Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift users, what's your tv setup?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift users, what's your tv setup?

Old 03-27-20, 10:25 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Kinetic road dumb, Wahoo speed and cadence sensors, Apple Watch HR, iPhone mirror stream Zwift via AppleTV.
Old 03-28-20, 06:44 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Ant+ dongle on Asus Ultrabook, zwift companion, and Google Chromecast.
wahoo kickr snap, powertap SL+, Garmin cadence sensor and hr strap.
Old 03-30-20, 11:41 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Brofessor
I am using a Kinetic Road Machine Smart (it’s not a controllable trainer, but spits out power numbers), a cadence sensor and HRM. I run zwift on my laptop, connect it to my TV via hdmi, while I use zwift companion app on my phone to connect sensors.
So the Kurt Kinetic Smart trainer's resistance isn't controllable by the Zwift connection?? If so, that's a major nuisance especially after spending the $$ to upgrade my "dumb" resistance unit to a "smart" one. If all the "smart" unit can do is spit out power data, why bother? The same info is readily available from my Assioma power pedals. Zwift pairs up with the Kinetic unit, my Polar HRM, the aforementioned power meter, and the Garmin speed & cadence sensors just fine. But I cannot "feel" any change in resistance as I ride a climb. Very dissappointing. To be honest, I can get as much boredom fighting distraction out of the tunes on my iPod as Zwift's pretty but meaningless to the trainer graphics. Wasting $300+ for a glorified power meter id more than a little irritating.
Old 03-30-20, 12:18 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's smart in the sense that it can quite accurately simulate power without dumping $$$ to a power meter on top of the $$ you spent on a trainer. If you already have a power meter, any dumb trainer or roller would do just fine. I disagree with you on Zwift being boring without a trainer that can adjust resistance. Personally, the most fun aspect of Zwift is racing, whether that's racing others or just yourself.
Likes For Brofessor:
Old 03-30-20, 12:48 PM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
So the Kurt Kinetic Smart trainer's resistance isn't controllable by the Zwift connection?? If so, that's a major nuisance especially after spending the $$ to upgrade my "dumb" resistance unit to a "smart" one. If all the "smart" unit can do is spit out power data, why bother? The same info is readily available from my Assioma power pedals. Zwift pairs up with the Kinetic unit, my Polar HRM, the aforementioned power meter, and the Garmin speed & cadence sensors just fine. But I cannot "feel" any change in resistance as I ride a climb. Very dissappointing. To be honest, I can get as much boredom fighting distraction out of the tunes on my iPod as Zwift's pretty but meaningless to the trainer graphics. Wasting $300+ for a glorified power meter id more than a little irritating.
It's smart in the sense that it can quite accurately simulate power without dumping $$$ to a power meter on top of the $$ you spent on a trainer. If you already have a power meter, any dumb trainer or roller would do just fine. I disagree with you on Zwift being boring without a trainer that can adjust resistance. Personally, the most fun aspect of Zwift is racing, whether that's racing others or just yourself.
I just sold my Kurt Kinetic "dumb" trainer. All you need to do is buy the upgraded part that automatically controls the resistance if that is what you want. I piece mailed my smart trainer and was able to get a full auto resistance trainer for under 400 bucks. It is honestly a great machine, and you will get your workout if you want it. I also enjoyed Zwift before getting the auto resistance part.
Old 03-30-20, 01:04 PM
bmcer

