Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 01-13-20, 07:37 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
PugRider Testor's Red is a good match. Your paint doesn't look too bad and the Classic's 86 red and white is very attractive. However, Robbie has done wonderful things to IMs that needed a repaint.
Old 01-13-20, 07:38 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Yep, it's an 86. 85's were friction shifting 600. Has the much prettier fork crown, too.

The DC levers were OEM, guess the Shimano levers were either unavailable or too 'spensive to include. BTW, I have excellent examples of both the 6208 (non aero) and 6209 (aero, in same bronze finish) levers, either of which could have been spec'd with that 6208 group if Centurion had been willing to pony up. Excellent hoods on 'em, too.

If you like those pedals, I can send you a nice pair, prolly with toe clips and straps. Might be 105's instead of 600's but they look and work the same.
Cool, 86 it is. I will say the Dia-Compe levers and hoods are in great shape. Thanks for the offer on the pedals; I may try to tinker around with these, I was scanning Ebay last night and saw they have replacement toe clips out there. We'll see--most of my bikes have SPD clipless pedals, so I might end up just going that route if it's a keeper.
Old 01-13-20, 07:46 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Originally Posted by madpogue
+1 on the '86, good catch on TriBiker19's part. The specs match my '86, right down to the Aero Gran Compe brake levers. I think it was mentioned somewhere way up-thread that the Shimano 600 aero levers weren't quite ready for the '86 model year rollout.

Also, I think it's a 54cm. Mine's a 56, and it has a finger-width or so more head tube. RobbieTunes has one or two (or ten or...) 54s, so he might have a better sense visually.

Tough call on the finish. Yeah, it's one of the rougher ones seen here. OTOH, those graphics may not be much fun to match.

And yes, without poring over the >8000 posts in this thread, I'd be willing to bet a nickel you win the award for the best effing deal on one of these yet.
Yeah I couldn't quite tell with the sizing. Just seemed weird to have center to top of seat tube (I said seatpost earlier, I meant seat tube) be exactly 55.8 and have them round down to 54 instead of up to 56. At any rate, I'm not too finicky with bike sizing, my sweet spot seems to be in the 56 to 58 range, but I've ridden larger and smaller sizes comfortably. Older road bikes kinda stretch you out, too, and I have a nice long old Ritchey stem if it comes to that.

I do get lucky sometimes. Not like some people here, but I do get lucky. It was advertised in the "bike parts" section as a 2 for 1 deal with a clapped-out 24-inch kids bike. When I made the offer on the Centurion after telling the seller it was going to be more work that I thought, he looked at me and said "yeah, ok, but will you still take the other one?" The Magna had a nice pair of Shimano Revoshift shifters on there that I will put on another bike.
Old 01-13-20, 07:49 AM
PugRider

Originally Posted by Classtime
PugRider Testor's Red is a good match. Your paint doesn't look too bad and the Classic's 86 red and white is very attractive. However, Robbie has done wonderful things to IMs that needed a repaint.
Thanks, I will say it's nice not to have to deal with oddball colors--looks to be just red and white. Before getting back into bikes I was a pretty rabid scale model enthusiast, so may have some Testor's red hanging around right now.
Old 01-13-20, 07:59 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
Yeah I couldn't quite tell with the sizing. Just seemed weird to have center to top of seat tube (I said seatpost earlier, I meant seat tube) be exactly 55.8 and have them round down to 54 instead of up to 56. At any rate, I'm not too finicky with bike sizing, my sweet spot seems to be in the 56 to 58 range, but I've ridden larger and smaller sizes comfortably. Older road bikes kinda stretch you out, too, and I have a nice long old Ritchey stem if it comes to that.

I do get lucky sometimes. Not like some people here, but I do get lucky. It was advertised in the "bike parts" section as a 2 for 1 deal with a clapped-out 24-inch kids bike. When I made the offer on the Centurion after telling the seller it was going to be more work that I thought, he looked at me and said "yeah, ok, but will you still take the other one?" The Magna had a nice pair of Shimano Revoshift shifters on there that I will put on another bike.
I ride 54cm and that sizing does look like my bike. If you ever want to part with it, let me know. I'm below the "quota" my husband has given me for climate controlled bike space...And while he knows I'm currently looking for a Panasonic or Bridgestone, I'm positive he won't be surprised if another Centurion showed up on the bike rack.

