Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody familiar with a Kolbe?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 05:36 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

The sign at the end of the driveway strikes again. I got a call a couple of days ago from a guy who claimed he had a German 10-speed he wanted to get rid of. Figured it'll be another gaspipe special, Simplex, Weinmann or Altenberger, etc. Cleaned up, I can certainly get $100-125 for it. I told him to bring it over when it was convenient.

He dropped by with it today. It was what I expected . . . . . . . . but not quite.

The expected: Seamless steel tubing (roughly Roger Riviere quality, including matching paint job, same color even), the usual German 3-piece steel hubs (nuts, not wingnuts) with steel rims, unbranded cottered crank. Then I started noticing the surprises:

Huret Svelto derailleur on the rear, not the usual Allvit or Simplex Prestige. While the seat and dowtube decals say 'Kolbe' the headbadge is completely different:

Then there's the generator set - I originally guessed its something aftermarket and oddly mounted on the fork:

But then I notice that the wiring for the generator goes into the frame just behind the headtube and comes out on the left chainstay to go up the seatstay to the (badly broken) tail light:

I apologize that the second shot doesn't clearly show the wire coming out of the stay.

Then there's the 3-speed roadster stem:

Finally, if you look back up again at the picture of the Svelto, you'll notice that the mounting points for the rear rack (I'm convinced it's original) were drilled for fender stays. There's a couple of them on the forks, too. So this bike was originally set up as a lighted and fendered tourer, not until a Gitane Hosteler - only it's 10 speed, not 15. But who puts a 5-speed corncob on a fendered touring bike? The final picture is of the remaining decal, on the top tube just behind the head tube:

Of course, what was a completely uninteresting fix and flip as quickly as possible has suddenly gotten interesting. And, it's my size (grumble). I've got a funny feeling that we're looking at another addition to Syke's shelter for abandoned 70's gaspipe.

Anyone out there run across another one of these? I'd be very curious to find anything out about this.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 09-03-11, 05:44 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
certainly interesting and unusual Skyerocker. The Svelto was actually the most common rear mech on entry level European bikes in the 1970's, and the cheapest to buy in the shops, however it was very efficient and robust in use. The bike looks very similar in frame and equipment to the "Tensor" 10-speed that I was given a few years ago. That was made in "West" Germany and assembled and marketed in Tyneside UK, probably made in the same German factory?
Old 09-03-11, 06:23 PM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
must be an interesting gas pipe day, I picked up an early 60's alpina this morning
Old 09-03-11, 06:24 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
certainly interesting and unusual Skyerocker. The Svelto was actually the most common rear mech on entry level European bikes in the 1970's, and the cheapest to buy in the shops, however it was very efficient and robust in use. The bike looks very similar in frame and equipment to the "Tensor" 10-speed that I was given a few years ago. That was made in "West" Germany and assembled and marketed in Tyneside UK, probably made in the same German factory?
Interesting point regarding the Svelto: In the U.S. it definitely wasn't very common, actually very few Huret (other than the ubiquitous Allvit, most often seen as "Schwinn Approved") derailleurs got much market share. SunTour headed them off big time starting around 1972. In the U.S., the usual formula for a European $100.00 10-speed was: seamless steel tubing, Simplex Prestige derailleurs (occasionally Huret Allvit or Campagnolo Valentino depending on national origin), unbranded steel cottered crank, German three-piece steel hubs, Rigida steel rims, Mafac/Weinmann/CLB/Universal centerpulls (again depending on national origin), Ava/Pivo alloy stem, steel bars, whatever cheap rat trap pedals.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 06-02-14, 09:07 PM
Polk1986

Bikes: 1980s Kolbe Mixte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've only found this and one other thread menitioning the Kolbe brand. It seems they are a bit obscure.

Long story short, I just purchased a Kolbe mixte to build up as a commuter, and I was wondering if you knew what threading the Kolbe bikes used for their bottom brackets? I'd like to explore the possibility of replacing the old bottom bracket and cranks as I've heard cottered cranks are no picnic as far as maintenance goes.

Also of note, this mixte has the same internal dynamo wire routing as the one in the first post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mixte.jpg (99.4 KB, 30 views)