Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Local "cycling" attorney

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Local "cycling" attorney

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 06:58 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Local "cycling" attorney

Saw an ad during the football game yesterday for a local attorney advertising for bicycling related cases. Well produced for a local ad, it showed the attorney in full kit with his bike saying that although cycling is generally a safe activity, sometimes accidents happen and his firm has experience with hundreds of such cases. In a relatively small market (the metro area is under 300K), I was a bit surprised at that number, although I don't believe the time period was specified. But the firm must think there are a fair number of potential cases out there to justify what I would think would be a relatively expensive ad.
Old 01-05-20, 09:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
...on the other hand, if the bike and kit were used in an advertisement for the business, they may become deductible as a business expense, or subsidized by the firm. Also, while the market for bicycle-injury attorneys may not be big now, they may be planting a flag so that if it does become a thing they can claim they were the first to pioneer bicycle injury law in the area and have the most experience.
Old 01-05-20, 02:19 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
This does not surprise me. Considering a 10 km/hr collision with a car, the cyclist is going to the hospital and potential payout from any legal action will be huge. And in turn the lawyer's legal fee.
Likes For blue192:
Old 01-05-20, 02:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
In a small city, if there is one cycling mortality a year, there may well be over 100 cycling accidents/injuries a year. Not all will seek out a lawyer, but some will.

Many of the payouts will be small, but there will be some large ones too. Nonetheless, take in a hundred cases of a few thousand dollars, and it would pay the wages of an attorney. And, the big payouts will be cream on top.

Traffic defence cases?

And, if there aren't that many cases, a cycling advocate may try to snag as many cycling related cases as possible, plus the more bread and butter cases (like drafting wills for cyclists).

Last edited by CliffordK; 01-05-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 09:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
...on the other hand, if the bike and kit were used in an advertisement for the business, they may become deductible as a business expense, or subsidized by the firm.
I think he was referring to the cost of buying TV time during a sporting event. That would be a business expense.
Old 01-15-20, 09:06 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
This does not surprise me. Considering a 10 km/hr collision with a car, the cyclist is going to the hospital and potential payout from any legal action will be huge. And in turn the lawyer's legal fee.
That’s not necessarily true...it depends on the insurance coverages and assets. Typically you’ll end up with half of the settlement after attorneys fees and expenses - the most outrageous of which are doctor narratives.

I strongly recommend all of you ask your auto insurance providers if you have medical protection as a pedestrian under a coverage, and if you do - jack that coverage up. This stuff varies by state law.
Old 01-15-20, 09:15 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think he was referring to the cost of buying TV time during a sporting event. That would be a business expense.
Plenty of people would try to deduct the bike and kit. Hell, if he’s riding to court and to clients from a firm that he owns, he can likely take a piece of the bike that way. The kit - Probably not, but many would take it under “boots and uniforms”. Won’t stand up if audited.

In thinking about it more, he MIGHT have an argument that by branding himself as the bike attorney, riding around in kit is marketing. Stick his firm name on the kit...
Old 01-15-20, 09:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Plenty of people would try to deduct the bike and kit. Hell, if he’s riding to court and to clients from a firm that he owns, he can likely take a piece of the bike that way. The kit - Probably not, but many would take it under “boots and uniforms”. Won’t stand up if audited.

In thinking about it more, he MIGHT have an argument that by branding himself as the bike attorney, riding around in kit is marketing. Stick his firm name on the kit...

As an attorney, I'm going to strongly recommend not riding around in kit that tells drivers that you are an attorney.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-15-20, 09:57 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by livedarklions
As an attorney, I'm going to strongly recommend not riding around in kit that tells drivers that you are an attorney.

People like us CPAs more!

After a few legal dealings (one bike related injury, one divorce proceeding) I’d be tempted to take a run at you myself
Old 01-15-20, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

People like us CPAs more!

After a few legal dealings (one bike related injury, one divorce proceeding) I’d be tempted to take a run at you myself

I've always marveled at the lack of common sense exhibited by attorneys who drive around with "ESQ" on their personalized plates. We're supposed to be good at anticipating other people's reactions.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-20-20, 03:06 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I strongly recommend all of you ask your auto insurance providers if you have medical protection as a pedestrian under a coverage, and if you do - jack that coverage up. This stuff varies by state law.
As I understand it, as a general rule of thumb, at least in the US, PIP coverage covers your medical bills in any collision involving a motor vehicle -- even if you were a pedestrian or a cyclist and got hit by a car.

But ... it must be a collision with a motor vehicle -- if you collide with another cyclist, or crash into a pole on your own, it will not pay. There must be a motor vehicle involved.

Also, your name must be on the policy. I think your PIP coverage will cover people in your car even if not on your policy, but it won't cover them if they're not in your car and not on the policy.

And finally, at least in Texas (I have been through this personally), PIP payments can cover things that are already paid for -- for example, a car hits you while you're riding your bike. You have $20,000 in medical bills (bonafide, not the inflated amounts they like to throw at the uninsured.) Your health insurance pays $19,000 of that, and you pay the remaining $1000. Suppose you have $10,000 of PIP coverage, so you submit the bills to your PIP provider, and if they deem the amounts to be reasonable and proper (and the fact that your health insurance actually paid is a good sign), they'll send you a check for $10,000 -- and your health insurance has no rights to subrogate that, so you did indeed get paid $9000 more than you spent, and this is all proper.

That said, the larger the PIP coverage and the larger the medical bills, the more that the provider may decide that "these medical bills are not proper" and sometimes with large dollar figures you have to get a lawyer to help deal with your own insurance company. (And the lawyer wants 1/3rd, so it's not a decision to take lightly.) But for smaller amounts they tend to not give you too much grief.

Last edited by dougmc; 01-20-20 at 03:11 PM.