Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are bike weights "unavailable"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are bike weights "unavailable"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
BTW....Reading some of the responses here reminded me of probably my favorite bike kook complaint story....

Years ago, Schwalbe started advertising a new flat-protection system using the term "flat-less." A reader wrote a letter to ACA chastising it for running the ad in its publication because it was false advertising to claim that you will never get a flat with the new system. The entirety of the ad made it clear that what was being pitched was a new design that reduces the chance of flats. Nowhere did the ad claim (or even suggest) that your riding would be without flats. Still, the writer focussed on "flat-less,"" reading it as "flatless."

So I can totally see some ounce weenies complaining on the Internets that there new bikes are 4 oz. over the manufacturers' listed weights.
Old 02-10-20, 08:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
FYI for the folk in this thread waving pitchforks and torches:

Electric guitar and electric bass manufacturers and retailers do not publish weights of instruments, with the exception of one retailer, Sweetwater Sound. They publish weights of all instruments selling for over $300 or thereabouts. But the weights they publish are shown for each individual instrument. A given Fender Precision bass model can weigh as much as a pound and a half more than another, otherwise identical Fender Precision bass.

I suggest confining your bike shopping to only those manufacturers and retailers who weigh each and every bike in stock and publish each weight accordingly.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-10-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 08:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Why don't people want us to know how much a bike weighs before we buy it?
I missed something. Your bike shop won't let you weigh a bike before you buy it? Maybe you should go to another bike shop.
Old 02-10-20, 09:34 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I missed something. Your bike shop won't let you weigh a bike before you buy it? Maybe you should go to another bike shop.
All bike shops weigh any bike I ask them to. They are glad to do it, and they all have scales. It is ordering a model from a smaller shop that does not carry in stock certain models. Bikes of unknown weights.
Old 02-10-20, 09:51 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Anyone ever actually check Trek's weight figures for accuracy?

Spesh and Giant don't do it, Trek does. Liability for false claims is a real thing. Companies weigh legal risk vs. marketing benefit. It doesn't make us wrong about why if one company makes that cost/benefit calculation differently.

I don't care whether you feel a need to boycott bikes without published weight claims. That wasn't the question in the OP. I do think there's very sound reasons to believe that the published weights aren't going to be very accurate.
I think it would be utterly ridiculous to boycott bikes without published weight's. The majority of bike company's don't do it anyway. But ball park weight's would be nice. Within 1/4 - 1/2 pound I would find helpful.
I would hope that the few that do publish would be at least within reason.
Old 02-10-20, 11:11 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
This thread has identified 10 major bike manufacturers that list complete bike weights: Jamis, Fuji, Salsa, Trek, Scott, Cannondale, Felt, Canyon, Focus, Giant (Euro sites). I'm sure there are others.

I get that there are a few notable exceptions that seem to specifically omit this info (Specialized, Santa Cruz, the REI brand, etc), but I'm not sure this is actually a problem.
I googled 3 different Specialized models and was able to find weights for all of them from 3rd party sources within a few seconds. (A Specialized Crux E5 sport weighs 21.5lbs according to a 2019 review by Bicycling Magazine, for instance)
Old 02-10-20, 11:30 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I figure it this way: Set your mind to exactly what weight you want your bike to be. Buy a bike. Get the bike, build it up and weigh the bike. If it's too heavy, decide if there are accessories you can live without and take them off. Weigh the bike again - if it's still too heavy, remove more accessories. Once the bike weight meets with your preconceived notions, test ride the bike. During your test ride, crash the bike and decide that brakes may not be an unnecessary accessory - go put them back on. Stress about weight again. Look on Weight Weenies for the lightest parts you can find and decide it a second mortgage will cover the cost of all the upgrades. Upgrade the bike. Once the arguments and fighting (and possibly the divorce) are over, weigh the bike again and pat yourself on the back about how marvelously light the bike is. Get ready for the first maiden ride. Attache the saddle bag with tubes, CO2 cartridge, tire tools, multi-tool, emergency patch kit, store stop money, attach your safety blinky lights, fill your water bottles, and attach your computer. Weigh the bike again. Cry. Start to consider how much your phone, gels and food bars, cycling kit & shoes also weigh. Sink into a dark pit of despair. Start to come to the realization that unless you are a UCI Pro Tour rider with total support, maybe stressing about whether or not bike manufacturers publish weights is kind of silly.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 02-10-20, 12:22 PM
Kite005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Impossible to give weights for all the different versions? Come on- thats an absurd claim.
If a model has 10 frame sizes, then weigh em as stock builds. List the weight of each in the geometry table on the website next to all the other detailed information about the bike that is already listed. It would be quite easy, actually.
Or at the very least, list the weight of 1 bike and the corresponding bike size so there is a basis to then guess. This is a minimum and hardly difficult to do as a company.