With the "smart" trainer/Zwift set, I was hoping to create an indoor ride platform that would alter the trainer's resistance based of the topography of the virtual ride selected. None of that involves a power meter. I've been using power meters for over a decade, first a hub based unit, later the Vector V1 S meter, and most recently the Assiamo Duo pedals, and having power data to correlate with my cardiovascular metrics is an invaluable tool for training purposes. But what I want to accomplish here is something that makes my indoor sessions more like a real ride, i.e., changes in the virtual terrain are simulated by increased/decreased resistance. I did not buy Kinetic's so called smart resistance unit just to duplicate data I already have access to. But it appears that's what I've done. With Zwift not controlling the trainer's resistance, I could have jolly well stuck with a dumb trainer resistance unit and the same deadly boring indoor sessions for a lot less money.
Old 03-30-20, 01:44 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by monstorr
I just sold my Kurt Kinetic "dumb" trainer. All you need to do is buy the upgraded part that automatically controls the resistance if that is what you want. I piece mailed my smart trainer and was able to get a full auto resistance trainer for under 400 bucks. It is honestly a great machine, and you will get your workout if you want it. I also enjoyed Zwift before getting the auto resistance part.
That's exactly what I did. Bought the upgraded Kinetic smart control trainer after selling my old dumb one. Unfortunately, it is not doing any "adjustment" of resistance to simulate changes in terrain in Zwift. It pairs up fine, but doesn't change resistance when going up- or downhill. The base resistance on the unit is controllable via the iOS Kinetic app using the "Trainer Fluid Level" control on the "settings" page, but nothing else

My configuration;
Zwift running on a Microsoft Surface Pro
USB dongle for ANT+
Garmin speed & cadence sensors
Assioma Duo power pedals
2013 vintage BMC Teammachine SLR01 running a full Campy EPS V1 group.

Last edited by bmcer; 03-30-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 08:33 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I too, use an older Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with iNride sensor for power. (I call it my half smart trainer) I use Wahoo Blue Speed and Cadence sensors. And a Wahoo Tickr X HRM belt. And a fan with remote control...

Then I can either use my laptop with ANT+ dongle and extended USB cable, and HDMI cable to my 50" TV and my phone for the Zwift Companion app.

Or. Use my phone for Zwift, and use Google Cast dongle to mirror my phone to the same 50" TV.

Before next winter indoor season, I'll likely swap out the Kurt fluid head for their Smart Control head. I see the value in the interactive trainer, just not the high dollar figure.
Old 03-31-20, 09:09 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I too, use an older Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with iNride sensor for power. (I call it my half smart trainer) I use Wahoo Blue Speed and Cadence sensors. And a Wahoo Tickr X HRM belt. And a fan with remote control...

Then I can either use my laptop with ANT+ dongle and extended USB cable, and HDMI cable to my 50" TV and my phone for the Zwift Companion app.

Or. Use my phone for Zwift, and use Google Cast dongle to mirror my phone to the same 50" TV.

Before next winter indoor season, I'll likely swap out the Kurt fluid head for their Smart Control head. I see the value in the interactive trainer, just not the high dollar figure.

Its hard to pull the trigger on the smart controller but its so worth it. You will really like it!
Old 03-31-20, 10:18 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog

Allow me to mirror and add to your comments...

This is exactly the same set up I have except I use the stand alone Wahoo cadence sensor which I already had before using it on my indoor trainer. I bought a used Kinetic RM for $50, it didn't have any sensors. The InRide cost me $40 plus a dongle and a trainer tire so for about $140 I was ready to go Zwifting. I use my iPhone 6 with the companion app and the dongle to my Dell Windows laptop with HDMI to a 52" TV. A Wahoo HRM and two fans. I only use the cadence sensor because I already have it, I find that the InRide gives very accurate cadence readings.

The Kinetic RM with InRide is supported by Zwift. So it is true that it doesn't change the resistance at the wheel, it does however require that you increase your power on the hills. The end result is you get the same or nearly the same workout as with a smart trainer except that for most people to increase the power on ascent you shift to a higher gear instead of a lower gear. This is in my opinion a very small price to pay considering my $150 investment in comparison to the lowest cost smart wheel on trainer that will be over $500 give or take.

Would I like to have a nice, smart, direct drive trainer? The answer is yes. Do I want to spend the money to get a smart trainer? Not right now. Is it really worth it to upgrade? I don't really know. I took the route I did because I wasn't sure just how much I would use an indoor trainer with or without Zwift. I can honestly say so far I have got my monies worth. Since November 13, 2019, less than 20 weeks ago, I have logged in 2519 miles and climbed 204,140 feet. I have the Tron and have completed all 67 Zwift routes available in free ride. Participated in about 35 rides or races. To put this in perspective, I rode 700 miles outside in 2019 up to the time i opened my Zwift account in mid-November.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 03-31-20, 11:51 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Its hard to pull the trigger on the smart controller but its so worth it. You will really like it!
As a cheap sort of person, then I like the idea of upgrading what I have.

