Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Tyre fitting problem

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Tyre fitting problem

Old 02-03-20, 10:45 AM
connorcormac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tyre fitting problem

Hi,
I have a wheel from Synuomin and the tolerance of the wheel means it is 2mm smaller than it should be. So the diameter is 620mm.
Does anyone know of any tyre (700 x 25c) that is a very tight fit usually so it might fit my wheel.
Any advice?
Thanks
Old 02-03-20, 12:01 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums, I see this is your first post. I'm going to suggest you reach out to the rim manufacturer. Let them know that you are concerned that their rim might not work with certain standard-sized tires. Perhaps they know of a brand that works well with their rims. I've encountered tires that were darned difficult to get onto rims, but never a rim that was that small. I think Gatorskins were some of the toughest to get onto a couple of my bikes, but I could be mis-remembering.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-20, 12:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
How did you measure the wheel to that precision?

Several people have complained about some of the Continental tires being tight, although personally I haven't had any issues with them.

The tightest tires I've encountered were some of the "tubeless" tires. For example, I utterly failed at installing a tube in a Schwalbe One Pro Tubeless. I assume other brands of tubeless tires would be similar.
Old 02-03-20, 04:40 PM
connorcormac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Several people have complained about some of the Continental tires being tight, although personally I haven't had any issues with them.

The tightest tires I've encountered were some of the "tubeless" tires. For example, I utterly failed at installing a tube in a Schwalbe One Pro Tubeless. I assume other brands of tubeless tires would be similar.
Thanks I'll look into it!
Old 02-03-20, 04:40 PM
connorcormac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Welcome to the forums, I see this is your first post. I'm going to suggest you reach out to the rim manufacturer. Let them know that you are concerned that their rim might not work with certain standard-sized tires. Perhaps they know of a brand that works well with their rims. I've encountered tires that were darned difficult to get onto rims, but never a rim that was that small. I think Gatorskins were some of the toughest to get onto a couple of my bikes, but I could be mis-remembering.

Good luck.
Appreciate the info! I'll have a look!
Old 02-06-20, 12:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I have had some that are hard to mount and others that are a touch easier. The hardest tires to mount are Challenge open tubulars, those suckers are a big ole' pain.
Old 02-07-20, 02:13 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by connorcormac
Hi,
I have a wheel from Synuomin and the tolerance of the wheel means it is 2mm smaller than it should be. So the diameter is 620mm.
Does anyone know of any tyre (700 x 25c) that is a very tight fit usually so it might fit my wheel.
Any advice?
Thanks
So the problem is the rim is smaller than standard, and you need a tyre that would be tight on a normal rim, so that it isn't too loose on this one? Is that right?

I recently put Continental Gatorskins on both of my bikes: 700c x 25 on one, 700c x 28 on the other. The rims on the 2 bikes are very different. In each case, I needed tyre levers and a certain amount of profanity to get the Gatorskins on.

With the previous tyres, on both bikes, I was able to remove and replace them easily at the side of the road without tools. So that tells me that Gatorskins are that bit tighter. They are also lovely tyres to ride, and have good puncture protection.
Old 02-07-20, 04:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
One thing you might also consider is making sure you have thicker trim tape.

For example, perhaps two wraps of Velox full width rim tape. Or, perhaps "Friction" cloth electrical tape from the hardware store (and a layer of Velox on top if sticky).

The extra tape should help keep your tire centered.