Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

3/32 or 1/8 drivetrain for flip flop hub?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 10-05-18, 03:32 AM
czr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wondering if there is an advantage to one or the other when using a flip flop hub that will see use on both the fixed and the freewheel side. 130 bcd. I’m kind of leaning towards going 3/32 for the lighter weight but that’s not a major concern. The biggest thing would be durability of the drivetrain so I’m not constantly spending money replacing worn parts. I’m a small dude that pushes lower gears so I guess that could help in the longevity of the drivetrain? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-05-18, 07:17 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Doesn't really matter in a practical sense, unless you're using a 3/32 chain (which would not be compatible with 1/8 parts).
Old 10-05-18, 07:41 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Unless you’re an actual track racer, then 1/8 doesn’t offer you any advantage. I know a lot of people will take issue with that, but I don’t know of any evidence one could cite to refute it. A 3/32 chain is plenty strong enough for every day fixed or single speed use. Which one you choose should more or less depend on the rest of your drivetrain. 1/8 components for fixed/ss are more common because they’re more popular, so you have a wider selection generally. But that’s really only true if you have a 144bcd crank. If you have a 130bcd crank, then you actually have a larger selection in 3/32 chainrings. you can purchase 3/32 cogs/freewheels and chainrings just as easily and cheaply as 1/8. I run 3/32 on my ss/fixed, have been for years. Good thing about 3/32 components is that they are compatible with a 1/8 chain. Obviously 1/8 isn’t compatible with 3/32 chains, but I’m sure you knew that. You wanna run 3/32, go for it mate. As far as longevity, I don’t think you’ll get less life out of a 3/32 setup, especially if you’re pushing an easier ratio. I normally push 78 (ss) and 88 (fixed) inches using a connex 808 chain with no issues.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-05-18 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 07:58 AM
seau grateau

The Germans used 11-speed chains and sprockets at the Rio Olympics and won the match sprint on them. The strength argument for 1/8 is pretty much void but there probably is a difference in durability over time. For the average user, just go with whatever's more convenient/afforardable for you.

https://bikerumor.com/2017/03/09/bfs...xed-gear-bike/
Old 10-05-18, 04:33 PM
czr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3/32 it is. Thanks fellas.
Old 10-05-18, 05:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
The plus of 1/8" chains is that they are harder to throw off the cog. Not an issue on the track where cranksets are of high quality and round and chain slack is carefully monitored. Where flats are never repaired then the wheel but back on in the dark by an inebriated rider. Where potholes are never hit. But in the real world of road fix gears, 1/8" chains are simply more rock-solid and stay on better, allow you to use cogs and chainrings longer and are more forgiving with lower quality cranksets, hubs and cogs (that don't run especially round, leading to the chain tightening and loosening every revolution and requiring more slack at its slackest to keep the tightest from being too tight.

I started on 3/32" chains and rode them for 25 years. Life has simply been better since I switched. 1/8" starts at higher prices, but over time, that levels out as everything lasts longer.

Ben
Old 10-05-18, 06:31 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The plus of 1/8" chains is that they are harder to throw off the cog. Not an issue on the track where cranksets are of high quality and round and chain slack is carefully monitored. Where flats are never repaired then the wheel but back on in the dark by an inebriated rider. Where potholes are never hit. But in the real world of road fix gears, 1/8" chains are simply more rock-solid and stay on better, allow you to use cogs and chainrings longer and are more forgiving with lower quality cranksets, hubs and cogs (that don't run especially round, leading to the chain tightening and loosening every revolution and requiring more slack at its slackest to keep the tightest from being too tight.
You may have many years of riding under your belt, but can you cite any evidence to back this up? Because I don’t think you can. I think it’s nonsense. The only reason a chain could get ‘thrown’ off is if you have it extremely slack or you have a really bad chainline. These two issues would affect both sized chains equally. There are plenty of cheap 1/8 chainrings and cogs that are less than true round, so again this would equally affect both chain sizes. The closest thing to ‘rock solid’ that you could maybe prove, is that a proper track chain (different from a cheaper 1/8 chain) is laterally stiffer, by design. if your chainline is bad, or your chain is too slack, I promise you that your expensive track chain will get thrown off just as easy. Also, unless you’re buying very expensive track specific cranksets/chainrings/cogs you’ll get no guarantee of better roundness. A slightly less than true round is not something you would even feel, especially at lower rpm, and it will not in any way increase the likelihood of your chain coming off.

