Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why carry a multi tool?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why carry a multi tool?

Old 01-02-20, 06:41 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have one in every one of my seat bags. I rarely use them. I have never regretted having them.
Myself as well, sort of. I only have two bikes. Both have identical wheel size, tires, tubes, etc. so carry tools are identical and I just move the seat post and top tube bag form bike to bike. I have handlebar camera bag and a bracket on each bike so it too swaps easily. I do carry a multi-tool, always have. Rarely used. I carry a two Allen wrenches in the top tube bag, one of which has seen the most use, for seat adjustments.
Old 01-02-20, 10:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
For a minimalist tool option, if you choose to carry one at all, I typically recommend the Tom7 from SKS. Nice little pouch, good steel.
2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6mm,T25 and a Phillips

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-06-20, 12:28 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I carried a full complement of tools. Then I thought it was a bit overkill, took out the chain tool. A week later someone was disabled on the bike trail with a broken chain, I could have taken out two links and got them going. I put the chain tool back in my kit. I don't mind the weight, just having to take the trunk bag off when the bike is chained at the library, but I would have to do that anyway to keep just the bag from being stolen.

I carried individual tools, but when buying a used trunk bag at goodwill, there was a Topeak bike multitool inside, super bonus. Now I carry that.

That Rocket Ratchet above looks really slick, I might check into that. But I can't recall a road event that would need the speed of a ratchet versus just a wrench. My most common road maladies and tools required:
  • Flat tire; Tire levers, sticky patches, spare tube, pump. I also have nutted axles so need a wrench, I carry a small adjustable one.
  • Broken spoke; Spoke wrench to retrue to make it home. I also carry spare spokes but if it's on the cassette side, I won't have the tools, a lockring tool and big enough wrench is just too much weight.
  • Loose crank; Correct size allen wrench.
  • Loose pedal; adjustable wrench.
  • Broken chain: Chain tool.
  • Front derailleur limit off adjustment; Small phillips screwdriver. Note: This can also help you get home if the cable breaks so you can adjust it into the right ring.
  • Broken derailleur cable: Spare cable and cutters (yes you could coil the cable end but I carry one long enough for the rear derailleur so that's a lot of excess for the front), or limp home as noted above.
  • Massive pothole bends side of rim; For the axle nuts, I carry an adjustable wrench, and that doubles to bend the rim back out or in.

EDIT: I'm really impressed with Topeak over the years in terms of innovation, those folks are thinking. But that tiny torque wrench from Feedback looks slick. However I have never needed a torque wrench on the trail, I can approximate things pretty good. The main thing I use a torque wrench for is the bolt holding the rear cassette body to the axle, that needs to be right on. For at home, Harbor Freight sells click-stop torque wrenches for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive, on sale all the time for $10 (regular $30 but this is a "loss leader" to get you in the store), and believe it or not, they are not bad, they work. Only once, the calibration ring came loose on one, and I thought for a minute, then adjusted the calibration ring so the spring just engaged when the dial was at zero; I later checked against another wrench, it was right on.
If you're committed to hauling a full kit then you should get the Unior emergency cassette lock ring tool, or the more deluxe Stein tool. These are small pieces that engage the dropout or seat stay and allow you to pedal off the lockring.
Old 01-06-20, 12:50 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Hero Kit multitool, the thinnest and flattest I've found that features useful chain and spoke tools.
That looks great, and a fantastic price (currently $20 online). The main weakness I see is no outside-hex wrenches. I carry a three-way 8/9/10mm wrench (although the bike is all allen-head bolts, but helpful to others) and a thin 14/15mm for axle nuts and pedals, and a small adjustable wrench for the other side of the axle. On a road bike with quick release axles, I could ditch the adjustable wrench. But on my townie with axle nuts and a big trunk bag, I go big.
Old 01-06-20, 01:47 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowJoeCrow
If you're committed to hauling a full kit then you should get the Unior emergency cassette lock ring tool, or the more deluxe Stein tool. These are small pieces that engage the dropout or seat stay and allow you to pedal off the lockring.
"I suppose...", said Eeyore. That might conflict with my goal to get a lockring with a thicker flange to prevent the chain from getting jammed between the lockring and frame, though that happens very rarely. (And I got a spacer washer to space out the cassette, but decided against as that, or a spacer under the lockring, as either would reduce lockring thread engagement.)
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 01-06-20, 03:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
That looks great, and a fantastic price (currently $20 online). The main weakness I see is no outside-hex wrenches. I carry a three-way 8/9/10mm wrench (although the bike is all allen-head bolts, but helpful to others) and a thin 14/15mm for axle nuts and pedals, and a small adjustable wrench for the other side of the axle. On a road bike with quick release axles, I could ditch the adjustable wrench. But on my townie with axle nuts and a big trunk bag, I go big.
Yup, a friend carries a Silca tool roll on his disc brake road bike for the same reason.

