Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Panniers & shimmy?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Panniers & shimmy?

Old 12-24-19, 04:41 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I remember those, if you had any weight on the rack and hit a bump, the clamp holding the rack would slip down the seatstays and jam against the brakes. If you had sidepulls, your brakes were locked up unless you brought some tools with you and nobody carried that set of tools on the bike.
There was a T-shape piece of metal that bolted to the rack and had a hole that went over the brake bolt to stop the rack from sliding down.

Cheers.
Old 12-24-19, 08:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
There was a T-shape piece of metal that bolted to the rack and had a hole that went over the brake bolt to stop the rack from sliding down.

Cheers.
Those were added a few years after I worked at the bike shop. There were some after market ones that people could buy as an extra that functioned the same way, but a lot of customers did not buy them when they bought the racks. I sometimes would use a short piece of wire to try to prevent the rack from sliding down, hung the wire from a seatpost clamp bolt or a centerpull brake cable hanger, but they did not look very good cosmetically, so store management frowned upon that.