Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 08:32 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nice warm temps, 0C/32F but that does havoc to the bit of snow on the ground, it has gotten soft and my legs feel like I was pushing 300Watts for the whole ride as my wheels had to plow through the remaining snow.

Similar temps on the way home but it is dropping overnight to a low of -13C/9F so back to "normal" tomorrow.
Old 12-19-17, 08:49 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
That's good too.

I haven't heard from @dramiscram lately, is he still around?
I guys!

Still alive! the last 18 mo were very rough. Bad professionals decisions ( 6 different jobs in 18 months) and a divorce.
My new jobs ( since mid august ) is very nice, I stopped looking for salary and I found peace of mind at work (with a big salary drop!!!). I stopped commuting by bike for 10 of those 18 months. The new job is 38kms away from my home ( which will eventually change location since I'm divorcing) It's too far for me in my present physical and psychological condition but I can park the car in the church's parking lot of a an in between village and that give me a 25.1 kms trip (one way).
I did it 3-4 times a week before the snow started (no more winter bike for me for a while).

So anyway I'm starting feel a lot better.

Just want to say that I was very very touched (sincerely) that you guys remembered me.

I still follow my favorite threads once or twice a week and I'll post more often when the spring comes

Happy holidays to you all

Marc Simard
Old 12-19-17, 08:56 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram
I guys!

Still alive! the last 18 mo were very rough. Bad professionals decisions ( 6 different jobs in 18 months) and a divorce.
My new jobs ( since mid august ) is very nice, I stopped looking for salary and I found peace of mind at work (with a big salary drop!!!). I stopped commuting by bike for 10 of those 18 months. The new job is 38kms away from my home ( which will eventually change location since I'm divorcing) It's too far for me in my present physical and psychological condition but I can park the car in the church's parking lot of a an in between village and that give me a 25.1 kms trip (one way).
I did it 3-4 times a week before the snow started (no more winter bike for me for a while).

So anyway I'm starting feel a lot better.

Just want to say that I was very very touched (sincerely) that you guys remembered me.

I still follow my favorite threads once or twice a week and I'll post more often when the spring comes

Happy holidays to you all

Marc Simard
Hey Marc: Glad to know you're still around and sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope things turn around for you. Looking forward to hearing more in the spring (meh, 38km each way is no big deal!! ).
Old 12-19-17, 09:11 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I took off work Friday to take my son to see Star Wars. Good flick as usual.
I took yesterday off and also saw Star Wars The Last Jedi with the wife. It was ok but was pretty long. My rear end starts to hurt in the seat if I don't move in the chair a bit. I think some scenes could have been deleted like Luke filling up his water bottle on the island. Not the best but also not the worst.

Rode in today. Was pleasantly surprised with a warm and balmy ~49F this morning. Saw a tiny bit a rain on the drive but felt none on the bike. I felt a little over dressed but thought it would be cooler. Oh well...
Old 12-19-17, 09:28 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(meh, 38km each way is no big deal!! ).
Old 12-19-17, 09:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@dramiscram, that's rough. I divorced my first wife long ago. I knew it was the beginning of things getting better, but the transition was the worst hell in my life. My life has improved in huge ways since then. Good luck to you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-19-17, 09:49 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Hey Marc: Glad to know you're still around and sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope things turn around for you. Looking forward to hearing more in the spring (meh, 38km each way is no big deal!! ).
Originally Posted by dramiscram
Thank goodness for google translate! Today was mirror of yesterday - 42F, wet, foggy, 10mph headwind. I had a flat last night (in the back of course) and pulled out what looked like a chunk of glass. Turns out it was a piece of road salt - big sucker! Yay winter...
Old 12-19-17, 10:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Patchy dense fog this morning was just dense fog, the whole way in. I spent half the ride trying to wipe my glasses clear. Had all the lights going like it was night time, and had to navigate traffic by sound as much as by sight. Do you know how hard it is to see a gray car without lights in a dense fog?!?

All that fog made me wonder, how are we going to get 2-3" of rain the next few days if there's no wind to bring a front through? Sure, it was dripping, but it's hard to get a good accumulation from fog falling out of the sky.

Interesting part was the single chokepoint on my ride. It's never a problem, since all the traffic means everybody goes slowly, so I can easily make a left turn and merge. Except this morning; traffic was so light all the cagers were flying, and I had to wait to hit a good gap!
Old 12-19-17, 11:06 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@dramiscram, that's rough. I divorced my first wife long ago. I knew it was the beginning of things getting better, but the transition was the worst hell in my life. My life has improved in huge ways since then. Good luck to you.
Same for me, except she divorced me. It does get better, lots better with time.
Old 12-19-17, 11:08 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

It may not have been 2 weeks since my last commute, but with the better weather today I decided to ride and was reminded how quickly atrophy can set in. Again.
Old 12-19-17, 02:45 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
It may not have been 2 weeks since my last commute, but with the better weather today I decided to ride and was reminded how quickly atrophy can set in. Again.
The rule of thumb I used to use was double the days off to get back in shape. So a week off might take two weeks to tune yourself back up. Not sure how true that is. Also wouldn't apply for overtraining (or overreaching). I've been a little inconsistent with my cyclecommuting as of late and have felt a little out of it. Its all good and you will get back into that "great feeling" soon.
Old 12-19-17, 03:45 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

As long as the weather holds up!
Old 12-19-17, 08:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I left early and did an extra loop and I'm at 999 miles for the year. @#$%!!!!

