Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Patch tube, Yes/No?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Patch tube, Yes/No?

Old 07-03-19, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
As I recall we lit the patch on fire briefly on the theory that it helped the seal.
Hellz yeah, although we lit the glue, not the patch. Legitimate reason for playing with matches.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-03-19, 07:37 AM
Jasper Storm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Always leave the cellophane on patch repairs at the time of installation. It won't hurt/abrade anything inside your tire. You can mess up your patch job trying to remove it, however.
You can remove it the next time you pull your tube/tire.
Likes For Jasper Storm:
Old 07-03-19, 07:45 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hellz yeah, although we lit the glue, not the patch. Legitimate reason for playing with matches.
I thought it was just me.
Old 07-03-19, 07:54 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
For me, yes. Some of my tubes have 4 or 5 patches and they still work perfectly.

I live and ride in the land of thorns, so I flat all too regularly. I collect the tubes and patch them in a batch when I have about 10.
After patching, I fill them up with air, and if they are still holding air in the morning, they get stashed for later use -- the ones that fail (maybe 5-10%) get binned. I've never had a good patch fail -- and it's pretty easy to tell if you got a good bond.

Plus it's pretty satisfying work.
Yep. If for whatever reason the patch won't plug the hole I don't bother further - one good faith effort is what it gets. I usually ditch after 3-5 patches as well, not so much for weight but the feeling that at some point the patch may fail. Or that the tube is just that old.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Do you guys leave the cellophane on the outside of the patch or remove it before installation?
After installation, and usually well after the glue had cured. I.e., after leaving it inflated overnight and when I check in the morning. Too often peeling the celophane tends to pull up the edges of the patch.
Old 07-03-19, 08:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Do you guys leave the cellophane on the outside of the patch or remove it before installation?
The cellophane is there to help you apply the patch without touching the contact surface of the patch itself.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-03-19, 08:28 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I remove it. If you look closely, the cellophane is cut or sliced in the center, so if you flex the tube there you can get a fingernail under the cellophane and remove it from center to edge with little to no risk of pulling off the patch.

I too buy boxs of 100 Rema patches as that's the only way I've found to get the smaller 16 mm patches that work well on the typical tubes for road bikes. The 15 mm jobs are too big.
Old 07-03-19, 09:43 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
We always patched them as kids. As I recall we lit the patch on fire briefly on the theory that it helped the seal. I have no idea if it helped.
My dad did the patch flambé as well! My recollection is he lit the fluid on the tube rather than the patch. I too have since wondered if it made any difference, but as a kid I didn't care, just wanted my bike back.
Old 07-03-19, 11:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I stopped using tubes ... and getting flats.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-03-19, 12:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
No thanks...

Was on a group ride and a guy put a 1" gash in his tire. Sealant flew everywhere and was a mess. I offered my spare tube and tire boot so he could ride home, but it was such a mess that he decided to call his wife.

If it was a tube, he would of rode the last 20 miles home.

BTW, I just purchased REMA TT 02 kit to give them a try.

Old 07-03-19, 12:25 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
We always patched them as kids. As I recall we lit the patch on fire briefly on the theory that it helped the seal. I have no idea if it helped.

Now I'm too lazy and I just replace the tube.

BIDT, my dad had patches you'd clamp down with the tool above, then light the orange part of the back of the patch with a match. It would flame away like a road flare for a minute or so, and produced some really toxic-smelling smoke. After it cooled off, you peeled the metal part off, leaving a really durable patch.

I used to patch all my tubes like that, didn't know there was any other way. I can't remember one of those patches ever failing, they were pretty much permanently bonded to the tube.
Old 07-03-19, 12:33 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Buying the Rema patches in bulk is a good idea. An even better idea is to buy a large container of rubber cement. The Rema cement in those tiny tubes doesn't seem to last long, and I usually end up with more patches than cement from the little kit. Also, I use Slime brand cement, it's much cheaper than the Rema stuff, and works just as well. The applicator brush is much easier than squeezing the tube and rubbing it in with the tube itself...

