Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with Bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help with Bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-19, 07:28 PM
Dawes_rider

Bikes: Dawes SST AL - SE PK Ripper (Fixed) Scattante Frame I'm building up currently

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with Bottom bracket

I have been sitting on a scattante ssr frame for like 10 years now and have lost all the technical specs on it. I've searched the internet for a few hours today and have found nothing. My question is what type of bottom bracket will this frame accept. Ofcourse if you find any of the opther specs I'd be happy to have those as well but mostly focused on the bottom bracket as of now.
Old 12-22-19, 01:04 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Unless you have evidence telling you otherwise, your frame most likely has an English threaded bottom bracket shell - along with that, spec your BB to fit the crankset you choose...

IIRC, back in the day that frame was fairly well liked. Do you have the chrome fork they were using at the beginning of its run?

Have fun - good luck...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 12-24-19, 01:19 AM
Dawes_rider

Bikes: Dawes SST AL - SE PK Ripper (Fixed) Scattante Frame I'm building up currently

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iamsam I do not have the chrome fork it had that the beginning of its run, I bought it near the end of its popularity and its hard to believe that was almost 10 years ago, I think 8 1/2 years is a closer estimate. And I've gathered from the input from this forum and some outside research you are correct, must be a 68mm English thread. Now you mentioned measuring out my crank for proper fitment how would one do this and if its to complicated of a process to describe on here can you provide a link to a resource which would educate me?
Old 12-24-19, 01:27 AM
Dawes_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DDXG9NHA8ZSYG7

I know its a shot in the dark but for this budget build I was thinking of something along these lines. Would you be able to tell me if this would work and which specific tool/tools would I need for the install. I am a diesel mechanic so i have many many tools and I am no newb when it comes to fabricating tools such pullers or brearing/bushing installation tools etc etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-24-19, 01:19 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Check out rj the bike guy on YouTube. He has videos on a lot of things that you will need to do for a build. Also park tool YouTube and Sheldon Brown is also full of helpful materials.
Old 12-28-19, 10:34 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply but I haven't been back for bit and I figured others would've answered by now...

I didn't mean for you measure your crank - anything decent publishes its specs for you to easily find. I'm not going to comment on your chosen crankset - your bike, but look at the listing you linked...the specs are sorta right there. You got your "BSA:68mm" but that "OLD:107,110.5,116mm" bit is kind of cryptic. I'd lean to it meaning it wants a 107mm spindle BB on a 120mm OLD track frame. And while it doesn't say in the advert - I can't see anything about that crank to tell me is not JIS taper.

The tool you need to install a run-of-the-mill square taper BB is not necessarily very expensive, and you won't need a crankarm puller til you want to...errr...pull it, so unless you are into it for the fun of creating - I don't see the utility in fabricating one.

Good luck - post a pic of your bike when its done (this place needs the traffic )...