You found it on CL?
Old 01-13-20, 08:08 AM
PugRider

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I ride 54cm and that sizing does look like my bike. If you ever want to part with it, let me know. I'm below the "quota" my husband has given me for climate controlled bike space...And while he knows I'm currently looking for a Panasonic or Bridgestone, I'm positive he won't be surprised if another Centurion showed up on the bike rack.

You found it on CL?
Haha I hear you. I will keep that in mind, and I’ll update as the project progresses. Yes it was CL; my guess it was a guy who had a line on someone who does basement clean outs or works at a scrapyard or something. Def. NOT a bike guy.
Old 01-13-20, 10:32 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts

You found it on CL?
I have had good luck with paint cleaner (rubbing compound) followed up with a nice car wax for bringing faded paint back to life of course I don't mind a bit of patina. Nice score for $30!
Likes For ryansu:
Old 01-13-20, 11:57 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Cavaletto accordo signet sport commuter and the others.. probably good $40 to $60 errand beaters. I see these things too, some of those low and mid tier models have paint that looks every bit as great as the higher things. Am I the only one who finds it hilarious how we sneer down at these models.. I do it too though.
Old 01-13-20, 12:04 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
Def. NOT a bike guy.
Made evident by the fact that he was selling a pooched out Magna (or is that redundant?) and an IM in the same sale.

If you wanna go clipless, and stay period-specific, there's always the option of a pair of old Looks. Bonus - a lot of them BITD were red and white. Seems like people pay ask for real money for those 600EX pedals made for slotted cleats, 'Course, that cap might be half the price of the pedals.....
Old 01-14-20, 06:27 PM
PugRider

Made evident by the fact that he was selling a pooched out Magna (or is that redundant?) and an IM in the same sale.

If you wanna go clipless, and stay period-specific, there's always the option of a pair of old Looks. Bonus - a lot of them BITD were red and white. Seems like people pay ask for real money for those 600EX pedals made for slotted cleats, 'Course, that cap might be half the price of the pedals.....
Yeah I'm intrigued by them, I think I'm going to see if I can get the bearings sorted, and if that pans out, I may just keep my eyes open for parts etc. I'm an SPD mountain bike-style clipless rider, I started with them and it has just been easier sticking with them throughout my fleet. I have a beautiful red pair of Ritchey SPDs on my carbon Fuji, I might keep a look out for those. It's fun thinking of all the possible paths I can take with this bike.
Old 01-14-20, 07:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
+1 on the '86, good catch on TriBiker19's part. The specs match my '86, right down to the Aero Gran Compe brake levers. I think it was mentioned somewhere way up-thread that the Shimano 600 aero levers weren't quite ready for the '86 model year rollout.

Also, I think it's a 54cm. Mine's a 56, and it has a finger-width or so more head tube. RobbieTunes has one or two (or ten or...) 54s, so he might have a better sense visually.

Tough call on the finish. Yeah, it's one of the rougher ones seen here. OTOH, those graphics may not be much fun to match.

And yes, without poring over the >8000 posts in this thread, I'd be willing to bet a nickel you win the award for the best effing deal on one of these yet.
It's a 56cm. 54cm has the pump peg approximately centered on the back of the head tube.

Still a good deal. Toss in a $100 powder coat and don't look back.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-14-20, 07:41 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
It's a 56cm. 54cm has the pump peg approximately centered on the back of the head tube.
And that's the point where I went for a field trip to the basement...

Did these come with Centurion-branded pumps?
Old 01-14-20, 08:52 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

What is this? (Besides a mess.)

Yeah, yeah, I haven't figured out how to post image from links in the posts...
Old 01-15-20, 12:39 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 91 Posts
What is this? (Besides a mess.)

Yeah, yeah, I haven't figured out how to post image from links in the posts...
Besides a mess, its a Early LeMans 1975ish.

