Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 03:17 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Looks like a nice set, but I need to ask; how often do you use box wrenches on your bike? The only place on all my bikes that have a traditional hex nut is the fenders for my tourer.
I don't know about billnuke1 but I use them every day, then again we are working on 6-8 bikes a day of all varieties and ages

Box wrench uses: Axle nuts, DERs front and rear, brake pads, caliper mounting bolts, kickstands, older HB stems, older seat post clamps, seat clamps

as far as ratcheting combo wrench sets, we like the Pittsburgh 7-piece metric set from Harbor Freight typically purchased for 19.99 (with coupon) a set and comes with lifetime warranty. We supplement it with a 9mm combo ratchet wrench from another source for about $3.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-95552.html

Last edited by JoeTBM; 02-21-20 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 02-21-20, 08:05 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
What he said...I work on a variety of bikes...they all have nuts of different sizes...the twelve points help avoid rounding over the nuts and bolts...and they are purty...

Last edited by billnuke1; 02-21-20 at 08:12 AM. Reason: More words...
Old 02-21-20, 09:31 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I bought a Park 3-way Torx tool, to use with a 3T stem that uses Torx screws. Also bought a Park chain-scrubber contraption that works pretty well.
Old 02-27-20, 10:07 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm putting together a dedicated bicycle specific toolbox. Most, but not all of my special bike tools are Park or Pedros but I do have generic tools mostly along the lines of Craftsman. My latest purchase is the Craftsman 10pc metric ratcheting combination wrenches.

This weekend Harbor Freight will have the US General 30" 5 drawer rolling cart for I think $185.00 This is what I use, it is available in almost Park Blue. Very well built and a great value. I say this as an individual that has a great appreciation for quality mechanics tools.

Last edited by Thomas15; 02-27-20 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 10:20 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I recently bought a Park BFS-1 (bottom bracket facing set).

I have absolutely zero use for it. I saw it on ebay for less than half the price of a new one and the condition was "new." So I bought it. Total impulse buy. When it arrived it was indeed "new." Still in the original box and the cutter was still wrapped in plastic.

I'll probably never use it since I have no intention of buying a metal frame in the future...but the price was right! Now I have one. Makes an awesome paper weight in the garage.
Old 02-27-20, 11:51 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts

Koolstop tire bead jack . Greatest thing since sliced bread. And cheapest too. I have broken quite a few Park tire irons trying to install really tight tires and pinched tubes doing the same. This tool seems to solve both issues. Some tires are virtually impossible to mount without using this tool.

My next tool purchase will be a Park CN10 cable cutter. I have been using a pair of carpenters side cutters left over from my construction days and they tend to fray the ends of cable and have trouble cutting the straight laid derailleur cable cover.
Old 02-27-20, 12:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I bought the Wera ball-end hex key set. Will give feedback if it delights or dissapoints. The fit and finish are nice so far. Before that I got a Park spoke gage. It rubbed, and Park sent me a replacement. I like Park tools. I have a repair stand, and the TS-2.2 truing stand. Good stuff, and their customer service is very good, if you ask me.

Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 02-27-20, 12:15 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I bought the Wera ball-end hex key set. Will give feedback if it delights or dissapoints. The fit and finish are nice so far. Before that I got a Park spoke gage. It rubbed, and Park sent me a replacement. I like Park tools. I have a repair stand, and the TS-2.2 truing stand. Good stuff, and their customer service is very good, if you ask me.

I got a set of those Wera wrenches for Christmas. Wow. As far above a multi-tool as Harbor Freight set of individual Allen wrenches is, the Wera is that far again above the HF set. I was too cheap to buy them for myself, but my daughters always want to buy me something special, and this hit the spot. Now that I've got them, I'd buy my own replacement set if I lost it.
Old 02-27-20, 12:23 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Good to know, pdlamb. I sure like their feel, fit and finish. Probably not at all justified for my level of tinkering, but ... they're really nice.
Old 02-27-20, 12:27 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Regina 2-prong freewheel removal tool, with which I proceeded to shear off the thin steel flange surrounding the freewheel core. Wow, that freewheel is stuck. Will need to go to destructive means.

Armorer's spanner wrench (fits AR-15 buffer, and also has a 1911 barrel bushing), because additional spanners are always needed for odd headsets or otherwise.
Old 02-27-20, 01:24 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Chain breaker, replaced chain on my fat tire bike 6,200 miles.
Old 02-27-20, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I recently bought a Park spoke ruler, because I build wheels fairly frequently.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-27-20, 04:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
I recently bought a Park BFS-1 (bottom bracket facing set).

I have absolutely zero use for it. I saw it on ebay for less than half the price of a new one and the condition was "new." So I bought it. Total impulse buy. When it arrived it was indeed "new." Still in the original box and the cutter was still wrapped in plastic.

I'll probably never use it since I have no intention of buying a metal frame in the future...but the price was right! Now I have one. Makes an awesome paper weight in the garage.
I did the same thing when a new VAR Swiss thread (35 x 1L) bottom bracket tap was available at a decent price. I already have the VAR piloted tap handles and French thread taps, but I just couldn't resist adding Swiss to the collection.
Old 02-27-20, 05:41 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

I ran across a customer on Monday that has a set of those. Interesting how the flats of the hexes are concave. Kinda like a reversed Snap-On wrench.

