Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Trouble Sleeping After Longish Rides

Old 05-11-20, 07:16 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Solution: Get out of bed and get on your bike. But seriously, on the Trans Am Bike Race, I didn't have this problem. After a whole day and maybe part of the night, my 5-6 hours of sleep were basically uninterrupted. On the one occasion I woke up before the alarm, I got up and hit the road. I'm usually a terrible sleeper. But this race fit me perfectly.
Old 05-13-20, 01:51 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Often after a 200k ride, I'd love nothing more than a good nap. But I usually wake up after 2 hours, and the sleep wasn't good. And then at night, no sleep. So, strong coffee after a good ride helps me maintain a good sleeping schedule.
Old 05-16-20, 01:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Easing off a little for the last few hours of the ride is helpful too I find.
Old 05-16-20, 01:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
A NSFW remedy comes to mind, the implementation depending on whether you have a significant other or not. But it can be really effective.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-23-20, 09:50 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by vitaly66
Occasionally I will take an ibuprofen -- when the effects of a long ride may result in minor swelling, it seems to help me get back to sleep, too.
I do the same, two tablets an hour before bed. I'll also take 5mg of melatonin.

After long rides I'll often have to lay down for a half hour, not to cat nap but just to shift the body from workout to recovery. If I'm not careful about eating enough my blood sugar must go too low so I'll get sleepy. I'd suggest maybe eating some slices of high fiber bread and a glass of milk while doing your best to stay awake. Stretching helps keep you focused, moving.
Old 05-25-20, 08:37 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
I have had some sort of sleeping disorder my entire adult life. Although I've never gone to a sleep disorder clinic, I'm pretty sure it's not the usual apnea diagnosis. I personally think I just have an over-active brain and I'm unable to shut it down. Unfortunately, this problem has really interfered with my enjoyment while cycling. Not all the time, but before almost any planned activity whether it's a organized Century ride or just going out the next day with friends for a casual ride. I never sleep well the night before. I can't tell you how many times I've started a ride feeling exhausted.