I totally get that components may change thru the year due to availability or cost to the company, and those changes may affect the weight. So just like there is a well known disclaimer on websites that state bike spec is subject to change, have that apply to weight also.

I would guess that weight isnt listed by all major brands for all sizes because there is very little upside for the brand. If the weight is listed, it can be compared to other brands with similarly priced or spec'd bikes.

It wont happen, but not because its impossible.
I with you, publish a weight for each size even make a statement that things could change a bit but it would give the consumer something to go by anyway
Old 02-10-20, 12:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Bike specifications are often subject to change during a model run. Something as simple as a set of tires can change overall bike weight not to mention the rest of the components. All this and different frame sizes have different weights. It would be impossible to give weight for all the different versions of one bike model.
But somehow car manufacturers list curb weight.
Old 02-10-20, 12:24 PM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Having worked for bike companies for decades, I can tell you many companies don't want you to compare their bikes against others based on weight. They assume the worst about their competitors (that they publish low weights). Most know the weights, and can easily publish it, stating the size and some sort of disclaimer (29.5 lb. for a medium, within 5%). Some don't even pay attention to the weight. At cannondale, we knew we had the lightest bikes on the market, and made sure we always published it. I have found that most companies that don't publish it will tell you if you chat on their site or email them. Pity the poor customer service rep who isn't given the information!
Likes For biketube guy:
Old 02-10-20, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This thread has identified 10 major bike manufacturers that list complete bike weights: Jamis, Fuji, Salsa, Trek, Scott, Cannondale, Felt, Canyon, Focus, Giant (Euro sites). I'm sure there are others.

I get that there are a few notable exceptions that seem to specifically omit this info (Specialized, Santa Cruz, the REI brand, etc), but I'm not sure this is actually a problem.
I googled 3 different Specialized models and was able to find weights for all of them from 3rd party sources within a few seconds. (A Specialized Crux E5 sport weighs 21.5lbs according to a 2019 review by Bicycling Magazine, for instance)

This is really the point--the one explanation that has been offered here that makes no sense is that some of the manufacturers have "something to hide". Third party sources are free to estimate without having to worry about legal consequences if they're slightly off.

Seriously, is there anyone who doesn't know within some range which are the light bikes and which are comparatively heavy?

But from a rational point of view, if you really are paying thousands of dollars to shave a few grams, don't you owe it to yourself to weigh the individual bike prior to accepting it?
Old 02-10-20, 12:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
People willing to pay thousands of dollars of their own money to shave a few grams off a recreational (not used for racing competition) bicycle's weight are probably not known for having a rational point of view on this subject.
Old 02-10-20, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
People willing to pay thousands of dollars of their own money to shave a few grams off a recreational (not used for racing competition) bicycle's weight are probably not known for having a rational point of view on this subject.
Well, unlike you, I'm not going to pontificate to them about whether they should care that much about weight, but if they are paying a premium for it, I think they really should verify they're getting that which they paid for instead of relying on some dubious disclaimed "average" figure..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-10-20, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