the only true advantage of a track chain is it’s better performance under high torque load, because that’s what it was specifically designed for. This goes back to the first sentence of my first comment ...”unless you’re a track racer...”

i ride a dura ace 7400 130bcd crank on a 7400 bb, using an early dura ace 3/32 road chainring. I run a connex 808 chain. A white industries freewheel and an EAI deluxe fixed cog. My chainring isn’t 100% perfectly true round. It’s not even remotely an issue. Been running for years and I routinely push about 90 inches on fixed. I’ve had more than one dura ace track chainring that wasn’t perfectly round as well, just for FYI. I knew someone would end up spouting this nonsense in defence of 1/8, because if heard it many times before but none of it’s true. More importantly none of it matters if the OP has a 130bcd crank and has already stated they were using an easier ratio.

to the OP: for easier clarification to get above this cloud of nonsense, both 1/8 and 3/32 are perfectly fine for everyday use. there is absolutely no danger in using 3/32 unless you don’t setup your drivetrain properly, and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt in believing you’re smart enough to do it proper.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-05-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 04:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The plus of 1/8" chains is that they are harder to throw off the cog.
The main benefit of 1/8" chain is that you can mix and match 1/8" and 3/32" cogs and chainrings without issues. Run a 3/32" cog on one side of your flip/flop hub and a 1/8" cog on the other -- no problem. Run a 3/32" chainring with a 1/8" cog -- no problem. Run a 1/8" chainring with a 3/32" cog -- no problem.

IMO, there's no benefit to running 3/32" chain on a SS/FG bike.
Old 10-06-18, 05:47 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

lighter weight.
Much larger selection of chainring sizes and styles.(especially if you’re running 130bcd like the OP)
Larger selection of quality chains.
equal selection of quality cogs and freewheels.
Running 3/32 gives you cross compatibility with 1/8 chains should decide to use one.
There are track specific/track quality components for 3/32 if you choose to spend that much.

bonus: if you have a slightly mismatched chainline, a 3/32 chain which is designed for side flex, is more forgiving and is less likely to be thrown off.

there are individual benefits to both sizes and running either one is perfectly fine, but to say there is no benefits to 3/32 is just silly. I get that in a way, we’re all just defending our personal choices but I would argue there are more practical benefits to 3/32 for the average non sport/competition rider. The main reason track riders still predominantly use 1/8 is part tradition and part performance on the track. If you’re not on the track or you’re pushing less than 100 inches, then using 1/8 is perfectly fine, but perfectly unnecessary.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-06-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 06:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by seamuis
lighter weight.
Ok. I'll give you that, if the trivial weight savings is important to you.

Much larger selection of chainring sizes and styles.(especially if you’re running 130bcd like the OP)
1/8" chain can use every 3/32" ring or cog out there, and any 1/8" ring or cog. So, 1/8" chain will actually give you more selection.

Larger selection of quality chains.
equal selection of quality cogs and freewheels.
Running 3/32 gives you cross compatibility with 1/8 chains should decide to use one.
Isn't that what I wrote?

The main benefit of 1/8" chain is that you can mix and match 1/8" and 3/32" cogs and chainrings without issues […] IMO, there's no benefit to running 3/32" chain on a SS/FG bike.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 10-06-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 06:24 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Ok. I'll give you that, if the trivial weight savings is important to you.

1/8" chain can use every 3/32" ring or cog out there, and any 1/8" ring or cog. So, 1/8" chain will actually give you more selection.

Isn't that what I wrote?
any decent bike mechanic will tell you: you shouldn’t mix standards. You’re running 3/32 cogs and chainrings? You should run a 3/32 chain. That’s basic common sense and good advice, so I don’t understand how touting the idea of running 3/32 cogs and chainrings with 1/8 chain is a benefit for 1/8. Your Logic seems backwards here, especially if the person already invested in 3/32 components. What benefit do you think they’ll get by then running a heavier 1/8 chain with them? That’s not a benefit for 1/8 as a system it’s a benefit for 3/32 because if you’re not paring that 1/8 chain with 1/8 chainrings and cogs, then what’s the point? This logic literally works directly against the idea of investing in 1/8 components. Except a heavier chain, apparently. If you don’t run it as a system, you would see no benefit at all from your heavier chain.

