Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 09:30 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
At risk of stoking the ire of some, I'd like to add a bit about my use of seam sealer in rehabbing old tubulars. I had a set of Clement Futurox tires that were in very nice condition other than the latex in the sidewalls was dry / flaking.....hope this makes sense. I used a soft wire brush to gently clean the loose latex from the sidewall cloth and applied two coast of tent seam sealer to the sidewalls only with an acid brush. I used Barge cement to reattach the rim tape in a few spots where it was loose, then mounted the tires to the rim with Vittoria Mastik. Two years later, the tires look great, the sidewalls remain pliable, and I ride them without concern.

I appreciate that some will not ride or repair old tubulars for a variety of reasons. I have several that I would not invest my time to fix or my skin to ride....'not sure why I'm saving them.

Dean
Old 02-05-20, 10:43 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Thanks Robbie,
I had somewhat surmised what you have iterated in reading other posts, but good to have verification. I've not purchased any of the needed supplies (may be something in my Misc. box) and was curious if the tape was the preferred option over glue other than being less messy. Any preference as to brand? I assume the tape would be more expensive, but I have not done any comparative shopping yet, and I doubt my collective has any of either product on hand.
Yes, a fairly charmed flat free life; but I seem to do a good job of tearing up rims; and never the "cheap" ones.

Thanks again,
HPL
I use rims that are 50, 60, 70 years old. Half of them came to me free and were badly flatspotted. Or otherwise useless deplorable unredeemable scrap metal. If I tell you how to make rims work everyone on the forum is going to tell you how wrong I am. Tired of talking about it.

But you could figure out for yourself how to make rims work. It's not hard. Most bike maintenance is not hard.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 02-05-20, 11:02 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
It just occurred to me that wooden tubular rims would make a serendipitous match for a modern road disc wheelset.
Old 02-05-20, 11:07 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I use rims that are 50, 60, 70 years old. Half of them came to me free and were badly flatspotted. Or otherwise useless deplorable unredeemable scrap metal. If I tell you how to make rims work everyone on the forum is going to tell you how wrong I am. Tired of talking about it.

But you could figure out for yourself how to make rims work. It's not hard. Most bike maintenance is not hard.
It's not the rim, it's me! I shouldn't be riding on some of the terrain that I encounter on the road bikes while using some of tbe lighter rims that just aren't made to take the abuse. I just forget to change my wheels to a more stout set up for training/touring. I tore up a nice Campy Vento 16 riding the rough back roads in New England near my house. Most of the roads are not paved, just tar sprayed over sand and stones.
I've repaired some steel rims for the old 3 spds, but have yet to try my hand with the alloy rims.
Old 02-05-20, 01:49 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
It's not the rim, it's me! I shouldn't be riding on some of the terrain that I encounter on the road bikes while using some of tbe lighter rims that just aren't made to take the abuse. I just forget to change my wheels to a more stout set up for training/touring. I tore up a nice Campy Vento 16 riding the rough back roads in New England near my house. Most of the roads are not paved, just tar sprayed over sand and stones.
I've repaired some steel rims for the old 3 spds, but have yet to try my hand with the alloy rims.
Campy Vento is one of the most indestructible wheels ever. If I wanted to be sure of damaging one I'd go directly to running over it with a truck. FWIW I have done New England backroads on Vento with tires that were way too narrow for the purpose and the wheels continued to be perfect. Descending at speed on rough stuff, descending faster than the locals dreamed possible, was not enough to damage them. On any bike the idea is to take the shock of hits with your legs and let the bike move around. If you insist on pile driving the bike you'll break more than just wheels. Probably what you require is full suspension. That could be done with tubulars but.....
Old 02-05-20, 02:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Welcome to BF xbit05!

