Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 01:59 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
commuted today after wreck friday

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
After rains last night we had humidity driven fog this morning. It cleared up about halfway through my ride. First day of school for much of the area. I noticed more traffic, but nothing too bad.
a bunch more traffic this morning because school started too. gone are the quiet less stress rides.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Still hurt and caging it
hope you feel better! Hurting a little myself because I wrecked on the way in on Friday, but I did see this that same morning so it makes it better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunrise over golf course.jpg (92.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-24-15, 03:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Great temperatures this morning and I think I even spotted another commuter on the way in.
Old 08-25-15, 05:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It was a very pleasant, cool ride in this morning. I took the fixed gear - even with a backpack, it's fine to ride in and gives me some variation. The hilly climbing ride home is a bit more challenging.

My riding buddy didn't want to ride in the increasing darkness and asked if we could delay by 15 minutes. I declined - better be used to having no light, as winter's coming anyhow. That was my thinking...
Old 08-25-15, 06:13 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
70F temp
67% humidity
59F dew point
Big drop in humidity and dew point made for a nice morning ride.

Left a bit early and added a couple of miles. Got caught behind a school bus before getting out of my neighborhood though. A couple of stops plus a stop for a bus going in the opposite direction made for a slow first mile.
Old 08-25-15, 06:33 AM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got an early start, so took it super easy on home side, work side I made up for it.

I'm thinking about doing a full week of 22 mile commutes (2+2+16+2), yesterday was the first. Maybe I'll even convince myself to do a reverse commute one of these days, for a total of 36 miles, but that'd require a late arrival at work or an extremely early start - and the girlfriend already feels like I'm not home enough (she's right). Really looking forward to late '16 when the MUP that runs behind the house is complete across the lake - that'll greatly extend my commute-ability.
Old 08-25-15, 07:08 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Good commute in today. Cool so I wore a lightweight hi vis safety jacket. Going through town there's an industrial area where I watched a coyote hunting mice in a freshly mowed weed field. Didn't pay much attention to me at all.
Old 08-25-15, 08:14 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My ride in was decent. I left late, as I saw that traffic directly outside of my subdivision was not moving. I have no shoulder, so no way around it...I would just have to sit in it. Also had some brake rubbing problems. Hoping to find an adjustable wrench today (rumor has it there is one in the office) and give my brakes cable a little more slack. I pulled off to mess with the position of the wheel to no avail. I switched my saddle from a B17 Narrow to Cambium, as I have matching bar tape to put on it and my CDale still has excellent tape, also because if it rains on me I won't worry about the Cambium and presumable would worry about my B17. By the time I got out of my subdivision I had it dialed in and it was a very comfortable ride.
Old 08-25-15, 08:16 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It was a very pleasant, cool ride in this morning. I took the fixed gear - even with a backpack, it's fine to ride in and gives me some variation. The hilly climbing ride home is a bit more challenging.

My riding buddy didn't want to ride in the increasing darkness and asked if we could delay by 15 minutes. I declined - better be used to having no light, as winter's coming anyhow. That was my thinking...
Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 08-25-15, 09:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
hope you feel better! Hurting a little myself because I wrecked on the way in on Friday, but I did see this that same morning so it makes it better...
Thanks... today was my first bike commute since the wreck, two weeks ago. I am not yet up to MTBing so I took in the road bike. Feeling ok, still taking Aleve for the pain on deep breath.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-25-15, 11:00 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Second flat in a week coming home yesterday. Beautiful day so I didn't really care. I actually patched the tube! Usually I just replace it. Cool ride coming in this morning felt wonderful. Had to search a bit for some cool weather gloves. Been awhile since I've needed them.
Old 08-25-15, 11:47 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great ride to work this morning. The weather forecasters were talking about the high humidity but it didn't feel bad to me and I didn't sweat as much as usual. After I got to work, I checked the NWS website, and the dewpoint dropped dramatically right about the time I left for work, which is unusual. It went from 71 to 64 within about 30 minutes. Apparently a front passed by.

Should be a very pleasant ride home. Yesterday was another story, and fortunately I had to drive. We had a humungous thunderstorm in mid to late afternoon with high winds and flooding rains. We've had a lot of storms like this lately, and it's made me very reluctant to ride on days when forecasters are calling for afternoon thunderstorms.
Old 08-25-15, 12:50 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I saw dark clouds last night as I left work and decided to skip the long ride and go for the get home before it pours ride. I average 17.5mph over 11 miles and surprised my wife and family being home so early haha

It another good ride in this morning. I actually rode 18 on the way. I am not really sure how I got so many. I was just enjoying the ride.
cooler too wish the humidity would go down some though. I can not stand foggy glasses.
Old 08-25-15, 02:05 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks... today was my first bike commute since the wreck, two weeks ago. I am not yet up to MTBing so I took in the road bike. Feeling ok, still taking Aleve for the pain on deep breath.
I am glad to hear you are well enough to bike in. Keep getting better and I'm sorry to hear about the wreck.
Old 08-25-15, 02:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I am glad to hear you are well enough to bike in. Keep getting better and I'm sorry to hear about the wreck.
Jeez, I'm not angling for sympathy from you, of all people! Keep working on getting recovered.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-25-15, 02:17 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez, I'm not angling for sympathy from you, of all people! Keep working on getting recovered.
I only give sympathy where deserved. I'm getting better, thanks.

