Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A gentle note to BF members

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A gentle note to BF members

Old 01-10-20, 11:33 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Watch me, Buster. Lol

This going to be two wheel drive?
Old 01-10-20, 12:00 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I love turkey wings, stem shifters, dork discs, reflectors, foam grips, $5 tires and 30lb steel frames.

That is all.
Old 01-10-20, 12:04 PM
riva
low end rider

I just ran into this thread, but its a two way street though isn't it. Its true forums can be harsh, but on the flip side people need to have a thicker skin about what they like. If you like a style of bike (or anything) that others find dorky, who cares own it!
Likes For riva:
Old 01-10-20, 12:42 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by riva
I just ran into this thread, but its a two way street though isn't it. Its true forums can be harsh, but on the flip side people need to have a thicker skin about what they like. If you like a style of bike (or anything) that others find dorky, who cares own it!
The best part of it, the various personalities and strong sense of sarcasm and humor.
Old 01-10-20, 12:44 PM
riva
low end rider

Right, what a boring hobby it would be if it were monolithic in style. The cool kids need us guys with the wack stuff, if everybody had the same cool stuff then it wouldn't be cool anymore. Symbiosis..
Likes For riva:
Old 01-10-20, 12:45 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I don't think I've seen many instances of long term members being rude here when it wasn't called for. No one/group is perfect, but this is a pretty genteel place.

If you're getting attacked here, odds are pretty good that you provoked it.
Old 01-10-20, 12:47 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I don't mind a little snark or jibe as long as the intent is not mean or demeaning to the OP or person who commented. I don't like emojis, but sometimes they help to define the reply to those of us that may be a bit sensitive.
Old 01-10-20, 04:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
I will not be dragged kicking and screaming into correctness based on someone's feelings, nor is there a moral superiority in either. But I do prefer friendly to hostile.
Old 01-10-20, 05:48 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
UK Fan,
From an IU fan you can sympathize with the cross border jabs, but the behavior of being hateful is what will drive me over the edge. As a former IU coach I have had plenty of jabs thrown up at me. Luckily I was a Golf coach and had a great relationship with the UK golf coaching staff. But the basket ball stuff is what "kicks in" most of the time. Rivalries etc. But when it comes to bikes, they are personal items, and they are inanimate objects, and don't have personalities. What they look like and how they fit into other's view, shouldn't be our issue. Here is one example from me: I have a 1986 Schwinn Peloton, and I am quite happy with it. I got as a restoration from an accident that broke the rear dropout. After re-brazing the drop out and repainting I never decalled it. It was damaged in a house fire and now has been repainted yet again. It's new decal set is one of my choice. My choice of a different down tube set and special decals that are not "Schwinn correct" but the bike will be labeled correctly. I am sure someone will call a foul on me for my choices. But! It is my bike and my choice to decal it as I see fit. Getting older I am getting a bit thicker skin, but some times there are few folks who find a way to get under it. Go UK! Smiles, MH
Old 01-10-20, 05:55 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
UK Fan,
From an IU fan you can sympathize with the cross border jabs, but the behavior of being hateful is what will drive me over the edge. As a former IU coach I have had plenty of jabs thrown up at me. Luckily I was a Golf coach and had a great relationship with the UK golf coaching staff. But the basket ball stuff is what "kicks in" most of the time. Rivalries etc. But when it comes to bikes, they are personal items, and they are inanimate objects, and don't have personalities. What they look like and how they fit into other's view, shouldn't be our issue. Here is one example from me: I have a 1986 Schwinn Peloton, and I am quite happy with it. I got as a restoration from an accident that broke the rear dropout. After re-brazing the drop out and repainting I never decalled it. It was damaged in a house fire and now has been repainted yet again. It's new decal set is one of my choice. My choice of a different down tube set and special decals that are not "Schwinn correct" but the bike will be labeled correctly. I am sure someone will call a foul on me for my choices. But! It is my bike and my choice to decal it as I see fit. Getting older I am getting a bit thicker skin, but some times there are few folks who find a way to get under it. Go UK! Smiles, MH
Sorry, Mad Honk, I deleted my comments. It just isn't worth it to bring all that back up again and thought better about leaving it in the thread. Yeah, my incident left a bad taste in my mouth for the forums, but many might say I'm just a wimp. Ok... fine.
Old 01-10-20, 06:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Well wimpy dude, how about paying you tomorrow for a hamburger today? The folks out there who will get your knickers twisted aren't worth dealing with, in the larger scheme of things. Some times it is better to just have a beer and forget about the dust-up. But it is not always possible to do so. So when that happens you have to remember that You are in control of Your life and no one else is. Your destiny, Your wife, and Your life. It is all Yours and no one else can get into it and change it for you. JMHO, Mad Honk
Old 01-10-20, 09:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I woulda gone with a Gentle Ben to BF members.

Old 01-10-20, 09:19 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 255 Posts
Hi the OP here.

I was shocked to go online today to see that this thread was revived. Thanks all for your imput!
Old 01-10-20, 09:41 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
We are not all "Nice".
You sure as hell aren't!