Folks, for all the riding I've done I have never actually mounted and/or repaired a tubular. I have them on multiple bikes, but being that I swap rides regularly I haven't worn out the tires. Even my clinchers get spread out use from riding many different frames; last tire fix was due to a tire blow out from age; not wear. Never used glue, or needle before. Now I want to use my vintage tubular rims that, like mentioned earlier, are readily available and more than reasonably priced, and would be the more appropriate build for my classic projects ('50s-'80s or so). I hear about tape, glue, sealer, and whatnot; but really have no idea about what is required when utilizing a tubular set up. When I have ridden on them I have always been pleased with the ride, and luckily I have not had any flats because I carried no means of repair other than having a pump onboard. Is the tape a substitute for the glue, or does it act the same as the rim tape/liner for a clincher set up? Do I need both "regular" rim tape for protection and "tubular tape" for mounting (plus glue!)? Right now I'm flipping wheelsets back and forth from other frames due to lack of completed wheels for all bikes; both on present rides and for future builds. I have plenty of rims and new tires w/tubes "sewn up" (not by myself), but not mounted. I assume this has been covered much earlier in this thread, but I figured that with the changing times and materials the means of performing this task may have changed in the past couple of decades.

Thanks again for any help; and PLEASE make me feel like an idiot, the learning process will be more ingrained afterwards!
Tape is super easy, but gluing is really not hard at all

this is what was most straight forward video on tubular gluing and mounting Tubular Tire Mounting Cement Gluing Adhesion by Yellow Jersey; Thoughts on a Front Wheel

hope this is helpful

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-05-20, 08:22 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Kelly's Cork Renew seems to work well. I was gifted a NOS pair of Clement Futura sew-ups. It seems to have done the trick (have not yet tried the tires). I probably heard about it on CR.
Old 02-05-20, 09:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean51
I used Barge cement to reattach the rim tape in a few spots where it was loose, then mounted the tires to the rim with Vittoria Mastik.

Dean
This can be confusing to some....(or me)
"Rim strips"
"Rim tape"
"Tubular tape"
"Rim protector"
"Casing strip"
"Rim band"

I've heard all of these used for at least two different items.
Old 02-05-20, 09:06 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Kelly's Cork Renew seems to work well.
Just what is it working well at?
Old 02-05-20, 11:01 PM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
@RobbieTunes ..... you caught me in an error. I used Barge cement to reattach the BASE tape. 'Apologies to you and any others who I may have confused with my error.

Dean

Last edited by Dean51; 02-05-20 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-20, 04:43 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dean51
@RobbieTunes ..... you caught me in an error. I used Barge cement to reattach the BASE tape. 'Apologies to you and any others who I may have confused with my error.

Dean
Thanks.... "base tape." That fits my mind.

Mounting tubulars to rim: tubular cement/tubular glue or double-sided tape made for that purpose.
Repairing the base tape: Barge cement, any others.
Reconditioning the sidewall: tent sealer or Kelly's Cork Renew

Anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-06-20 at 04:48 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-18-20, 09:38 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Hmmm.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
If you like Schwalbe One HT 28mm tubulars in all black, they are at this moment $26.30 (plus shipping) on Amazon. They are back ordered from Amazon UK and my total for two with shipping was $68. I won't be charged until they ship.
I ordered a brace of these when you posted this link. I hadn't heard anything so checked my account moments ago and my order was cancelled. However, it gave me the option of re-ordering, and again they seem to be on offer for ~$26: backorder, though.

Did your order go through?
Old 02-19-20, 05:07 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
I ordered a brace of these when you posted this link. I hadn't heard anything so checked my account moments ago and my order was cancelled. However, it gave me the option of re-ordering, and again they seem to be on offer for ~$26: backorder, though.

Did your order go through?
So far they have not been shipped nor has the order been canceled. I remain hopeful. This morning when I checked my order status, one tire says it is being "preparing for shipment," while the other has a status of "not yet shipped." If they eventually arrive at this price that will be fantastic. If I never see them, I know Amazon won't charge me. I'm not loosing any sleep over this one way or the other.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-19-20, 10:21 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
So far they have not been shipped nor has the order been canceled. I remain hopeful. This morning when I checked my order status, one tire says it is being "preparing for shipment," while the other has a status of "not yet shipped." If they eventually arrive at this price that will be fantastic. If I never see them, I know Amazon won't charge me. I'm not loosing any sleep over this one way or the other.
I am of a similar calm and indifferent sentiment. I re-placed my order last night. I was not notified that my order had been cancelled. I was not charged either. Today it shows as pending, again.

