Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cranks and Bottom Bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 11:10 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello!

A quick question from a newbie...

A week ago I had my left crank and pedal come loose while I was riding. After trying to tighten it a few times, I took my (inexpensive) bike to my LBS, and had the bottom-bracket and crank changed because of wear (I've owned the bike for about a month, and being a overweight rider, have been exceptionally careful on how I ride it).

After a few days of not being able to ride, I took my bike out yesterday evening and once again, the crank came loose. By pure luck, this happened close to a bike shop (not my regular LBS), and the guy tightened the crank saying that it would probably last for a few days, and I would probably need to change the crank again. I actually rode around 30km yesterday after the shop, and so far all seems okay.

My question is: what could be the cause of two cranks (and the BB) failing within a week? Both repair men were sure that it wasn't my weight, and acknowledged it to sub-standard quality; even though the second crank was aluminium and much better quality than the original steel unit?

Last edited by Telly; 07-02-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 12:29 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The quality of the parts do mean something . better made mean better build and will last longer. I think one of the problems you are having is the bolts or nuts holding the cranks onto the BB axle keep coming lose and in turn the crankarms are losing from the axle as you are riding and are getting destroy . One way around this is to use a treadlock on the bolts or nuts . use the blue one, that way the cranks and BB can still be service when needed.
Old 07-05-11, 08:17 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did use a tread-lock (loctite if I'm not mistaken). I tried tightening the crank down with another set of tools which fit the crank diameter a bit better, and so far after riding it for 30-40 miles it seems to be okay, although I am a bit comprehensive on starting out on a long ride since I don't want to end up pushing it in 100 degree heat!

Can you suggest a good crank make which I can order over the net? My riding style is non-aggressive, and I use my bike for commuting over paved surfaces only.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-11, 08:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
you may want to find a better mechanic. seriously anyone telling you you'll have to replace "their" crank in a couple days is a poor excuse
Old 07-05-11, 01:01 PM
jbkirby

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you may want to find a better mechanic. seriously anyone telling you you'll have to replace "their" crank in a couple days is a poor excuse
+1
Old 07-05-11, 03:29 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are using a tread lock ,then there nothing to worry about . it will hold ,no matter how far you ride . The only time the tread lock will give is when you break loose the bolt for service .any good name will work like shimano ,or FSA ,just to name a couple , here where price will matter , for a good crank set you will pay around $ 200 .00 for.
Old 07-05-11, 07:48 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Sure a good crank will cost you $, but even a box store bike shouldn't simply fall apart like this. I advise finding a new mechanic. Also, if the taper on your cranks is bad, just having the bolt secured in may not stop it from coming off again one day. You're probably fine at this point, but keep an eye on it in case it starts to get loose in the rotational direction.
Old 07-05-11, 08:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Thread lock, not tread lock.
Old 07-05-11, 08:27 PM
bikeyboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep it tourqed down. Check and tighten before it gets loose.
Old 07-05-11, 09:41 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeyboy
Keep it tourqed down. Check and tighten before it gets loose.
+1. I've never needed any thread locking compound on a bicycle component. However, you do need to make sure the attaching bolt is torqued properly. Without running to the garage, I am guessing the crank bolt on a square taper or ISIS/Octalink crank is about 30 ft-lb (~40N-m). It is quite a bit of install torque, and I use automotive tools and torque wrench. That said, I've never had a crank bolt (or any properly torqued bolt) come loose.