I just went for a roll and was looking at new bikes. I stopped by a little shop up the road and was checking out the All City Space Horse and Macho Man disc. I like the Macho Man and the idea of discs are appealing to me.

I'm still curious how the LHT fared. I think my wife will make me get a lead filled steel frame to keep me from trying to go fast on major roads.
Old 08-25-15, 02:46 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cooler temperature this morning. Nice ride.
Old 08-25-15, 08:11 PM
Fishguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got ran off the road today by a pack of cyclists on my commute home tonight. I was coming up to a fairly busy stop sign controlled intersection intending on turning left (after stopping at the stop sign of course...). I look back and a pack of about 40 roadies were coming up behind me so I signal my intention to turn left and start to move over...THEY CAME AROUND ME ON MY LEFT ANYWAYS and proceeded to blast through the stop sign and headed right. I was forced to pull off the road to my right and come to a stop (certain expletives may have been uttered). If I had swung over to the left I would have taken out the whole pack.

I have been commuting on these roads for 10 years and have never had an interaction with a motorist and then I get blasted off the road by a bunch of aggro roadies? WTF? Its bad enough for cyclists to piss off motorists...but when cyclists start pissing off other cyclists using the road responsibly? Unfortunately it is cyclists like these guys who give cyclists a bad image and wreck it for those of us who try to behave on roads.

Oh yeah I live in Boulder Co. Colorado...go figure. Not all of us here are like these guys BTW.
Old 08-26-15, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
A very nice uneventful commute this am. After taking the car again yesterday I am glad to be on the bike.
Old 08-26-15, 06:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It was a bit cooler this morning. A good pre-dawn ride in and I feel good this morning. I am so enjoying riding versus driving a car. It's much less stressful and I arrive home more relaxed in the evening. My wife notices, too.
Old 08-26-15, 06:40 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishguy
So I got ran off the road today by a pack of cyclists on my commute home tonight.
Oh yeah I live in Boulder Co. Colorado...go figure. Not all of us here are like these guys BTW.
Craziness! Not sure if taking the lane would help in this situation.

Cooler here in NC this morning: 66F and low humidity/dew point. Nice!

I stopped for a sunrise pic. This was about 3 miles into my commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150826_071514.jpg (83.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-26-15, 07:22 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another beautiful morning with low humidity and mild temperatures. I wish we could have a lot more weather like this.

I rode with my new dynamo wheel and lights this morning for the first time. It wasn't dark enough for the lights to show up much, but they do make me more visible. More importantly, I didn't notice any drop in speed or increased rolling resistance. However, I can't really compare to my previous setup because I switched tires and wheels from what I previously had on that bike. I got the light system wired up last night and took the bike for a short ride through the neighborhood to make sure the lights were working, and everything seemed to be OK. The light (B&M Luxos U) has a much different beam than the LED rechargeable light I've been using (L&M Urban 800) -- not as bright, but more focused with a lot of variations in light intensity, compared to the evenly smooth beam from my L&M Urban. Need to ride with the B&M light more in total darkness to make a more complete assessment.
Old 08-26-15, 07:33 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My commute this morning was awesome!

That is all!
Old 08-26-15, 07:51 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Had a bit different kind of morning today. A couple weeks ago my son earned a position on the high school golf team (as a 7th grader - proud father warning!) On non-tournament days he normally has team practice at 8 AM so my wife takes him to the golf course. This morning though he needed to be at the course by 6:30. My wife is not a morning person and I earned major husband points for offering to take him so she could sleep.

But I didn't want drive to work because I have a consecutive commute streak going of 87 days and counting.

So I got my bike tires pumped up and loaded my pack. Then I drove my son in the car and dropped him and his clubs off at the golf course by 6:30. I returned home, parked the car and grabbed my bike. I wheeled it out of the garage by 6:50 and hit the road. I was making good time, so I took a few non-direct side jaunts just to get a few extra miles because it was a beautiful day, albeit a little chilly (52 degrees.)

When I rolled up to work I had ridden about 11 miles. Went inside and took a shower, and still was at my desk early at 7:50.
Old 08-26-15, 08:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
This morning had that rare perfect range of temperature where you can keep up a normal effort yet still arrive cool enough to go right to work. I get a kick out of days like this because you'll see bike riders wearing everything from shorts and jersey like me to sweaters and jackets. The "old guys" were out, a group that I see from time to time who like to holler "on your left" to each other as I pass, after I "dinged" them and bid them good morning. A pleasant, cheerful bunch who I used to think were just beginners warning each other, but they've been at it long enough that it's a group convention of some sort. The older cranky walker (another regular) was also out, standing in his lane staring up at the trees as is his sometimes habit - he gets quite upset if any bicycle passes by without acknowledging him so I usually ding at him as well. I wondered how he and "the old guys" interact with each other, but circling back to eavesdrop would have been too weird.
Old 08-26-15, 08:42 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Chilly 43 degrees F this morning. Got a late start and paid for it. First 4 miles were highway directly into the sunrise. I could barely see the road and by the close passes of cars I am pretty sure most didn't even see me. Bright yellow safety jacket with reflective strips and a blinking red light didn't appear to be enough. Moving up my start time to ensure I'm off this stretch before the sun comes up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.