Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2015 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2015 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Old 09-07-15, 12:46 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Would you mind providing some feedback on the wheels? Those are the Sub 15's, right?

How long have you had them, issues, how they ride...

What you think of the bolt on design? Am I right in understanding that it uses a 5mm allen?

-Tim-
It requires an 8mm. I've had them since December with ~5k miles. The roads are pretty rough in my area and I've broken a spoke on each wheel. They stay pretty true considering the lower spoke count mixed with shredded roads. I think I'd prefer regular track nuts instead of the bolt on design, it's hard to get leverage with my multi tool when removing them on the road. Overall happy with them and feel like they're a great value in terms of price vs weight.
Old 09-07-15, 12:48 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
fwiw I've been using the sram levers and they rule. amazing ergonomics and the lack of return spring doesn't really matter. they're very snappy. the ergonomics alone trump any "flaw" they have.
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
i concur, as long as theyre connected to a brake the lack of a spring is irrelevant, i have them connected to BB7's on the ecr and theyre outstanding

It just boggles the mind as to why they don't have a return, especially at that price point.
Old 09-07-15, 05:27 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
It requires an 8mm. I've had them since December with ~5k miles. The roads are pretty rough in my area and I've broken a spoke on each wheel. They stay pretty true considering the lower spoke count mixed with shredded roads. I think I'd prefer regular track nuts instead of the bolt on design, it's hard to get leverage with my multi tool when removing them on the road. Overall happy with them and feel like they're a great value in terms of price vs weight.
I am not too fond of the bolts on these wheels either...but you do realize that one can purchase an 8mm allen wrench that takes up very little space in a tool bag and will give you more leverage, for close to nothing from any hardware store?

Last edited by IAmSam; 09-07-15 at 05:31 AM. Reason: ooops...
Old 09-07-15, 06:41 AM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use these all the time for my wheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71EpLXAyIxS._SX522_.jpg (18.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-07-15, 09:01 AM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
It just boggles the mind as to why they don't have a return, especially at that price point.
I'm guessing that SRAM figures the springs that are in EVERY SINGLE BRAKE are good enough to pop the lever back into place....especially since you can adjust spring tension on most brakes. and they're right.

Last edited by johnnytheboy; 09-07-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 10:19 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
I'm guessing that SRAM figures the springs that are in EVERY SINGLE BRAKE are good enough to pop the lever back into place....especially since you can adjust springe tension on most brakes. and they're right.

You still haven't sold me on 'em.
Old 09-07-15, 10:28 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
lol, if youre actually using them with 2 brakes its a meaningless pice of information. try some and see how they are
Old 09-07-15, 04:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Thanks man. I was looking at Mavics but saw yours and started to rethink a whole lot about my bike. Really appreciate the feedback.

Reading the discussion about the SRAM levers and it occurs to me that Kool-Stop lubricated cables might help with snap back of levers without return springs. I've always shot a bit of transmission fluid into brake cable housings to keep everything slippery. A friend of mine showed me this trick after I had a throttle cable stick on a Ford Galaxy with a 390 engine.

Just trying to add to the conversation, that's all, and not trying to convince you. Lack of quick release does seem like a non-starter.

Thanks again.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-07-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 05:24 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Reading the discussion about the SRAM levers and it occurs to me that Kool-Stop lubricated cables might help with snap back of levers without return springs. I've always shot a bit of transmission fluid into brake cable housings to keep everything slippery. A friend of mine showed me this trick after I had a throttle cable stick on a Ford Galaxy with a 390 engine.
thats interesting, tranny fluid stinks like liquified dead animals tho, so i use triflow which is lemony fresh

however, they have no problem returning when attached to a brake, all brakes have springs that are more powerful than any spring in any lever
Old 09-07-15, 06:34 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
triflow is life
Old 09-07-15, 06:41 PM
cDiff Notorious

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the look of the wheel set but I don't know if that 20/24 spoke count will hold up to my weight.
Old 09-08-15, 08:48 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by cDiff Notorious
I like the look of the wheel set but I don't know if that 20/24 spoke count will hold up to my weight.

