Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edelux II upside down on a Pass and Stow rack

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 02-14-20, 08:43 PM
E56789

Bikes: SOMA Wolverine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts

I love the look of the Pass and Stow 3 rail racks and just wondered if anyone has mounted an upside down mount light. I have already got the Edelux II and don't want to put out even more coin for a new light. My main concern is about clearance and whether or not there are any unfortunate shadows.
Old 02-15-20, 07:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by E56789
I love the look of the Pass and Stow 3 rail racks and just wondered if anyone has mounted an upside down mount light. I have already got the Edelux II and don't want to put out even more coin for a new light. My main concern is about clearance and whether or not there are any unfortunate shadows.
That light has a shaped beam with a cutoff; if you mount it upside-down, the beam will be all wrong. Unless you already have the upside-down version of the light?
Old 02-15-20, 07:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
The way I read the OP was that he has the upside-down mount light, but I admit I don't fully understand the question posed.

If it's not an upside-down mount light, there are many pictures of improvised light mounts on flickr. Lots of them use the arm off of a brake.

If it is the upside-down version, then you might be able to use a p-clamp to get it on there. It's hard to tell without both items, the supporting strut gets pretty close to the front of the rack. I mount my lights on my front rack and there is no significant problem with shadows
Old 02-15-20, 08:21 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The way I read the OP was that he has the upside-down mount light, but I admit I don't fully understand the question posed.

If it's not an upside-down mount light, there are many pictures of improvised light mounts on flickr. Lots of them use the arm off of a brake.

If it is the upside-down version, then you might be able to use a p-clamp to get it on there. It's hard to tell without both items, the supporting strut gets pretty close to the front of the rack. I mount my lights on my front rack and there is no significant problem with shadows
Yes, after re-reading the OP's question, I agree with you - not sure exactly what is being asked. I would suggest that the OP send an email to Matt at Pass and Stow - I've not ever communicated with him, but have spent some time lusting over the website, and it looks like he would be responsive.
Old 02-15-20, 08:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

after looking at the rack some more, there is a light mount on it. It's in a horrible place IMHO. The upside-down Edelux probably works just as well on it as a right side up light, assuming it will fit in there.
Old 02-15-20, 10:33 AM
E56789

It is the upside down version that I already have. What I am wondering is whether the mounting post on the Pass and Stow will put the light too close to the
leg of the rack. If anyone has got this setup it would be great to know how it works, otherwise I will contact the vendor. Not sure if he will know unless he has
set one up himself but it won't hurt to ask.
Old 02-15-20, 10:57 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
What I am wondering is whether the mounting post on the Pass and Stow will put the light too close to the
leg of the rack.
If that does turn out to be the case, it would be easy to get a longer mounting bolt and a spacer sleeve to give the light a bit of standoff. Any decent hardware store will have both.
Old 02-15-20, 11:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
i have not looked at any photos, so perhaps my comment is not pertinent, but on several bicycle light mounts I used threaded rod and some nylock nuts. Many if not most hardware stores will stock M5 and M6 threaded rod, although it is galvanized, not stainless. I keep a bottle of black nail polish to touch up chaffed spots on my racks. I usually put a dab of that on the end where I hacksaw it so that rust does not form on the bare steel where I cut it.
Old 02-15-20, 05:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Are you planning on using the rack for something on top or panniers on the side? That rack is bolted together, so if you don't like where it puts the light, you can bolt a mount to the front bolt
search this: front bicycle rack light mount site:flickr.com
Old 02-15-20, 10:59 PM
E56789

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Are you planning on using the rack for something on top or panniers on the side? That rack is bolted together, so if you don't like where it puts the light, you can bolt a mount to the front bolt
search this: front bicycle rack light mount site:flickr.com
Just for a Rando bag on top.
Old 02-16-20, 07:20 AM
Koyote

Just for a Rando bag on top.
That’s a lot of rack for just a rando bag, unless you plan to carry your bowling ball around in it.
Old 02-18-20, 02:47 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I love the look of the Pass and Stow 3 rail racks and just wondered if anyone has mounted an upside down mount light.
I have already got the Edelux II and don't want to put out even more coin for a new light.
My main concern is about clearance and whether or not there are any unfortunate shadows.
The Edelux II uses the same reflector and LED than the B&M IQ-X.
The IQ-X is cheaper and offers upside-down mounting (lamp can be rotated inside the collar ring).
bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/164/produkt/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html
Old 02-18-20, 02:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

it uses the same optic and led as the Cyo Premium, one generation back from the IQ-X