Edit: wife has told me I must ride tomorrow to beat 1000. This will ruin the symmetry of the final accounting but it will put me over the target level. Accountant vs poet
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-20-17 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-20-17, 07:26 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I wimped out on a today's rain. It isn't raining heavily, but is supposed to continue all day long. My wife was awake and offered to bring me in and pick me up after (one car family). I agreed and had time for a stop at Dunkin Donuts for an egg croissant and dessert.

In my defense, I did go for a run in the drizzle before deciding to bail on the bike ride.
Old 12-20-17, 08:42 AM
arsprod 

Well normal temps are back (sigh), 31F. Only one more day of commuting for 2017
Old 12-20-17, 10:01 AM
pdlamb

Started out in the rain, waived my wife's offer to drive me. Worked out well, since the rain stopped a couple miles into the ride and my knee warmers were almost dry by the time I got to work!

Carolina wrens must be having a convention. I haven't heard many songbirds this month (blue jays and mockers excepted), but right as I back the bike out of the garage a wren sounded off almost overhead. A couple more (well, not a couple, two more that weren't a couple) were singing before I hit downtown, and another one on the far side. Good to hear near the shortest day of the year!
Old 12-20-17, 10:55 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
NE wind this morning.. always rough ride in. Last night sucked though. The light rail won again, I've fallen 4 times and 3 of those are do to the light rail. Whoever thought to put the preferred bike trail and the light rail in the same block.. I have some ideas for that person. They could of went a block over easily. 90 degree approach only!!
Old 12-20-17, 11:58 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@dramiscram Marc I am sorry to hear about the rough patch and I hope that it starts to smooth out and get better. I hope this holiday season brings some peace and relaxation.
Old 12-20-17, 12:52 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
@dramiscram Marc I am sorry to hear about the rough patch and I hope that it starts to smooth out and get better. I hope this holiday season brings some peace and relaxation.
Thanks a lot. It's already a lot better.
Old 12-20-17, 06:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For my last ride this year I dusted off Dad’s Paramount and I’m glad I did. There’s just something about this bike that makes it feel like a direct connection from foot to tire tread, and make it a pleasure. I can’t figure out the secret ingredient because so much of it doesn’t suit me. Some magic interaction of 1976-premium frame and wheel set...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-21-17, 07:27 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Back on the bike after wimping out yesterday. I would have been fine biking home as the rain stopped before 5. It did rain all day though.

Schools are out for the holiday and thus traffic was light this morning. I must have had a tailwind in some parts too as I had a couple of faster miles and averaged 16.5mph. I'm normally happy if I get 16mph. A comfortable 45F was warm enough that I just wore shorts.
Old 12-21-17, 08:37 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Last commute of the year, so I'd better make it a memorable one. Tomorrow I'm taking my wife to see her family over Christmas and I won't be back to work until after the 1st.

Weather was 22F with a 30 mph north wind which drove the windchill down. Of course, that's the direction I was heading this morning. They are predicting up to 3" of snow by the end of the day, which was supposed to start coming down about 4 AM. When I left for work there was a dusting on the ground and you could see occasional flakes in the air. Unless things pick up significantly in the next few hours I think we'll be well short of the prediction.

Today's accomplishments:
  • With today's commute I didn't drive to work a single time in 2017.
  • Currently at 433 consecutive days ridden to work.
  • 189 miles ridden in December, which is a new December record for me (previous was 179.5.) December mileage is lower than other months because we always travel the last week or two in December, and often weather causes me to take more direct routes and run fewer errands via bicycle.
  • 3462 total commuting miles for 2017. Down a little bit from the last two years, but still 3.5k miles I didn't put on my truck.

Today's challenges:
  • My wife was unusually chatty this morning, wanting to discuss details about our travel. As a result, I was late getting out the door.
  • I had prepped and prepared the winter bike, expecting snow today. Slow, slow ride,
  • Got three blocks from home and could sense something wasn't quite right. Then it occurred to me I'd forgotten to put my helmet on. Rode back home and grabbed it.
  • While I was in the garage grabbing my helmet I heard a clatter. A gust of wind came strong enough to knock my bike off its kickstand. No damage, thankfully.
  • Between getting out the door late, the vicious headwind and the studded tires, I was 15 minutes late to work. So my hopes of leaving a bit early tonight are probably dashed.
Old 12-21-17, 10:18 AM
pdlamb

Weather report said "cloudy" but the out-the-window weather report was fog. Turns out the out-the-door weather report was something like "slowly falling mist" or "precipitating fog." Pretty aggravating because I kept needing to wipe the droplets off my glasses.

It's supposed to clear up later today -- I may take off a few hours early to celebrate, the long way home.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Got three blocks from home and could sense something wasn't quite right. Then it occurred to me I'd forgotten to put my helmet on. Rode back home and grabbed it

I've done that twice this year already. Once was the first day I wore a skull cap, the second was the day I needed the balaclava. Something about "there's already something on my head" let me out the door without the helmet. The strange thing is, the last couple of days have been warm but wet, so I put on a cycling cap for the bill to try to keep my glasses clear. With the cap it felt like I needed the helmet on top, so no problem remembering it.
Old 12-21-17, 10:23 AM
arsprod 

Happy solstice! My last rides of the year too. I didn't think I'd make it to 4,000 this year but just checked, 4,029... woohoo...
Old 12-21-17, 10:41 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
24F, sunny. Usually I try to see what is the least amount of clothing I can get away with, today I just loaded up, a mid-weight shirt over a light weight one, and a fleece hat under my helmet instead of the usual baseball hat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.