That size of tire no longer displays as for sale at the site.

I only wanted to let you know that if your order had been unceremoniously cancelled as mine was, the option to re-order was presenting yesterday.

Also, thank you for bringing this to my attention way back when. I do hope it goes through, but if not, no worries.

Last edited by machinist42; 02-20-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-20-20, 08:51 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

machinist42 Lo and behold! I just received an email from Amazon and one of my Schwalbe One HT 28mm tubular tires has shipped with an estimated arrival on March 3rd! The other is still marked as "Not yet shipped...." Hopefully I receive both and won't end up with an orphan.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-21-20, 07:03 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Update on the above post: I checked the my Amazon Order Status this morning and the second tire continues to say "Not yet shipped...," but when I clicked on "Track Package" it gives me the same status as the first tire with the same Australian Post tracking number due to arrive on March 3rd. Both indicate the location is an "Amazon Facility in Rochester, Medway, GB." So posibly, I'll receive both and they are shipping together.

Were my tires, which I believe are made in Germany or Switzerland, shipped to Australia, next to Great Britain, and eventually to here in New Hampshire, USA, all for $16 USD!?! Our global economy is mind boggling!

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-21-20, 05:34 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Our global economy is mind boggling!
It will be mind boggling if you ever get those tires.
Old 02-22-20, 06:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by jimmuller
It will be mind boggling if you ever get those tires.
Maybe--- however, this morning's update from Amazon: "Package has left Amazon facility, Rochester, GB." At least I know it is traveling someplace. Possibly from Old England to New England?

Old 02-23-20, 06:55 PM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 79 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Anyone try out Veloflex Roubaaix's on gravel? The site says they are designed for cobblestone wet and dry so I'm assuming they would hold up on fairly packed gravel? I'm considering these for the Eroica California. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-20, 11:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72
Anyone try out Veloflex Roubaaix's on gravel? The site says they are designed for cobblestone wet and dry so I'm assuming they would hold up on fairly packed gravel? I'm considering these for the Eroica California. Thoughts?
depends on weather conditions leading up to the event. Or if they grade the road and it is soft.

25mm is a narrow gravel tire. Except on an 'ideal' packed gravel road, of course.

edit: Which route you choose makes all the difference.
even if the sloppy conditions on the long route are only a few miles, too narrow on the rubber can be hazardous. Unless you walk the slop.

one showstopper stops the whole show.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-25-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 01:25 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Discovered way back in the old red glue days that an old toothbrush works. Good for Vittoria Mastik as well.
Old 02-25-20, 01:31 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
hwheel72 What do we know about Veloflex Roubaix sidewalls? Some of the EroicaCA gravel is sharper than cobblestones. I'm a Sprinter Gatorskin for gravel fan and used them (25s) the last 3 years but I have been tempted to get some fancy and nicer riding tubulars that will be fun to ride on during the rest of Spring and early Summer -- if they survive the Central Coast Gravel.
Old 02-27-20, 05:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Specialized has put their Turbo Allrounder tubular on Sale. Normally $50, now $35. Same tpi, same weight and latex tube as with the $100 Turbo. Black sidewalls.
Old 02-27-20, 06:42 AM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 79 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
depends on weather conditions leading up to the event. Or if they grade the road and it is soft.

25mm is a narrow gravel tire. Except on an 'ideal' packed gravel road, of course.

edit: Which route you choose makes all the difference.
even if the sloppy conditions on the long route are only a few miles, too narrow on the rubber can be hazardous. Unless you walk the slop.

one showstopper stops the whole show.
Yes, I know they are narrow. I plan on riding the San Lucia route which has about 16 or so miles on gravel. I'm going take them out for a gravel ride in Dallas and see how I like them. If I keep them at about 70 psi and I dont weigh that much, it could work. We shall see. I might be walking in the slop as well depending. Haha
Old 02-27-20, 09:27 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72
This is second hand info, but I know someone who has done the Cali Eroica twice on Roubaix and has not mentioned any issues. I do not know what route he rode.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.