the weight savings isn’t trivial, especially if you want to run larger sprockets and chainrings. The cogs, chainrings, chains and often the cranks are all lighter weight. Every defence so far of 1/8 is only beneficial to someone putting down heavy torque pushing heavy gears on a velodrome. Which, surprise! is exactly where 1/8 shines. But the OP isn’t a track racer and they aren’t building a track bike. So I’ll defer you back to my very first sentence in this thread and then repeat: both are fine, but for the non sport/competition rider, there are more practical benefits to 3/32 over 1/8.
Old 10-06-18, 07:12 PM
seau grateau

Every argument on SS/FG:

Old 10-06-18, 09:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

any decent bike mechanic will tell you: you shouldn’t mix standards.
Well, FWIW, I've been a bike mechanic since 1978, and have worked on everything from department store BSOs to Olympic Team bikes. So take my opinion for whatever you feel it is worth.
Old 10-06-18, 09:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12639 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
I'll second that. No matter what cogs and rings I run, I always put 1/8" chain on.
Old 10-07-18, 10:50 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Well, FWIW, I've been a bike mechanic since 1978, and have worked on everything from department store BSOs to Olympic Team bikes. So take my opinion for whatever you feel it is worth.
you didn’t refute my statement though, and you know as a mechanic, just as I do, that it’s basic good guidance to not mix standards. We would advise against that in a shop, especially to someone who is just trying to build up an affordable bike for everyday riding. Why is this even a discussion? For someone of your apparent experience, to say there’s no benefit, is absurd. Both in a general sense, but also more specifically in regards to what the OP’s potential needs and uses are. I was trying to actually help the OP, and offering an opinion based on the information they provided, not just throwing out refutable nonsense with a bit of backwards logic to defend it. The OP deserves a well rounded, considered opinion, that takes their information and intentions into account, to be of any use. Your first statement was refutably wrong and useless. Why again, is there no benefit to running 3/32, to the OP?

Here, have a 🍪 for your experience. Cheers mate.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-07-18 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 09:25 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Old 10-08-18, 01:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,575 Posts
Why is this even a discussion?
don't be so rigid. sometimes you can mix standards with no practical detriment.
Old 10-08-18, 05:14 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread's dog gon' done it.
Old 10-08-18, 05:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12639 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
My Raleigh Preston came with 1/8" chain, but 3/32" cog and chainring. I dunno whether to blame the British or the Chinese.
Old 10-09-18, 08:02 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
The main benefit of 1/8" chain is that you can mix and match 1/8" and 3/32" cogs and chainrings without issues. Run a 3/32" cog on one side of your flip/flop hub and a 1/8" cog on the other -- no problem. Run a 3/32" chainring with a 1/8" cog -- no problem. Run a 1/8" chainring with a 3/32" cog -- no problem.

This exactly,

Most of my experience is on the track, but this holds even more true there. Whoever is running 3/32" chain is always odd man/woman out whenever they are looking to borrow a different cog or chainring, but 1/8" users can borrow any gear from anyone. Mix and match does not present any problems in the real world.

Weight difference is negligible. On the street where so many riders use no brakes, why someone would want to shave weight from their only means of stopping is beyond me.
Old 10-09-18, 08:10 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by czr
Wondering if there is an advantage to one or the other when using a flip flop hub that will see use on both the fixed and the freewheel side. 130 bcd. I’m kind of leaning towards going 3/32 for the lighter weight but that’s not a major concern. The biggest thing would be durability of the drivetrain so I’m not constantly spending money replacing worn parts. I’m a small dude that pushes lower gears so I guess that could help in the longevity of the drivetrain? Thanks for any help.
In direct response to your concerns. If you keep your chain clean, they will both last similar amounts of time. 1/8" cogs and chainrings will have slightly more material so in theory they should last longer, but in the real world it will be negligible. 3/32" might save a little weight, but probably not enough to feel a much of a difference on the bike. 1/8" chain will offer more cross compatibility down the road.
Old 10-09-18, 10:51 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Look at the badass new guy in this thread! He knows all the decent bike mechanics, and if they approve of 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets, they're not decent!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-09-18, 08:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I just wanted to say that whatever standard you choose to run unless it is my standard you are probably doing it wrong.
Old 10-09-18, 08:41 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Who said you can't use a 3/32 chain on a 1/8 chainring?

Old 10-09-18, 09:00 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
^^^ Just needs some breaking in, that’s all.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.