Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

1972 Schwinn Super Sport Conversion?!

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-29-19, 01:35 PM
mtarrant05

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all! Need your opinion. I picked up a 1972 Super Sport (Kool Lemon) from Facebook for $75 earlier this year. Original brooks saddle, cleaned it up. New bar tape. New tires. Basics.

Have the itch for a project and have been pondering options! Found another bike today that could be a source for parts. Here's the details:

- Throne TrackLord Bike Frame (too small for me)
- Velocity 700c wheels
- Miche Crankset (Single Speed)
- FSA Stem
- FSA Handlebars
- Look Pedals (Would resell)
- Adamo Seat (Would resell)
- Profile Design Tri Bars (Would Resell)

Could I simply put on the 700c wheels, adjust original brakes, use TruV Bottom Bracket, put on the Single Speed Miche Crankset and call it a day?

I guess if the brakes didn't fit I could swap out the handlebars, brakes etc as well.

I think there's enough here to resell and recoup the new bike cost ($200).

I know this would lighten up the Super Sport quite a bit. Worth the trouble?

Goals for this bike are something fun to ride for fitness and family rides. Would be throwing a baby on the back from time to time.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-29-19, 02:16 PM
mtarrant05

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtarrant05
Hi all! Need your opinion. I picked up a 1972 Super Sport (Kool Lemon) from Facebook for $75 earlier this year. Original brooks saddle, cleaned it up. New bar tape. New tires. Basics.

Have the itch for a project and have been pondering options! Found another bike today that could be a source for parts. Here's the details:

- Throne TrackLord Bike Frame (too small for me)
- Velocity 700c wheels
- Miche Crankset (Single Speed)
- FSA Stem
- FSA Handlebars
- Look Pedals (Would resell)
- Adamo Seat (Would resell)
- Profile Design Tri Bars (Would Resell)

Could I simply put on the 700c wheels, adjust original brakes, use TruV Bottom Bracket, put on the Single Speed Miche Crankset and call it a day?

I guess if the brakes didn't fit I could swap out the handlebars, brakes etc as well.

Goals for this bike are something fun to ride for fitness and family rides. Would be throwing a baby on the back from time to time.

Thanks for the input!
Went to add pictures but I guess I need 10 posts first! We’ll work on that so I can update here.
Old 07-29-19, 04:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Does the Super Sport have a one piece crank? That might affect your options unless you got an adapter for a modern bottom bracket.

I recently got a 1972 Varsity frame, and decided to wear the one piece crank with pride.
Old 07-29-19, 09:03 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mtarrant05
Maybe. Here are some things you'll need to figure out:
- The wheels should fit, but if the originals were 27", your brakes may not reach.
- Track hubs are 120mm wide, measured between the outside of the lock nuts. Your existing hubs are either 126 or 130mm. The rear dropouts will be spaced the same, so you would need to either add spacers to the new wheel's axle or re-space the frame.
- The Schwinn probably takes an English-threaded bottom bracket, so if that's what your bottom bracket is, it should fit. The crankarms and chainring may or not may not clear the chainstay, though.

You won't be able to just put the new bar into the old stem, or the new stem on the old fork. The Schwinn will probably have a bar with a 25.4mm clamp diameter and a 1" threaded stem, while the new stuff should be 31.8mm clamp and 1-1/8" threadless stem/steerer. You have lots of options here - you can just put modern brakes on an old bar, you can buy a different bar with a smaller center section, or you can buy a threadless adapter to run a modern stem and bar.

I don't really know anything about old Schwinns. I don't think it's a noteworthy bike, but maybe that means it's perfect for tinkering.

Thanks for the input!
Sounds perfect, then. Give it a shot. Bikes are like Lego.

Sheldon Brown's site is the bible for this kind of thing. He has a good page about fixed gear conversions here and the rest of the site is full of useful info, too.
Old 07-30-19, 07:15 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
^^^ A minor correction, rear dropout spacing for multi-speed road bikes in 1972 was 120mm, which is the same as track bikes. The dropouts were also semi-horizontal, making them ideal for a single speed or fixed gear conversion. As to the wheels and cranks, definitely 27” and one-piece (Ashtabula).

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me