When purchased, I weighed 175 and they didn't feel weak or fragile on my daily rides.
Old 09-08-15, 08:50 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by rex615
Very nice job on that Soma @franswa and on the photography.

Thanks man!
Old 09-08-15, 08:52 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I am not too fond of the bolts on these wheels either...but you do realize that one can purchase an 8mm allen wrench that takes up very little space in a tool bag and will give you more leverage, for close to nothing from any hardware store?

I do, in fact, realize. I searched at my local hardware stores after getting the wheelset and could not find one that was small enough to fit in my saddle bag. All I was able to find were normal sized allens.
Old 09-08-15, 09:09 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
I do, in fact, realize. I searched at my local hardware stores after getting the wheelset and could not find one that was small enough to fit in my saddle bag. All I was able to find were normal sized allens.
I used a Dremel cutting disk to cut an 8mm hex wrench down to size where it fits nicely in my very small Planet Bike Little Buddy seat bag. I've also cut the working end of hex wrenches to fit into tight places.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-08-15, 09:15 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

When purchased, I weighed 175 and they didn't feel weak or fragile on my daily rides.
175 lbs is not very heavy when it comes to bicycles. Clydes start at 220 lbs, and that's where you usually begin to see problems with superlight weight components. Still, if you've experienced broken spokes, then I won't be interested in those wheels even though I'm a lot lighter at less than 135 lbs. Spokes should NEVER break.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-08-15, 09:17 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've weighed upwards of 210 when I got my first pair of 20/24 wheels. I'm now 195 and rolling on 20/24 enve's. They have no issues even with an occasional bunny hop.

Old 09-08-15, 10:05 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you even fixie,bro? This is my ISP Leader 735, built from parts I just had laying around minus pedals and straps. I'd buy a new steel frame but I'm worried my steerer is cut too short for any other bike in my size.

Old 09-08-15, 12:42 PM
cDiff Notorious

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I've weighed upwards of 210 when I got my first pair of 20/24 wheels. I'm now 195 and rolling on 20/24 enve's. They have no issues even with an occasional bunny hop.
Enve and the Wabi wheel set are of different quality though
Old 09-08-15, 01:55 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Enve and the Wabi wheel set are of different quality though
I've also run Reynolds and Real Design wheels at 20/24. All of which were carbon clinchers on a road bike, but I'd bet the Wabi wheels are better quality than the Real Design ones were.

Old 09-08-15, 11:33 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Do you even fixie,bro? This is my ISP Leader 735, built from parts I just had laying around minus pedals and straps. I'd buy a new steel frame but I'm worried my steerer is cut too short for any other bike in my size.

Really needs a black tire, and yes, I "fixie bro."
Old 09-09-15, 07:25 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
You still haven't sold me on 'em.
They're super comfy. Sold now?
Old 09-09-15, 09:08 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Major update to the drivetrain on my Bianchi Super Pista Concept. New Sugino 75 DD (direct drive) crankset with Zen chainring, Genetic Syngenic Look Delta compatible clipless road pedals and SRAM PC-7X chain. The first photo is the old setup with Sugino 75 square taper cranks that came with the bike in 2006, Shimano Dura Ace first generation pedals that were actually made in France by Look and the badly worn Izumi ESH chain. The new drivetrain is soooo much smoother and quieter than the old one, and about 0.3 lbs lighter with 0.2 lbs of that coming from the crankset/BB and the remainder from the pedals. The finish on the cranks is first class and I protected the cranks by using pedal washers. The chainring bolts are alloy T30 and the nuts are steel serrated that come permanently pressed into the cranks so there's no need to hold them when tightening the bolts.

Attached Images
IMGP2083.jpg (102.0 KB, 98 views)
IMGP2096.jpg (104.1 KB, 86 views)
IMGP2097.jpg (104.2 KB, 108 views)
IMGP2098.jpg (102.9 KB, 75 views)
IMGP2099.jpg (103.4 KB, 77 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 09-09-15, 09:45 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Looking good!

What ratio are you running on that?
Old 09-09-15, 10:17 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Really needs a black tire, and yes, I "fixie bro."
Yeah, it does. Just waiting for one to pop up in the free tire pile outside the bike shop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.