Fortunately, the old QR skewers are their own tools. One less thing to carry separately. But if I ever get a disc brake bike I'll need a larger bag than my Lezyne Road Caddy.
Old 01-06-20, 03:36 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by acidlung
For older bikes, fixies, and anything with bolt-on wheels, my favorite is an old, discontinued multi-tool from the early 90's that integrated a crescent wrench, chain tool, and 15 mm socket (easily substituted with a 14mm) called a Cool Tool.
I have had many multi tools, but none as useful as my Cool Tool. Unfortunately, a piece fell out of the crescent wrench part after a few seasons and most of the other parts have since wandered away. I still occasionally see a 6mm allen key with a Philips head drift past when I rummage through my parts bin.
Old 01-06-20, 06:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I use my multi-tool way more than I fix flats.

Should I stop carrying a pump?
Old 01-06-20, 09:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
I carry one in my pocket most of the time and generally always try to carry one while riding. I don't use it super often but do use it on occasion. I wouldn't want to go without one. Sure a lot of stuff can be punctures but those times when they are not or if you might be running non-qr skewers or thru-axles or maybe a bolt is loose or something knocks the stem out of whack especially on a quill stem. You never know what you might run into.

I wouldn't take a ton of tools but my Crank Bros M10 is a super handy tool and has gotten me out of a few pickles.
Old 01-06-20, 10:39 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I use my multi-tool way more than I fix flats.

Should I stop carrying a pump?
You do and the Flat Gods will have a field day.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-07-20, 06:28 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
You can fix lots of things with it. Including a frayed cable (you can replace the cable if you have one, which I do on multi-day rides). I usually carry a allen, screwdriver, chain-tool one, and a swiss army type one.

I've used it a lot of times: loose bottle cages, improvising a fix when a cable broke, fixing a broken chain (you need a chain-tool, like the one any decent multi tool has), and even bent back a firend derailleur hanger with the multi tool pliers once. He fell on the first day of a 4 days ride, and after that the derailleur interfered with the spokes.

On multi day rides I also carry a replacement derailleur hanger, shifter cable, a couple of spare brake pads and 4 or 5 zip ties. You can fix almost anything with a zip tie, and they weight next to nothing. Not that I care about weight, since I don't race and don't really care about comparing myself to others.

I know people who don't carry one. All of them have had to call a relative to pick them up at least once.

I only called my wife once, when I got sick. Never had to do it for a mechanical issue.

