Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Dedicated bike for trainer?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 02-12-20, 09:03 PM
bpmunroe 

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint AL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a wheels-on trainer that I use in the winter months with my bike (trek FX hybrid style, about ten years old ballpark). My teenage sons have also started using the trainer this winter. I would like to leave the trainer set up year round. This means either leaving the current bike on the trainer and replacing my bike, or getting a new bike just for the trainer.

any suggestions? I am contemplating getting a cheapo big box store bike for the trainer, but a new bike for me is also intriguing. Not a huge budget for a new bike for me (700-800) so just looking for some thoughts and suggestions.

thanks
Old 02-12-20, 11:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Main thing in a trainer bike is that the fit, position, and saddle are the same as on your outdoor bike. Not absolutely necessary, but then trainer adaptations translate better to the outdoors. Your decision would be more about how you plan to use the outdoor bike. Same as before? Different? How?
Old 02-13-20, 01:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I mostly use my 1989 steel Centurion Ironman on a Cycleops trainer, although I also ride the bike outdoors.

Last year I mostly rode a '93 carbon fiber Trek 5900 outdoors, but had to disassemble it in January for overdue service. There are just enough differences between those bikes to require some adaptation when I rode the Ironman outdoors. Recently I had some knee twinges and residual pain from riding the Ironman. So I swiped the crankset from the Trek to try on the Ironman. That resolved the knee problems. There was just enough difference between the 170 and 172. cranks, and 52/42 Biopace chainrings and 50/38 round chainrings, to throw me off my familiar ergonomic balance.

If I bought a bike dedicated to the trainer, I'd get a rougher Ironman or the later Diamondback version that used a slightly cheaper and heavier steel tubing. As long as the geometry and bike fit matched, it would be fine on the trainer without any problems adapting to outdoor rides.
Old 02-13-20, 05:23 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm using my 25 year old Trek 520 touring bike pretty much full time in the basement on the indoor trainer/Zwift setup. I ended up donating my even older Schwinn Hybrid beater bike and buying what today is called a gravel bike (Jamis, in my case) to be my touring/unpaved ride bike and I also have a Trek road bike. So, I kept the total number of bikes the same, but left one dedicated to the trainer.

My only recommendation echos someone else's: you should adjust the seat height and fore/aft position of the seat to match the distance between the seat the bottom bracket, and the seat to stem distance of the bike you will ride outdoors. If you are riding drop bars outside, the bike on the trainer should have drop bars. Outside of that, the bike on the trainer could be a used bike from a bike store but if you can afford it, go for a new bike and put your old bike on the trainer!
Old 03-01-20, 08:07 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmunroe
I have a wheels-on trainer that I use in the winter months with my bike (trek FX hybrid style, about ten years old ballpark). My teenage sons have also started using the trainer this winter. I would like to leave the trainer set up year round. This means either leaving the current bike on the trainer and replacing my bike, or getting a new bike just for the trainer.

any suggestions? I am contemplating getting a cheapo big box store bike for the trainer, but a new bike for me is also intriguing. Not a huge budget for a new bike for me (700-800) so just looking for some thoughts and suggestions.

thanks
You could use just one bike if the teenage sons are very close to your size, same leg lengths and all. If not then you can get a quick-release seat post clamp and if needed an adjustable stem. (they are made for bike fitters) This can work if you are close in size.

No need to spend $800 on a trainer bike. Buy a used 1990s vintage road bike. But do buy a "trainer tire" that is slick and long-wearing. A $200 budget is reasonable for a trainer bike from Craigslist. Put the money into a heart rate monitor and a used/junk iPhone/iPad to use as a display. and a good new saddle, new peddles, cleats and shoes. and two rolls of gell tape for a double layer tape job on the bars. And get a fan with a switch you can reach while on the bike. The bike itself can be a junker as long as th bottom bracket and wheel are good. and IT FITS YOU.
Old 03-08-20, 05:21 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I bought a BD Motobecane Vent Noir when I first started cycling a few years ago. It has now become the "trainer bike" / "back up bike" . The bike fits well, which is the most important thing, in any bike. The nice thing about a dedicated trainer bike, is the set up time. Pump up the tire, plug in the trainer and tighten the roller "Kickr Snap", start program and go. I like the convenience, as it removes an excuse for not training.
Old 03-14-20, 05:57 PM
Beebomb