Looks like a good set that I'll have to look for once I go through another set of Eklind's for my job.
Old 02-27-20, 05:53 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Latest tool purchase?

Several weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and bought a Milwaukee impact wrench. Not sure how I'll use it for bikes yet, but it sure made things easy on another job recently.
Old 02-27-20, 06:15 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Latest tool purchase?

Several weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and bought a Milwaukee impact wrench. Not sure how I'll use it for bikes yet, but it sure made things easy on another job recently.
Yes, well its kind of embarrassing to have such an expensive set of tools given that I'm a piker in bike work. But I like good tools...
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 02-27-20, 06:18 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Yes, well its kind of embarrassing to have such an expensive set of tools given that I'm a piker in bike work. But I like good tools...
Good tools last longer and are less likely to damage fasteners, etc. Cheap poorly sized tools either break too soon or ruin fasteners too often.
Old 02-27-20, 07:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
I'm putting together a dedicated bicycle specific toolbox. Most, but not all of my special bike tools are Park or Pedros but I do have generic tools mostly along the lines of Craftsman. My latest purchase is the Craftsman 10pc metric ratcheting combination wrenches.

This weekend Harbor Freight will have the US General 30" 5 drawer rolling cart for I think $185.00 This is what I use, it is available in almost Park Blue. Very well built and a great value. I say this as an individual that has a great appreciation for quality mechanics tools.
Let us know how you like the roller cart. I need something like that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-27-20, 08:33 PM
billnuke1 

Cart...

Originally Posted by Thomas15

Just picked up another one...had no choice...was dented...they were building it when they noticed the dent...marked down to $185.00 on the card...sitting, sans box, in the middle of the floor...told mgr that maybe at $150.00 I might consider it...he points to the sign behind the box...it says half off marked price!...I got it for $91.00!
I have been wanting a bigger, single box...with these two boxes I have a 6’, 10 drawer box!
You will love this box...you will need another human to help put the box onto the lower unit...I was able to lay the whole thing down and mate the two pieces by myself...second one I have built and forth or so from HF that I have built...my brother has his PhD...I have my Bt,Dt...Been there, Done that...

Original...

...new brother...nice improvements made...I put the box on top of the craftsman but it was too unstable so I just finished building it...needs stickers!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 02-28-20, 08:10 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
B-nuke, and wiz,
I have three of those dented craftsman cabinets here, Still not enough storage!* And for the wiz; never enough good tools here in the shop, I sent about a few hundert dollars to sykerocker when his shop burned down a few months ago. Suffice it to say I have been blessed beyond my means. When I kick the bucket, the War Department will be surprised that she walked by $50k in tools every day going to work. Good tools and tool storage are worth every penny! Smiles, MH
* the tool storage here is five cabinets full, and parts storage is about twenty feet of Craftsman benches with the three drawer under set up. Still not enough!
Old 02-28-20, 09:43 PM
billnuke1 

Redoin’ the shop(s) and movin’ tools and tool boxes around, just realized just how much the one feeder Craftsman triple box is overloaded...hasn’t probably been moved in twenty+ years!
I’ll utilize the pegboard that just became available...
Mad Honk, I think I’ve seen your shop...more of a mechanical playground!
Old 02-28-20, 11:40 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Just picked up another one...had no choice...was dented...they were building it when they noticed the dent...marked down to $185.00 on the card...sitting, sans box, in the middle of the floor...told mgr that maybe at $150.00 I might consider it...he points to the sign behind the box...it says half off marked price!...I got it for $91.00!
I have been wanting a bigger, single box...with these two boxes I have a 6’, 10 drawer box!
You will love this box...you will need another human to help put the box onto the lower unit...I was able to lay the whole thing down and mate the two pieces by myself...second one I have built and forth or so from HF that I have built...my brother has his PhD...I have my Bt,Dt...Been there, Done that...

Original...

...new brother...nice improvements made...I put the box on top of the craftsman but it was too unstable so I just finished building it...needs stickers!
If I keep doing bike work n my basement, I will need a tool cart like this. I bought one for my son a few years ago, and he has outgrown it.
Old 02-29-20, 08:06 AM
billnuke1 

As long as you’re down there workin’ on bikes you might as well also build a bench, get some peg board, pick up a stand...gotta nice year round place to work on your bikes, etc.
Profile doesn’t say where you reside...
Here on the Cape we didn’t get a whole lotta snow, yet...but have our share of cold...garage will get down to the 30’s...as things start to thaw out for spring, we get mud so I can’t use the outside work benches for a while, right about the time my pest control business takes off!
Anyhow, I’m envious of your basement...
Old 02-29-20, 07:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
What - Park headset cup banger-outer, the one you slip into the head tube to knock the cups out.
Why - Because it was cheap at the swap meet, cheap enough to appeal to both my cheapness and laziness; now I don't have to work on making one.

Next - Good quality cable core / housing cutter(s)
Why - Because the generic cutters I have make a dog's breakfast out of both cores and housings.
Old 02-29-20, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I needed a chain tool and didn't feel like having to ever buy one again or deal with all the new standards that come out. Life is too short for shoddy tools:

It is a beautiful tool. It feels amazing in the hands and is smooth as buttah. It was on sale so it was sort of my decemberween holiday gift otherwise I probably would have gone a touch cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.