Centurion LeMans (RS)

Last edited by fleslider; 01-15-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-16-20, 05:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Did these come with Centurion-branded pumps?
No, just flats. Other accessories are up to you.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-20-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 05:35 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

OK, now I am officially beside myself...but not speechless:

Carrie
Mark
Pat
Doc

(I won't name names.)

Rascals all. Privileged, I am, to even know you.

So, as the story goes, it was a dark and stormy night, and she was wet to the skin in her flimsy linen..... oh, wait, that's a different genre.

Anyhow, I made this deal, see, and it was a somewhat simple trade, my bike for hers, see, and today, this big box gets to my door.
Much too big for a simple Ironman bike. So I open it, and read the letter, and now I have a smashing 1988 Ironman Expert, in my size!
I also have a 1987 Miami Vice frame/fork/headset, which, shall we say, "needs a little work." Suffice it to say, as well, that is one stuck seat post.

I am not deserving of this generosity.
YOU ARE ALL ON DOUBLE-SECRET PROBATION.

I'm thrilled beyond measure. I'll try to build it right and earn your respect.
As for the Miami Vice... if the seat post comes out, we'll make it right, too.
Old 01-16-20, 05:43 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

FINALLY, I can post my bikes.

Smokey (‘89 Blue Smoke) and Bandit (‘89 Hard Rock). Smokey lives in the trainer...Bandit doesn’t currently suffer the indignities of going nowhere for miles.
Old 01-16-20, 05:50 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

And my garage a couple weeks ago...

I have kleptomaniac seatpost issues. Unless they’re attached...
Old 01-16-20, 05:56 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
So, as the story goes, it was a dark and stormy night, and she was wet to the skin in her flimsy linen..... oh, wait, that's a different genre.
Yeah don't quit your day job....

Much too big for a simple Ironman bike. So I open it, and read the letter, and now I have a smashing 1988 Ironman Expert, in my size!
I also have a 1987 Miami Vice frame/fork/headset, which, shall we say, "needs a little work." Suffice it to say, as well, that is one stuck seat post.
And we can expect to see the mandatory pics when?.....

And D'OH, thanks for the reminder, I MUST take another stab or two at the Laprade stuck in that Tempo frame in the basement.
Old 01-16-20, 06:28 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Oddly enough, it was a dark and stormy night in a liquor store parking lot. Luckily, the guy with three bikes on the back of his car was easy enough to find.
Old 01-16-20, 08:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
What's up BF/C&V/IM Nation! I see we have some new acquisitions and members. It always makes my day to read or be a part of the pay it forward, pay it back and goodwill stories. It doesn't matter if you are on the giving or the receiving end. It just makes you feel good. Keep it up, people.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-16-20, 08:49 PM
Cierrecart1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
Thanks Tony,
Interesting the dropouts are different, and mine definitely does not have a SN there in that location.

my BB shell has 60 x 63.8 cast into it probably angles of the lugs?

Mine has the same BB stamp. I knew for sure isn’t a 57, lol.
Old 01-17-20, 07:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

On the carbon frames, the only way to tell is to measure, and be aware the seat tube measurement can be a bit off, due to the design of the lugs. The main thing to measure on these is the reach. BB-saddle height is easy enough to achieve, but the seat post setback and saddle mounting point can vary a lot. Stem length, bar reach, and saddle setback seem to be my focus these days. Getting legs to pedals is simple. Getting hands down to drops/hoods requires more thought.
Old 01-17-20, 09:40 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
January 17 is,”Take your IM to work day.”

Old 01-18-20, 04:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

OK, the '88 Ironman Expert

Frame is fine as all get out. 2 Options (OEM is not part of my schtick).

A: Sub-17 lb. Ironman. Which starts with the frame, can't change that. Kestrel EMS fork, Innicycle headset/steerer. Carbon crankset/Ceramic BB, DA7900 DT shifters, Modolo aero composite brake levers, Zipp 343 wheels, Tufo tubulars, Ciamillo calipers, Specialized FACT seatpost holding acarbon saddle, Chinese carbon stem and bars. DA9000 RD/FD. Would really be close if it didn't make it, cassette might be the tipping point.

B: Normal. Black Ultegra 6700, black FSA wheelset. Same carbon cockpit and perch, probably stick with OEM steel fork.
Probably 19 lbs.

Suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.