Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Help with trainer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 09:03 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Help with trainer

I have a magnetic resistance trainer with 3 resistance levels. Rode my fixed gear with it the other night, and couldn't get past a zone 1 heart rate. Gearing was 45/16. Would I be able to get into a higher heart rate zone if I use my road bike instead? Only catch is I will have to at least buy a crappy tire and try it out. If I like it, might have to get a separate rear wheel and cassette. Any thoughts on whether it would be worth trying the road bike with a trainer tire?

Dave
Old 05-14-20, 08:02 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
When I had a wheel-on trainer, I used my usual "winter" tires, the Conti GP 4 Season. Worked fine.

If you're going to ride a trainer a lot, consider upgrading to a smart trainer. Makes a world of diffeence.
Old 05-15-20, 04:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Were you spinning out, pedaling at high RPM on the fixie at the hardest level of resistance and not a tough enough ride? Or is the resistance level too high and with the 45/16 you couldn't pedal long enough to get out of Zone 1 even at the lowest resistance?

If the resistance level of the trainer can't go high enough, it won't matter much which bike is on the trainer.