Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on cycling at night for fun?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What are your thoughts on cycling at night for fun?

Old 01-16-20, 04:55 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I love it in the heat of the summer, and hate it in winter when there’s no other alternative after leaving the office at 6pm.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 01-16-20, 05:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Everything has been covered. The only thing I would emphasize is Bring Two Headlights. You might have forgotten to charge, or the plug might not have been all the way in, or any number of things could go wrong, and you don't want to be without a headlight.

I usually bring two tail lights as well, but I rarely notice if a tail light goes out. Much as I hate complexity, I almost with for some kind of indicator on the bars to tell me about the tail light.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-16-20, 05:25 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I agree about 2 lights but different reasons. What I love about USB lights. Plug them in before dinner, before each ride and no worries about dying lights. I once tried it trying to figure out how many rides I could get in and a light died. So, much better charging before every ride much like inflating tires to proper psi before every ride.

The thing I like about 2 headlights, one is pointed down a bit toward the curb/road for close up view and the other a bit more level for distance. Pretty good coverage that way.
Old 01-16-20, 08:42 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Lots of good advice and input here. Thanks everyone. The more I read about the benefits of riding at night the more I think I need to start looking for deals on lights this winter so I'm prepared for the summer. I am already starting to think of potential routes.
Old 01-16-20, 10:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have fewer problems with traffic at night. As other folks noted, we seem to pop into their attention more readily with lights.

I wear helmet mounted lights too, usually set to blinky mode. They're bright enough to be seen, but not to see with.

I worry more about critters so I usually ride with two headlights to create a wider beam, and run both on medium so they'll last longer. I'm considering a single unit with wider beam and cutoff, like the Outbound Lighting or something similar.

There's usually less traffic anyway where I ride, and it's often more relaxing. I'm a night owl anyway so it suits me. If I'm up early for a group ride it's because I never went to bed.

But I don't care for fast group rides at night. Too dangerous. Many of the faster riders I know aren't particularly predictable. I'll occasionally join casual nighttime group rides with friends. But no hammerfests, nothing over a 15 mph average. If I'm riding fast at night, I'm riding solo.
Old 01-16-20, 10:40 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I agree about 2 lights but different reasons. What I love about USB lights. Plug them in before dinner, before each ride and no worries about dying lights. I once tried it trying to figure out how many rides I could get in and a light died. So, much better charging before every ride much like inflating tires to proper psi before every ride.

The thing I like about 2 headlights, one is pointed down a bit toward the curb/road for close up view and the other a bit more level for distance. Pretty good coverage that way.
Doesn't this method of charging prematurely wear the lifespan of Li-ion batteries?
Old 01-16-20, 11:15 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Doesn't this method of charging prematurely wear the lifespan of Li-ion batteries?

I don't know but I have had my lights for 7 years. I ride with 2 rear blinkies and 2 headlights.

Haven't had a problem with them at all. I have heard things like that but I do it anyway. Worse comes to worse, I buy a new light.

I do the same with my Garmin Edge 500. Not a single problem and been using it since 2012.
Old 01-17-20, 07:25 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
No, Li-ion batteries can be topped off all the time with no life impact. Taking a Li-ion to a full discharge is not ideal for best life. Older NiCD rechargeable batteries (and much less so Ni-Mh) that had a memory effect and repeated short cycling was not advised.. The main life killer of quality Li-ion batteries is crappy charging circuits (voltage too high and/or do not stop charging when they should) and also heat.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

Last edited by u235; 01-17-20 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For u235:
Old 01-17-20, 12:16 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Use two lights at the same time on the front and rear. You don't want the tail light to fail without noticing it.

The same applies to the front light. You don't want it to fail suddenly, especially at high speed.

I think it's a good idea to mount one on the handlebars, to always have forward vision, and another on the helmet, so you can look around you if needed.

I use a wide beam light on the handlebars and a more focused beam on the helmet, as the latest allows me to see clearly when I look around.

Also, try to use the lights in low power mode when you can to save battery (when you're going at a slow speed on climbs, etc).