Last edited by Amt0571; 01-07-20 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 10:25 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I can't believe anyone rides WITHOUT one. I've had cleats comes loose, thru axles come loose, my buddy's water bottle cage bolts came loose on our last ride. I've used the flathead screwdriver to pick out peanut butter mud from my shoes and pedals. I can only imagine I'll need it in the future for all sorts of things as well..
Old 01-07-20, 10:29 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I did one ride last year without a multi tool. Can you guess on which ride my chain decided to break?
Old 01-08-20, 11:44 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. Yes, I carry one; but I've never used it.
I am the most unfortunate person in the world when it comes to flats, I always find a way to run over a tiny piece of glass or a tiny hunk of wire on the ground. That said I ride with a person who has not had a flat out on the rode for years, they might consider not bringing tubes, patch kit or frame pump along since "They never use it". I find having a multi tool very important, I once had my saddle start to rattle a bit, I got off the bike, checked it and it was ready to fall off. I used my multi tool and was back on the road. I have used a multi-tool on rides to tighten up another persons rim brake attachment and tighten a seat post as well. Within reason I like to be able to help someone out who's stuck but no, I'm not carrying a bike stand with me on a ride. I don't think the weight / space penalty to be that significant that I'm going to toss the multi tool out of my saddle bag ever.
Old 01-08-20, 12:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
I've used a multi-tool more times than I can count, on my bike and others, including this past Sunday morning to make a small seat post height adjustment (final tweak after installing a new saddle). It scares me to ride without one. That's guaranteed to be the time you need it most.
Old 01-08-20, 01:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I needed my shorty Hero Kit multi tool a couple of days ago on a test ride after installing a new saddle. Sure thought I'd cranked the bolt snug but it worked loose. First time that's happened to me.

The short bit cleared my rear mounted video camera. My longer multi tool wouldn't.
Old 01-08-20, 02:30 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
I carry one of these. At 92 grams and extremely small, I like it.
Yes I've had reason to use it. Most recently on a rim brake pivot bolt.
Even has a chain tool.

Topeak Ninja 16

OH and if you're in CA.... Many don't know AAA will come get you and your bike. Really - https://calstate.aaa.com/membership/...p=not_assigned

Told you so !

Last edited by Barry2; 01-08-20 at 02:36 PM. Reason: AAA
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-09-20, 05:57 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. In my experience, 99% of mechanicals are flat tires, the rest are things a multi-tool can't fix- frayed cable, broken saddle bolt. Yes, I carry one; but I've never used it.
mechanicals i had myself included loose bolts on chainwheels, stems, seatposts, bottlecages.. boken chains... all of which a multitool can be used fixing. Then, there is a chance you might meet some other person with a bike not as well maintained as your own.
Old 01-09-20, 08:40 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I carry a crank bros M19. I hope I don't have to use it but I also hope that if I have a need and unzip my bag, there it is.
Old 01-31-20, 07:57 AM
Umeme
Frontiers...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
...Seen lots of other people on group rides who needed one but I'm not in the rescue business.
It's not rescue business, it's common courtesy, which is a part of humanity.
Old 01-31-20, 08:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Umeme
It's not rescue business, it's common courtesy, which is a part of humanity.
Taken out of context. He said he doesn't carry a tool because he feels he's never needed one for himself. I think it a stretch to imply he should start carrying a tool out of common courtesy for others who haven't brought their own tool with them.
Old 01-31-20, 08:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm not sure if I have a multi tool in my flat tire bag or not. I can tell you I haven't missed it. I have started carrying a tiny needle nose pliers for finding and pulling out those pesky steel belt radial wires.
Old 01-31-20, 08:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm not sure if I have a multi tool in my flat tire bag or not. I can tell you I haven't missed it. I have started carrying a tiny needle nose pliers for finding and pulling out those pesky steel belt radial wires.
Yeah.. getting those buggers out is a pain. Looking at some rubber tipped jewelry/hobby tweezers for this purpose. Really though only need something 2-3" long, but can't find anything less than 5". Nail clippers might work if dulled on the cutting edge.
Old 01-31-20, 09:00 AM
Umeme
Frontiers...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Taken out of context. He said he doesn't carry a tool because he feels he's never needed one for himself. I think it a stretch to imply he should start carrying a tool out of common courtesy for others who haven't brought their own tool with them.
You have now taken my reply out of context, I'm not implying that.

My point was, if you have water, band-aid or multi-tool with you, and you see a fellow rider in distress, it's a common courtesy to stop and ask if they need help.
Old 01-31-20, 10:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
On mountain bike rides I also carry a replacement derailleur hanger...
I borrowed the statement above and applied it to my situation. Very likely to bend a rear derailleur or hanger when mountain biking. Shadow-type derailleurs have lowered the odds slightly...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.