Originally Posted by Thomas15
Allow me to mirror and add to your comments...

This is exactly the same set up I have except I use the stand alone Wahoo cadence sensor which I already had before using it on my indoor trainer. I bought a used Kinetic RM for $50, it didn't have any sensors. The InRide cost me $40 plus a dongle and a trainer tire so for about $140 I was ready to go Zwifting. I use my iPhone 6 with the companion app and the dongle to my Dell Windows laptop with HDMI to a 52" TV. A Wahoo HRM and two fans. I only use the cadence sensor because I already have it, I find that the InRide gives very accurate cadence readings.

The Kinetic RM with InRide is supported by Zwift. So it is true that it doesn't change the resistance at the wheel, it does however require that you increase your power on the hills. The end result is you get the same or nearly the same workout as with a smart trainer except that for most people to increase the power on ascent you shift to a higher gear instead of a lower gear. This is in my opinion a very small price to pay considering my $150 investment in comparison to the lowest cost smart wheel on trainer that will be over $500 give or take.

Would I like to have a nice, smart, direct drive trainer? The answer is yes. Do I want to spend the money to get a smart trainer? Not right now. Is it really worth it to upgrade? I don't really know. I took the route I did because I wasn't sure just how much I would use an indoor trainer with or without Zwift. I can honestly say so far I have got my monies worth. Since November 13, 2019, less than 20 weeks ago, I have logged in 2519 miles and climbed 204,140 feet. I have the Tron and have completed all 67 Zwift routes available in free ride. Participated in about 35 rides or races. To put this in perspective, I rode 700 miles outside in 2019 up to the time i opened my Zwift account in mid-November.
I had a couple different mag trainers, and neither was supported by Zwift. I tried Zwift with just the Wahoo sensors, as it was supposed to work, but I could rarely ride faster than runners, no matter how fast I pedaled or gear chosen. So, when t got too cool outside to ride for me, I snagged a used KK RM, for $90, which was cheap locally. I had already bought an iNride sensor, as I tried to make it work with a mag trainer. Which was a spectacular failure, that ALMOST cost me a front picture window when the magnet flew free. Since I already had the USB cable, and the ANT+ dongle I bought when I bought my Wahoo Tickr, I was only $140 into my set up. My Tickr died in January, so the Tickr X was the replacement. (After a cardiac scare a few years ago, and a significant weight loss, HR is pretty important to me.)

I had a bike fit in January, for physical therapy relted issues, and that was on a TacX Neo 2 smart trainer. And that cemented my desire for a smart trainer. My cheap mindset thinks the Smart Control head is the proper path, but there is great value in haing the wheel off trainer too.
Old 04-03-20, 12:30 PM
bmcer

I finally figured out why my Zwift/Kinetc smart control set up was not adjusting resistance in coordination with climbing/descending in Zwift. Turns out it was pilot error, or more correctly operator ignorance. I had been pairing Zwift with my Assiamo pedals for power rather than using the power data from the trainer. I could still pair the trainer separately, but I noticed the "controllable" label wasn't highlighted. In this configuration, Zwift seems to be aware of the trainer but isn't talking to it. So I tried unpairing everything, then bringing the sensors back on line starting with power, this time selecting the trainer as the source. As soon as I did that, the trainer also appeared in the lower right sensor panel with the "controllable" label now highlighted. All the other sensors came on line as usual so I went from there to pick a nice hilly route and started to ride. Yup!! The at first grade i came to, sure enough, the trainer forced me to down shift (more than once) just like a real slope. Violá! It's all good.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 04-03-20, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Windows 10 laptop to my Tacx Neo, and the laptop HDMI wired to a 58" Sharp TV. I use a blue tooth hrm. I also run Spotify at the same time from the laptop.