Bikes: Liv Thrive, Marin commuter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just have the training tire, but am thinking of getting a wheel just to be able to use it whenever. My husband is using my bike though so I worry about the different sizes.
Old 05-17-20, 05:06 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Well a dedicated bike for a trainer wouldn't need to be anything light or fancy, generic frame with 105 or even Tiagra level components if you're buying new. other wise any decent frame that's the right size and then setup for your reach, saddle height etc. You aren't really going to care about shock absorption or handling, all you want to do is put power into the pedals.

Like many others here, I'm just going to use what I've already got and instead of reselling it just make it a permanent fixture.
Old 06-03-20, 01:48 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm having my old S1 set up for exactly this. My R2 is going to need a bunch of maintenance after the amount of sweating I did on it, so time to separate the indoor bike from outdoor bikes.
Old 06-03-20, 04:42 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
BikesDirect or Craig's List. Or put the hybrid on there full time and enjoy the warm waters of N+1. If it were me, I'd leverage this opportunity for a new bike
Old 06-03-20, 08:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Separate bike for the trainer is always the right answer.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-04-20, 04:12 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Too funny... I was just going to create a similar post.

I had a dedicated trainer bike, but sold it this Spring. My reasoning was that I wanted my training bike experience (fit, feel, gearing, etc.) to be totally consistent with my "real-life" riding. The easiest way to accomplish that is to just use the same bike on the trainer and off. However, now that I only have 1 bike, I'm finding the task of putting the bike on and off of my Wahoo Kickr to be a pain-in-the-ars. The biggest issue is that the cassette on the trainer apparently isn't exactly lined-up with the cassette on my wheelset, so I have to adjust my Di2 every time I put the bike on the trainer (If there's a solution for this, let me know!)

Long-story-short, now isn't a good time to be looking for bikes at all. Due to this whole COVID thing, used bikes and even new bikes are hard to find. Since your budget is pretty small, it'd be best to wait until the stock pile of new and used bikes builds-up so you have some decent choices for your money.

Inventory issues aside, I'd be looking for a "new to you" used bike. For $1k, you can get yourself a pretty nice used machine where as that money doesn't go very far these days for new bikes. I personally would be careful about how cheap you go on the trainer bike. If you spend any amount if time on the trainer, a cheap bike will annoy you as much on the trainer as it would in the real world. The trainer bike doesn't have to be new, but it shouldn't be junk either (like a WalMart bike). My 2 cents.
Old 06-06-20, 11:45 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
If you're up for a project, consider a custom build for the trainer. Get a cheap, used frame, plus a component group set, plus either parts you have lying around or select from eBay, Craigslist, etc. Suitable parts may be more available at reasonable prices than whole bikes.

You don't need to install the brakes, just about any old wheels and tires will do, and weight doesn't matter.

You just need a frame that fits, comfortable contact points, and a drive train that shifts.
Likes For Athens80:
Old 06-07-20, 12:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,632 Posts
I've been using my racing bike for the trainer (Saris H3). Given that there are no USAC events right now I guess that counts as a dedicated bike
Old 06-10-20, 01:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
If you use a rocker plate to take the stress off the frame, there's zero reason not to use the real bike. I would find the additional cost and maintenance annoying. If you've got the money for a smart trainer AND dedicated bike on it, buy the smart bike offering from the trainer brand instead.

Also, for me, it would mean having both a dedicated TT and road "trainer bike". That's a non starter right there.
Old 06-15-20, 03:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tannus tire on the trainer roller , a bit slower* , not pneumatic, but last forever.. *workout effort gain..
Old 08-10-20, 05:49 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After upgrading to a carbon BMC, I put my old Specialized Allez Elite (2010 model) onto the trainer, and never took it off. I'm also using a Kurt kinetic fluid trainer that I got for $220. I know this is a cheapo setup, but it works. The only thing I had to add was the Wahoo cadence and speed sensors along with an HR strap.