Wonder what really caused the thread to rekindle?

edit and why can I cuss?
Old 01-10-20, 09:48 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
You sure as hell aren't!

edit and why can I cuss?
You can say hell. But you can't say pig****er.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-10-20, 09:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

hard to believe...
Old 01-11-20, 05:06 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Why do I have to be nice to folks who build a fake bike??
I agree 100% there should no hazing or profanity.
But fake bikes (tribute bikes, honorary bikes, in memoriam bikes, movie bikes, etc) are forgeries.
Fake bikes detract from our collective integrity, especially taking a cheapo and painting/decaling as a classic.
You want a bike in Molteni Orange - fine - but don't put Merckx stickers on your beautiful orange GMC Denali.

The - "It will never be sold (by me)!" is hollow BS - woeful excuse.
If this were a Rolex Forum and I proudly displayed my $8.00 Hong Kong copy - should I expect Praise and Kindness?
If this were a Camera Forum and I stuck Nikon stickers on a Barbie camera should I be held up as an icon of dream fulfillment?

"But I always dreamed of owning one" = more BS.
I want to go to Mars, but if I built a rocketship on my front lawn, even a very authentic looking Titan V, should my neighbors applaud my creation?

Honesty delivered with a tempered attitude is the best policy..
Fake bikes are not honest!

Civility is admirable.
But we have more to give than praise.

and i do not intend to restrain my opinion on the next forgery thread.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-11-20 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-11-20, 07:29 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
But fake bikes (tribute bikes, honorary bikes, in memoriam bikes, movie bikes, etc) are forgeries.
Fake bikes detract from our collective integrity, especially taking a cheapo and painting/decaling as a classic.
You want a bike in Molteni Orange - fine - but don't put Merckx stickers on your beautiful orange GMC Denali.

The - "It will never be sold (by me)!" is hollow BS - woeful excuse.
If this were a Rolex Forum and I proudly displayed my $8.00 Hong Kong copy - should I expect Praise and Kindness?
If this were a Camera Forum and I stuck Nikon stickers on a Barbie camera should I be held up as an icon of dream fulfillment?

"But I always dreamed of owning one" = more BS.
I want to go to Mars, but if I built a rocketship on my front lawn, even a very authentic looking Titan V, should my neighbors applaud my creation?

Honesty delivered with a tempered attitude is the best policy..
Fake bikes are not honest!

Civility is admirable.
But we have more to give than praise.

I think Ann Lamott put it well when she said something like "you don't always have to chop with the sword of truth. You can point with it, too."

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 01-11-20, 07:34 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
You sure as hell aren't!

edit and why can I cuss?
Spent a couple of weeks in Halifax in August. That was nice.
Old 01-11-20, 07:56 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Spent a couple of weeks in Halifax in August. That was nice.
You got me. You're alright.
Old 01-11-20, 08:16 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

That right THERE ^.
Old 01-11-20, 08:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I think Ann Lamott put it well when she said something like "you don't always have to chop with the sword of truth. You can point with it, too."
I never chop off their heads, But I take it you want me to point out the errors of their actions. Which I will.

The quality of the work is usually commendable. The deception well intentioned. But the finished product a fraud, hidden to most who see it.

If someone is offended their misdirected talent and hard efforts are not universally admired and appreciated, well...... so be it.
edit: and if i'm alone in this opinion, i'm OK with that too.

But that's JMHO.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-11-20 at 08:46 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-11-20, 08:33 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 08:38 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
“Collectomania” may with some reason be looked upon as a comedy in which the leading parts are taken by the Collector, the Dealer, and the Faker, supported by minor but not less interesting characters, such as imitators, restorers, middlemen, et hoc genus omne, each of whom could tell more than one attractive tale.

In analysing the Faker one must dissociate him from the common forger; his semi-artistic vocation places him quite apart from the ordinary counterfeiter; he must be studied amid his proper surroundings, and with the correct local colouring, so to speak, and his critic may perchance find some slight modicum of excuse for him. Beside him stand the Imitator, from whom the faker often originates, the tempter who turns the clever imitator into a faker, and the middleman who lures on the unwary collector with plausible tales.

It is not the object of this volume to study the Faker by himself, but to trace his career through the ages in his appropriate surroundings, and compare the methods adopted by him at various periods of history, so far as they may be obtained.

Ethically, there is a strict line drawn between the imitator and the forger, but in practice this line is by no means rigid. Many imitators place their goods before the public as imitations; others tacitly permit their work to be sold as genuinely antique, influenced no doubt by the fact that though possibly12 the imitation and the original may possess equal merit, the one is handicapped by modernity, the other is hallowed by age. The inexperienced and unwary collector is in most cases the innocent originator of fraud; if there were no buyer there would be no seller. Too often fashion leads folly, and so fictitious values are created, and as demand increases so, too, do the sources of supply, but unhappily they are frequently not legitimate.

RICCARDO NOBILI.

Ville Marie,
Via Dante da Castiglione 3,
Florence.

The gentle art of fakeing
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-11-20, 08:42 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Likes For thinktubes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.