Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rack bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 12:08 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Rack bolts?

Building up a super commuter/bikepacking/off road rig from frameset (Surly Ogre) and I'm wondering if Wolf tooth Anodized bottle cage bolts will be strong enough to handle rack duty. Anyone have input here? Bike will be loaded and thrown around off road pretty good, so the sheer strength of the bolt comes to mind. I want to use purple bolts against the black racks and the only ones I'm finding are anodized aluminum. I can get black grade 8.8 bolts if I need to but that may mess with my intended look
Old 02-18-20, 04:44 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Nope,no aluminium unless you like extracting sheared off bolts. Even 304 and 316 Stainless bolts are marginal but will work if you keep an eye on them, 410 is better if you can find them. Zinc plated 8.8 is best strength wise.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 02-18-20, 09:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Sacrifice the "look" for practicality and safety. I would never trust aluminum bolts for rack duty. They are barely adequate for holding water bottle cages.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-18-20, 09:42 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Aluminum bolts will 100% certainly break off during your described use. It would be foolish to try it for the sake of having purple bolts. Get some nail polish and paint the bolts if you really want it to look a certain way. Or use plain steel bolts, which will develop a nice reddish-orange colour after a few days of wet weather riding.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 02-18-20, 12:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
find some purple titanium bolts. I don't think I would use aluminum bolts on a water bottle either, I have had cages fail, I don't see how the bolts are immune.

Really, black on black looks fine in any color scheme
Old 02-18-20, 12:42 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Use the 8.8 steel bolts. Then go to your local flea market, find the guy selling outdated and\or discontinued cosmetics. They usually have a rack of finger nail polish. But a bottle in the color you like, then paint the heads of your rack bolts. If you put a drop on the threads it will act as a thread lock.
Old 02-18-20, 10:56 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I'd never use aluminum screws or bolts for any load-bearing duty. Love the idea of painting steel ones, tho!