If you need really long endurance or want to forget about batteries, you can also use a dyno hub.
Old 01-17-20, 12:49 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Do any of you purposely, not for commuting purposes, head out for road rides at night just to mix it up?
Not sure I would ever use the phrase "mix it up" to describe what I do, but yeah, I love night riding. All of mine is on the road; I have yet to find a practical headlamp that illuminates the dark woods enough for me to be comfortable riding off-road at night. And re: cars, the trick is to A) be well-lit; B) avoid the super-heavily trafficked roads; and C) pray.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 01-17-20, 02:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Speaking of lights, a head lamp (on your helmet) is a good idea too. It provides some redundancy, carries easily, and follows your gaze.
Old 01-17-20, 04:39 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
What about you folks on the forums here? Do any of you purposely, not for commuting purposes, head out for road rides at night just to mix it up?
Sometimes I ride at night when I skip my morning ride. I also did a couple of unsupported 200 mile rides which ended after sunset and will do more when I get back in shape.

I can see the fun of riding in a new environment as a way of keeping things interesting and fresh. If so, where are you riding? On MUPs? Are you avoiding roads completely?
Mostly roads.

Or am I crazy to be considering taking my bike out at night, and I should stick to daytime riding?
It's great. Use a bright enough front light you can avoid road obstacles, a tail light or two, reflective vest, and leg bands. Bring spare front and rear lights for your bike and perhaps a (human) headlamp for after dark repairs. Keep the second rear lamp turned on because you can't see when the other one fails.

I also built my main wheels using retroreflective powder coated rims, although Velocity has since discontinued that option. You could use reflective tape strips.

I like dynamo lights which never run out of batteries. The uniform light from fork crown mounted German StVZO lights also does a good job highlighting road imperfections.

I don't like helmet mounted lamps - they make my neck tired.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-c.../Drew-Eckhardt

6:03am - 12:56am 209 mile ride with sunrise at 6:37am and sunset at 6:05pm:
https://www.strava.com/activities/528397406

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-20-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 06:40 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I pray before every single ride.
Day or night. 365/366.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 01-19-20, 02:48 AM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Quite sure I am going to get in big trouble for posting this, but--Amen, brother.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-19-20, 09:08 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
If anything, a well-illuminated bicycle at night is more eye-catching to a car than a bicycle by day. It's much easier to provide contrast and stand out.
only 4 of our club do year-round weeknight riding, I've always felt like it's safer as far as being seen by motorists who tend to give us a wider berth than in daylight but less safe for road objects and "critters" that tend to come out at night. Two recent examples from the +55 forum have me more aware of the dangers we all face. https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...rip-buddy.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...8-my-turn.html

I've been lucky, my one experience with a vehicle was having a pick-up truck mirror break off on my hip, causing bruising but no serious injury. That experience led to me never riding open country roads alone and finding a secluded double dead end 5 mile loop where I do my solo rides. There is an occasional car, but much much safer than in real open road traffic.

I pray before every single ride.
Amen, brother.
I don't always remember, but a good practice to start
Old 01-19-20, 01:01 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
No, Li-ion batteries can be topped off all the time with no life impact. Taking a Li-ion to a full discharge is not ideal for best life. Older NiCD rechargeable batteries (and much less so Ni-Mh) that had a memory effect and repeated short cycling was not advised.. The main life killer of quality Li-ion batteries is crappy charging circuits (voltage too high and/or do not stop charging when they should) and also heat.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Now I don't feel bad about prematurely charging my devices.
Old 01-19-20, 02:30 PM
bpcyclist

I would also just add that, if you think you are going to be out there at night for 75 or 100 miles or whatever, take multiple headlights. Especially if you are riding out of town, in the country, those nighttime country roads just suck up the lux like it isn't even there. I was out for close to 80 miles last night and it was raining most of the time. Middle of nowhere. I took all four of my headlights (1000 lumens to 1800 lumens). I wound up using all of them to get home. It was that dark and wet. Don't want to get stuck out there forty miles from town with a light that is rated at 1000 lumens, but is only running at maybe 300 after a few hours in those kinds of conditions. You have to be able to see extremely well if you are going to ride country roads at night safely. You never know when a massive pothole is going to pop up out of nowhere. Could send you over the bars, easy.