They're legally required to, and as has been noted several times in this thread, no one's going to notice or care if they're off by a few pounds. Lightness isn't a real selling point on a car.
Old 02-10-20, 01:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Third party sources are free to estimate without having to worry about legal consequences if they're slightly off.
Zactly. Manufacturer does it and get its wrong, I can envision the possibility of a crazy law suit. Remember the Subway footlong class action? At least that had somewhat of a happy ending.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...825-story.html
Old 02-10-20, 01:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
They're legally required to, and as has been noted several times in this thread, no one's going to notice or care if they're off by a few pounds. Lightness isn't a real selling point on a car.
I didn't have any interest in knowing before this thread, but I've learned that curb weight is allowed to be an estimate, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-10-20, 01:28 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Another point on this is that car manufacturers design parts (or work with parts suppliers to design parts) specifically for a particular model and completely control that process, and the entire assembly. A car rolls off the assembly line ready for customer delivery, all the dealer does is unwrap it and park it on the lot. Toyota may use a 3rd party to supply parts, but it's a part that is specifically designed and built to their standards for a specific model. Toyota can guarantee that every Camry that rolls off the line is the exact same.

Bike manufacturers are really only controlling the framesets and (in some cases) a few select components. Most bike components and parts are built by a completely different company, and not built to any particular manufacturer's specifications. They have little or no control over SRAM or Shimano making changes mid-stream to products. Bike manufacturers also usually ship out bikes to shops either completely un-assembled, or only partially assembled. A LBS will then install parts, wrap bars, run and cut cables, cut steerer tubes, install tubes and tires, whatever accessories they may want to add, etc. Bike manufacturers count on these 3rd parties (both component suppliers and local shops) to build consistent products without changes, but there are many things here that can affect the final weight of a bike that are completely beyond the control of a bike manufacturer.

Again, I'm not saying bike manufacturers can't or shouldn't list weights, but there are many reasons why the auto industry does things differently.
Old 02-10-20, 01:36 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I didn't have any interest in knowing before this thread, but I've learned that curb weight is allowed to be an estimate, too.
Yep.
Old 02-10-20, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Makes sense--what else could it be?
Old 02-10-20, 02:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Makes sense--what else could it be?
I figured they roll a fully-equipped (but unloaded) example onto the scale and call it good.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-10-20, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I figured they roll a fully-equipped (but unloaded) example onto the scale and call it good.

Beats going to the "guess your weight" guy at the carnival.
Old 02-10-20, 05:51 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
For me, reducing rider weight provided the biggest benefits
Old 02-10-20, 06:01 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
what if they did this ?

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Not impossible. Get all manufactures to follow the same standard.
Get the manufacturers to list frame weight , average from weight of the model plus weight range from smallest to largest in the series. Then have a disclaimer stating specs are subject to change because of component availability and variations in materials.
Old 02-10-20, 06:08 PM
gotrek99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sympathize with your dilemma. Others have outlined the problem with listing weights. A couple ways to get a weight...
1. Ask the shop to weigh the bike. Hard to know if their scale is accurate, and maybe they won't have one. But any time I have asked they have had a scale available.And the first time I ask they acted like it was a common question.
2. Take your own scale. A luggage scale that has a strat to fit around a handle is best. Search for "luggage scales". Amazon has several started at $10. There is at least one bike scale but $50ish. Better to use your own scale so you know you are comparing apples to apples. First time I asked to use my own scale, they said sure, no problem.
3. Look for bike tests or reviews of the bikes your looking at. Just keep in mind what others have said about parts and sizes differences. If the test and review does not state the frame size the wieght is for you can figure is a small or extra small.
4. I once contacted a US bicycle company by email and asked about a weight of a part. They replied right away and seemed happed to provide the information.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-10-20, 06:42 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Years ago GM under reported HP #'s on some of their muscle cars so insurance rates would be lower and they could sell more cars. On the other hand, Ford over reported their HP on the V-8 Mustang for the same reason. I suspect that the myth that lighter is always better might make marketing departments fudge a little in the bike industry. Buyer beware, you might not be getting the straight dope from anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.