. I've decided to retire the saddle and install a Turbo.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-22-20, 05:37 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Not a bike, but I finally got around to making myself a cup removal tool:
60408926075__0199E8F4-4401-4D85-B9A4-2B3313489A9C by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 02-22-20, 09:29 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I’m on the home stretch with my Fuji Finest. Should be ready by the time the weather turns.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-22-20, 10:08 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
mkeller234 That is going to be one good looking FUJI.
Old 02-23-20, 02:08 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I’m on the home stretch with my Fuji Finest. Should be ready by the time the weather turns.

The "Mighty" Sugino Super/Mighty Competition, easily as tough, strong and beautiful as any other, one of if not the best in the business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.