Though I no longer ride Zwift. I did for about a year. Got bored with the graphics. I switched to Tacx RLV. Been riding then for 3 months now and absolutely love them. Not even close to riding all the videos and I ride them 4 to 6 days a week. I'm not into the community aspect or the cartoon graphics on Zwift.
Old 04-05-20, 02:25 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
The at first grade i came to, sure enough, the trainer forced me to down shift (more than once) just like a real slope. Violá! It's all good.
Don't forget to turn the trainer to 100% to get the real road feel of the hills. I love my Kinetic.

TrojanHorse what is you computer specs, which version of the GTX1060? I am going to assume the 6gig model/ I have my 3.2GHZ i5, 8 Gig of ram and 4gig radeon and get anywhere between 20-50fps on ultra. I think if that vid card makes that much difference I am getting one.
I have used many setups over the years but the pc version is the one for me as I can use either ANT+ or bluetooth accessories. Another option I used for a while was a cable from my Iphone to the TV for ~$30 it was a super easy and cheap way to get onto zwift.
Old 04-05-20, 03:28 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Indoor Cycling.
Old 04-05-20, 09:28 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Don't forget to turn the trainer to 100% to get the real road feel of the hills. I love my Kinetic.
Forgive my ignorance. How does one "turn the trainer to 100%"? One of the settings in the Kinetic app? Thanks.
Old 04-05-20, 11:21 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Forgive my ignorance. How does one "turn the trainer to 100%"? One of the settings in the Kinetic app? Thanks.
It's not in the app it is while you are on zwift. You are either in ERG mode (training) or you are in sim mode where you have the option of raising or lowering the "difficulty" of the grades by percentage. 100% is real world resistance.
Old 04-07-20, 11:48 AM
bmcer

I found the settings panel, including the difficulty slider, once I selected a route. Once I did that, the little gear icon that leads to the settings became visible. So I cranked it up to 100%, but I haven't been on Zwift since. It's sunny this AM and forecast to get into the high 60's today, and I hear the pavement calling my name. Checking out the new setting will have to wait for a colder, cloudier day.
Old 04-07-20, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found the settings panel, including the difficulty slider, once I selected a route. Once I did that, the little gear icon that leads to the settings became visible. So I cranked it up to 100%, but I haven't been on Zwift since. It's sunny this AM and forecast to get into the high 60's today, and I hear the pavement calling my name. Checking out the new setting will have to wait for a colder, cloudier day.
The difficulty slider is really mis-named. It's in reality a virtual gear changer. The slope is the slope on Zwift. 10% is still 10% grade. The only thing that slider really does is change the virtual gearing of your bike without needing to change cassette gearing. Speed, slope and difficulty does not change. By lowering that slider your cassette large cog virtually becomes larger , Thus you can spin an easier gear then you would in real life on the same grade with your current cassette. It's like making your 11-21 cassette into a 13-28 cassette. Thus making climbs easier as you won't bog down in cadence going up hills.
Old 04-07-20, 12:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,829 Times in 3,709 Posts
My super-cheap, dumb Zwift rig...
Blackburn wind trainer (I've had this thing for at least 20 years. It's damn loud.)
Wahoo speed/cadence sensor
Wahoo HR sensor
Apple TV
20" computer monitor

The only thing new I had to buy to get going was an HDMI-DVI cable to attach the ATV to the monitor.

It would be nice to upgrade to a smart trainer, but I can't justify that expense right now. This is a LOT better than staring at a tiny bike computer during my indoor sessions.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-07-20 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-28-20, 01:46 PM
Don23

Bikes: 2019 Bianchi Oltre XR3 Disc DI2; 1975 Bianchi IDK what

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

MacBook Air with Apple Cinema Display.
Likes For Don23:
Old 04-30-20, 02:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Saris H3
Win10 PC w ANT+ dongle
Garmin, dongle, cell phone w Zwift companion, towel, remote control for fan, wireless keyboard and mouse on an ironing board next to me
Old 05-14-20, 08:11 AM
mlavery0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using a Kinetic Road Machine Smart (it’s not a controllable trainer, but spits out power numbers), a cadence sensor and HRM. I run zwift on my laptop, connect it to my TV via hdmi, while I use zwift companion app on my phone to connect sensors.
Excited about getting something similar set up. I have an older Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainer and will be buying some sensors for data. Then running Zwift on Apple TV/pairing with phone ideally.