So, I say, if you want to ride longer distances at night and you are not a dyanmo person (and I am not), just buy a few more lights. They're cheap now. The very good Ceco F1000 is $39.95 on amazon right now. Cygolite Metro Pro 1100, $64 on amazon right now. Or, just go for the gold and get an Outbound Road Edition--best 215 bucks I've spent this year. Just outstanding light. Worth every last penny.
Old 01-19-20, 06:05 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
The sun energizes me, so riding in the daylight is my preference. But commuting with a mixed day/night schedule has me riding about half and half (2,250 daytime miles and 2,250 nighttime miles per year). 75% of bike accidents happen during the day, so night riding is actually safer. Because I am familiar with the highways and bi-ways during the days. speed results are similar for day and night. I use a 3,000 Lumens headlight and 320 Lumens taillight, the majority of my ride, I have the headlight on low because the streets are well lit and I do not want to blind drivers. In Seal Beach, there is a Navy Weapons Station, and about 2 miles along Pacific Coast Highway are dark going through, and the highway has a cement divider. That's when I burn the full 3,000 Lumens. I prefer riding in the daylight, but ride about half the time at night per commute schedule. The night rides on familiar roads are faster/enjoyable, and good lights are helpful. I've discovered a 1,000 Lumens headlight to be about the same as a 3,000 Lumens; the 3,000 Lumens are brighter, of course, but visible distance is similar, and 1,000 Lumens is bright enough.
Old 01-19-20, 09:16 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
You want fun? Go to Six Flags. Cycling is an athletic discipline.
Old 01-20-20, 09:49 AM
Rudebob

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I live in the desert SW where most bigger ride events are fall through spring. With the shorter days and working full time, weeknight rides are almost mandatory. While the rides are usually shorter than on weekends, speeds are usually faster to maximize the training benefit (often intervals, hill repeats, or occasional crits). With this in mind, we seek very specific routes, often loop routes ranging from 2 - 10 miles in newer communities that tend to build on the outskirts of town. This means less traffic and smoother pavement. Also, most of these new communities have more cycle friendly roads as part of their master design. Loops are nice because it provides the opportunity to pre-ride the route and identify new hazards/debris that may be present. It also allows for quick stops to add/reduce layers as the temperature changes.

For me personally I like night riding in that you have fewer visual distractions allowing you to focus on your training, this includes the fact that you don't see the hills beyond what is in view of your light. What I don't like about it is that it takes a while for me come down off the adrenaline after a ride which means I get less sleep than I would desire on those evenings.

'bob
Old 01-20-20, 12:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Many years ago, a friend left me a message, asking if I wanted to go night riding with him that evening - with lights, of course. I ignored the message, preferring the safety of my living room and a cold beer. My friend went anyway, and got hit by a car.

'Course, my friend is now the most interesting bike racer in America, and I'm nobody...so perhaps I should've gone with him.
Old 01-20-20, 12:50 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I ride at night because I have to for transportation, I need to save gasoline whenever I can. I have several lights on my bike, including valve stem cap lights. Walmart has frame lights I may get.
Old 01-20-20, 12:58 PM
mjd420nova

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have access to a trail that is 7 miles long, no cars and don't need a light on most nights on a large part due to neighbors yards and distant streetlights. Many riders I see at night have theo "nite sun" headlight that destroys my night vision. I've tried many lights and find I would rather ride without one unless absolutely needed. I don't like riding down a tunnel, unable to see anything to either side.
Old 01-20-20, 01:53 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Night rides

I ride at night only when I have to and as lit up and brightly visable to cars as possible. Hard to see dangerous road surfaces at night (once felt unsafe sleeping at a roadside stop, packed up left, within 50 yards of stop my lights didn't pickup hole in grey asphalt, I crashed, all kinds of blood, and nasty scar as a reminder not to ride at night).
Likes For yukiinu:
Old 01-20-20, 02:35 PM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by yukiinu
I ride at night only when I have to and as lit up and brightly visable to cars as possible. Hard to see dangerous road surfaces at night (once felt unsafe sleeping at a roadside stop, packed up left, within 50 yards of stop my lights didn't pickup hole in grey asphalt, I crashed, all kinds of blood, and nasty scar as a reminder not to ride at night).
Might I suggest upping yout headlight game a bit? There are plenty of terrific lights that are not terribly expensive that will illuminate even a country roadway in heavy cloud cover at midnight like it's an LAX runway. Buy yourself two more lights. They are cheap right now.

When I go out for an 80 or 100 miler all at night, I take four headlights--1000-1800 lumens. I usually end up using them all at some point to get me back to the city. My total cash outlay for these four lights $435, which is substantially less than a 15-minute incrememnt in an emergency room. I can see. It's no problem. But you gotta have the lights.

My current headlight setup: Cygolite Metro Pro 1100, helmet; Ceco F1000, left bar; Outbound Road Edition, just left of center; Cygolite Trion 1300, right bar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.