Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kick stand or no kick stand?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kick stand or no kick stand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 10:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Ah!
I've both driven over and ridden over the Devil's Slide Trestles. They always look like you are riding on a 2x4 with 1500 feet of air between you and a grizzly death. By the way, this is what the trestle looks like from the other side of the canyon

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I was still about 600 feet above South Boulder Creek on that side.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-19-20, 10:35 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Someone once pointed out to me that if you are using a kickstand then you are probably not locking your bike. In the city I always can find somewhere to lean my bike, usually against to whatever I am locking it.

The complicating factor is cargo. A buddy said that the one thing he would change for our next unsupported tour was to get a kickstand. Also my spouse's townie bike has an old centre-mount kickstand. I cannot imagine getting the groceries into her basket without it.
Old 02-19-20, 12:38 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I cant seem to find one for my trike.
That's a good thing because a kickstand on a trike is definitely not cool.
Old 02-19-20, 12:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
don't think my grandfather had one, but looks like he had a front mudflap ...

Old 02-19-20, 12:56 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The drawback to a kickstand on a bike with a rear der. is that if the bikes falls it falls on the der.
Old 02-21-20, 11:00 AM
JTSpeedDemon

Bikes: Kent Rollin' Thunder 10-spd/overdrive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I will always want a kickstand. I don't find them uncool at all, and it's definitely cooler than my bike laying on the sidewalk!
Plus, like davidad said^^, It can damage bikes with rear derailleurs.
Old 02-21-20, 03:07 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Learn to braze. You can just clear coat the brazed area and call it the "burnt look". Then you shall be deemed cool again. The bolt on kickstands were always a PITA for me.
The can be a chain stay crusher also.
Old 02-23-20, 05:14 PM
Hamstring
Knuckle Dragger

Bikes: Kona Splice

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Just saved a pair of kickstands on Amazon for mine and my Wife's bikes. I like to be able to walk around catching my breath and drinking water w/o having to look at my bike laying on the ground. I gave that up when I was 13 yo. Cool? Who gives a chit?
Old 02-23-20, 06:06 PM
wltr w8 

Bikes: yep

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
So, for those interested, I was able to incorporate a kick stand into my bike build. It also happens the bike is made of PVC, but I am glad it is working for me thus far. Thanks all for your comments.

Old 02-23-20, 06:13 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wltr w8
Curious on opinions regarding the use of kick stands on urban/city bikes. Certainly understand their non use on road and mountain bikes but they can be real convenient on city bikes and not be obtrusive. However, I've heard criticism on them being not cool when using them on city bikes.
Don't live for what others think. Just do what is best.
Old 02-23-20, 06:21 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
When there is nowhere to put a kickstand, or the kickstand you have is not strong enough, be creative.

This works and is very strong. It will probably never break. It is not ideal as it adds weight to the bike. If I had aluminum parts available at the time, I would have used aluminum. When I make a new one at some time in the future, it should be better.

That was just before I replaced the tire.

I take that bike on rough tracks often. Some other bikes would have broken with what I have put that bike through. And it is fun fun fun.

Last edited by alo; 02-23-20 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For alo:
Old 02-24-20, 02:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When it comes to my bicycles I'm not too concerned about what other people think about things I put on my bike. I like a spoke protector for insurance just in case a derailleur goes out of alignment or an overshift into the spokes occurs.

I like kickstands on my touring bike. Note the plural KICKSTANDS. I have one mounted between the chainstays near the seattube and another mounted on the left chainstay/seatstay. Those make the bike quite stable and come i very handy when there is no place to lean a loaded bicycle against Such as here.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-24-20, 04:24 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
i am not cool either, i use a rear stand, same as the local cops do: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/b0017rs9sk
+1
Old 02-24-20, 04:55 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I'm tellin' ya: having seen where someone did a stand with their helmet, and not wanting to sacrifice mine, that piece of 2x4 under the pedal is the bee's knees, as my granny would say! That and a threaded bungee cord (end threads through a plastic loop) locks my brakes and ties to any available fence/pole/object. Sadly, perhaps, technology was not my saving grace this time....
Old 02-24-20, 05:19 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I'm so tired of cyclists trashing the kickstand and anyone who uses one. People buy expensive bikes and cringe any time they get the slightest scratch, but then they'll argue 'til they're blue in the face that throwing the bike down on the ground or precariously balancing it on a stone pillar is a far superior way to park it over using a kickstand. I'm so intent on making a statement about kickstands that I use a DOUBLE one just to piss anti-kickstanders off!

Seriously, though, if you carry a load on your city bike, a double kick stand (similar to a motorcycle kickstand) can really make balancing the load a lot easier any time you stop. It also serves as a makeshift repair stand if you have a blowout or broken spoke while traveling.

My opinion is to stop asking for opinions and just do what works for you.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 02-24-20, 08:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I'm so tired of cyclists trashing the kickstand and anyone who uses one. People buy expensive bikes and cringe any time they get the slightest scratch, but then they'll argue 'til they're blue in the face that throwing the bike down on the ground or precariously balancing it on a stone pillar is a far superior way to park it over using a kickstand. I'm so intent on making a statement about kickstands that I use a DOUBLE one just to piss anti-kickstanders off!
Your statement cuts both ways. I’m tried of cyclists telling me that I have to have one! Not “you should get one” but “you must have one”. I haven’t had a kickstand in 35+ years and haven’t missed it. It more or less started when I started mountain biking. A kickstand is a liability when hitting the ground after a jump. Once I stopped using it there, I just stopped seeing the utility of using it elsewhere.

I have done roughly 10,000 miles of touring...most of it on the road but some in rugged off-road terrain...and, again, I’ve not found a lack of a kickstand to be a detriment. I’ve loaded bikes with and without kickstands and don’t find the kickstand to be stable when I used on long ago.

]My opinion is to stop asking for opinions and just do what works for you.
On that we can agree.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-25-20, 08:05 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
All of my problems from not having a kickstand are solved with a toe strap or a voile strap to lash the front wheel to the down tube. It acts as both a brake and a headset lock, so it is much more stable and less likely to fall regardless of what it leans against. It only takes a few seconds to secure and remove.
Old 02-25-20, 09:07 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your statement cuts both ways. I’m tried of cyclists telling me that I have to have one! Not “you should get one” but “you must have one”. I haven’t had a kickstand in 35+ years and haven’t missed it. It more or less started when I started mountain biking.
Oh, I should have mentioned that, for a mountain bike, I would NEVER (and DIDN'T ever) use a kickstand! I belong to so many bike forums but the MTB forum is not one of them. I probably should not have assumed the OP was talking about either a commuting or touring bike. Maybe I need to re-read.
Old 02-25-20, 09:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by wltr w8
.. I've heard criticism on them being not cool when using them on city bikes.
City bikes are already not cool. So what's the question?
Old 02-25-20, 10:55 AM
wltr w8 

Bikes: yep

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Would certainly disagree with city bikes not being cool but that could be a different thread. Some with kickstands some with not. Here are a few of mine I think are really "cool".

Likes For wltr w8: