Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where to recycle tires and tubes in Los Angeles?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 11:11 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts

I used to bring them to Performance Bikes, but they are now gone obviously. Any other recommendations?
Old 11-17-19, 11:34 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I know that CSULB has a big recycling program (or at least they used to). You may want to check with a local Community College or University that is near you.
Old 11-20-19, 11:51 PM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
CSULB recycling doesn't take rubber products. I cut the metal valves out of inner tubes and recycle them at CSULB by depositing them in the scrap metal bin.

My local recycling center also doesn't take rubber products - only the standard glass, plastic and metal (aluminum, copper) items.

Maybe your local car tire store can recycle the bicycle tires and tubes. My local car tire store used to take bicycle tires and inner tubes as a courtesy, but they don't do that anymore.

I checked the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works for the Household Hazardous Waste program. Rubber products (bicycle tires and tubes) are not collected.

So, if a local car tire store can't (or won't) recycle bicycle tires and tubes, you (we) unfortunately have to throw them away.
Old 11-21-19, 12:51 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
My bike drawer has many old tubes that I always think will come in handy for something. Still waiting, generally.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 06-03-23, 04:42 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Hi -- I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyone have any ideas. I called the bike shop down the street and the owner told me they throw all their tires in the City of Santa Monica recycling bins and hope that the City puts them to good use. I know for a fact that you are not supposed to do that and the tires will just go in a land fill. Sooooo -- what to do with old tires and tubes? Any shops on the West Side of LA with proper recycling programs? Thanks.
Old 06-06-23, 08:30 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Most likely, there's no incentive (money-wise) to recycle rubber products. Years ago, I asked the tire shop (cars) what they do with all the old tires when customers buy new one's for their cars. He said, they go to Mexico. A truck comes up and picks up all the old tires.

That brings up another topic: what does it take to recycle car tires and other tires like bike tires, scooters, and anything on rubber wheels like wheelchairs, etc.

Too costly? Perhaps the chemists will find a way...unless told not to do so.
Old 06-06-23, 12:34 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Most likely, there's no incentive (money-wise) to recycle rubber products. Years ago, I asked the tire shop (cars) what they do with all the old tires when customers buy new one's for their cars. He said, they go to Mexico. A truck comes up and picks up all the old tires.

That brings up another topic: what does it take to recycle car tires and other tires like bike tires, scooters, and anything on rubber wheels like wheelchairs, etc.

Too costly? Perhaps the chemists will find a way...unless told not to do so.
They don't literally "recycle" them, but they can grind up the rubber and use it for things like rubberized concrete, playground surfaces, etc.
Old 06-07-23, 10:50 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Can't recycle rubber, and we can blame Mr. Spock.
Old 06-07-23, 01:27 PM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
They don't literally "recycle" them, but they can grind up the rubber and use it for things like rubberized concrete, playground surfaces, etc.
That's good, at least the old tires are good for something. Perhaps the tires go to a processing stage and then out comes "ground up" particles. Reminds me of the track stadium. Even at the local parks where the little kids play, the ground has this really bouncy surface.

But still, how do riders get their old tires to the processing plants? "Goodyear" where are you?
Old 06-08-23, 12:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Actually knew a "Sorter" for a recycling company that did this by hand decades ago.
I imagine this is automated now as this is a $B business.

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
That's good, at least the old tires are good for something. Perhaps the tires go to a processing stage and then out comes "ground up" particles. Reminds me of the track stadium. Even at the local parks where the little kids play, the ground has this really bouncy surface.

But still, how do riders get their old tires to the processing plants? "Goodyear" where are you?

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-08-23 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 01:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Bike tires and tubes cannot be recycled. I often save the tubes and use them for various projects or as ties for plants to stakes. Recycle means to turn the material into something that can be manufactured into a new product and that can be done only with cardboard, glass, and metals. With glass the cost to transport it to be recycled negates any benefit from doing so and I avoid glass containers as much as possible.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 06-08-23, 01:46 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I am not big into recycling. But bicycle tubes I never throw away. They are cut into heavy duty rubber bands that have all kinds of uses. Some people call them ranger bands . I use them to band together CO2 cartridge, folding Allen wrench type bike tool tire levers and 15mm stubby wrench so they don't rattle I saddle bags
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 06-09-23, 11:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
... But bicycle tubes I never throw away. They are cut into heavy duty rubber bands that have all kinds of uses. Some people call them ranger bands. ...
This is a great idea, which reminds me of the fact that when one buys live shellfish with claws (e.g., crabs, lobsters), the claws are usually held closed with wide rubber bands. I wish there was some way our old tubes can be repurposed for that.

I am also willing to collect my old tubes and mail them to another BF member who is more adept at patching.
Old 06-09-23, 03:30 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is a great idea, which reminds me of the fact that when one buys live shellfish with claws (e.g., crabs, lobsters), the claws are usually held closed with wide rubber bands. I wish there was some way our old tubes can be repurposed for that.
When I get a non-patchable tube with a thin wall thickness and a larger diameter, I'll put it aside. And then during those moments when I have absolutely nothing better to do with my life, I'll snip it into hundreds of durable little rubber bands for holding together patched tubes and other items. Thickwall tubes typically are less suitable as the bands will have little stretch, and super-narrow tubes (such as 700x18) yield bands with limited utility. Something like a lightweight 29 x 2.1-2.3 or 26 x 2.1-2.3 by a higher-quality manufacturer (Bontrager, Specialized) hits the sweet spot in terms of rubber band recycling.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am also willing to collect my old tubes and mail them to another BF member who is more adept at patching.
With current shipping costs, it would take a lot of tubes in good reusable shape (and preferably slime-free) per box to hit a breakeven point. But it's not completely impractical, given the cost of new tubes.
Old 06-09-23, 11:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
With current shipping costs, it would take a lot of tubes in good reusable shape (and preferably slime-free) per box to hit a breakeven point. But it's not completely impractical, given the cost of new tubes.
I don't use slime. Currently USPS Flat Rate Medium Box (11″ x 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ or 13 5/8″ x 11 7/8″ x 3 3/8″) is $17.10. That should fit quite a few tubes if I roll them up to squeeze most of the air out. But I hardly ever flat (touch wood).
Old 06-13-23, 05:52 AM
Garfield Cat

Old tires and tubes: as a filler. That way there is no need for any heating or chemical extracting, conversion stage, etc. Maybe just some cutting.

Can old tires and tubes work as an insulator for the home? How about inside the hollow doors of a home? You know, so that when bullets are flying in the hood, you won't get shot with a stray bullet.

I watched the series "Dexter" and he can cut up most anything. Tires should be no problem.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 06-13-23 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-13-23, 11:14 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In Los Angeles county alone more than 10 million auto tires are removed from vehicles and need to be recycled but the major facility was shut down years ago. There is a smaller operation that grinds up the tires for use in playgrounds but the tire shavings are toxic and so not a great solution. They can be used for road surfaces where the rubber is somewhat sealed but not something that children should be exposed to, much as with toxic artificial turf.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 06-16-23, 05:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Perhaps the bike shop owners have some insight on this issue. Or even the major tire makers.

I would be curious what the Far East countries do. Isn't that where some of the tires and tubes are made?

Admittedly, not in Los Angeles area, but something to think about.
Old 06-16-23, 05:36 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
My bike drawer has many old tubes that I always think will come in handy for something. Still waiting, generally.
Mountains of old tubes. I throw them out every couple years, or so.
I think this kind of behavior is more common in my generation. My parents were depression kids, and my dad was a farm kid. They grew up to be hoarders, and taught their kids to be hoarders. With effort, I've managed to shake it, mostly.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 06-16-23 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-16-23, 11:22 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Mountains of old tubes. I throw them out every couple years, or so.
I think this kind of behavior is more common in my generation. My parents were depression kids, and my dad was a farm kid. They grew up to be hoarders, and taught their kids to be hoarders. With effort, I've managed to shake it, mostly.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Growing up, I lived with my Grandma (born 1899 on a Kansas farm) and mom (1933, same). Clean your plate (at least eat the meat!), never throw anything away that might be remotely useful ten years from now, that kind of thing. My mom rebelled against this, so it fell to me to carry on the hoarding tradition.