Regarding the cellophane, I used to try and peel it up, but the edges of the patch are so fragile, I end up sometimes messing up the edge. So now I just leave it, it's no bother to me or the tube/tire, so I just leave it alone. As someone else stated, some of them have a slit in the middle, but sometimes I find that the cellophane just ends up tearing anyway. I just don't bother with it anymore.
Old 07-03-19, 04:08 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
I was typing and not reading what I was saying. I meant to say "after installation"
Old 07-03-19, 04:17 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
I remove it. If you look closely, the cellophane is cut or sliced in the center, so if you flex the tube there you can get a fingernail under the cellophane and remove it from center to edge with little to no risk of pulling off the patch.

I too buy boxs of 100 Rema patches as that's the only way I've found to get the smaller 16 mm patches that work well on the typical tubes for road bikes. The 15 mm jobs are too big.
I just cut the big patches in half. The flat edge lays nicely against the mold line of the tube.
Old 07-03-19, 04:20 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by Lemond1985

BIDT, my dad had patches you'd clamp down with the tool above, then light the orange part of the back of the patch with a match. It would flame away like a road flare for a minute or so, and produced some really toxic-smelling smoke. After it cooled off, you peeled the metal part off, leaving a really durable patch.

I used to patch all my tubes like that, didn't know there was any other way. I can't remember one of those patches ever failing, they were pretty much permanently bonded to the tube.
As kids, we used these to patch tractor tire tubes.

The heat really vulcanized them well.

Wouldn't it be fun if someone made tiny bicycle patches you could light up to vulcanize?
Old 07-03-19, 04:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Patch them. How else are you going to earn $10 (the price of a new tube) for two minutes' time?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-03-19, 04:45 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
When my kids were younger I'd throw patch parties in the garage. But I don't have good luck with patches. Maybe about 50%.
So I just go with new tubes.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-03-19, 05:54 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How very smug! Congrats.
Old 07-03-19, 09:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Your ability to patch a tube is unknown.. I can do it ,( & have for decades,) can you?

Like a good paint job, the surface prep is the most important part , of a good job ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-04-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 11:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
You people still use tubes?
Old 07-04-19, 01:56 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I always put in a new tube, after finding/fixing the cause first, of course.

If I've got a long way to go, I'll patch the hole on the spot, and stow it. My rationale for patching immediately but not using immediately is that n+1 flats are always possible, and patches adhere better over time. A simple way to observe the latter is to apply a patch then immediately rip it off. Now apply a patch, wait a day, then try to rip it off. Much harder.

A key to patches staying on, even if you have to use them before fully cured, is to use tubes on the bigger size for you tires. Smaller tubes have to stretch to fill the void, and patches are more likely to separate from the stretching tube.
Old 07-04-19, 02:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, I patch tubes. Usually Lezyne or similar glueless patches on the road bikes (the Lezyne kits are so small they'll fit any saddle bag, or even in a jersey pocket or sock), regular glued patches on the hybrids. I'll usually patch 3 or so times on the road bike tubes before replacing 'em. I think my record for the hybrid was 6 patches.

The glueless Lezyne and similar patches are so thin they don't interfere with the snug fit on my road bike wheels. And they work fine long term. I've had only one fail, which was operator error -- at night I didn't notice I'd left a bit of a seam or bubble in the patch and it developed a slow leak a week or so later. But I've done the same thing with glued patches.

When I've retired tubes I repurpose them, either as big rubber bands, or bar wrap for extra padding. Really tames vibration under cosmetic bar wrap.
Old 07-04-19, 07:19 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
No thanks...

Was on a group ride and a guy put a 1" gash in his tire. Sealant flew everywhere and was a mess. I offered my spare tube and tire boot so he could ride home, but it was such a mess that he decided to call his wife.

If it was a tube, he would of rode the last 20 miles home.

Booting a 1" gash, and riding home. Nope
Old 07-04-19, 07:21 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Reading this thread I realize I need to be more of a conservationist and repair punctured tubes.

From a safety standpoint, I never felt secure knowing I am riding on a patched tube. I only kept a patch kit for the rare occurrence I used my two spare tubes on any one ride. I have only double flatted once in the past five years.
Old 07-04-19, 07:25 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Reading this thread I realize I need to be more of a conservationist and repair punctured tubes.

From a safety standpoint, I never felt secure knowing I am riding on a patched tube. I only kept a patch kit for the rare occurrence I used my two spare tubes on any one ride. I have only double flatted once in the past five years.
Now you're screwed.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 07-04-19, 08:43 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by noodle soup
You people still use tubes?
They're sewn in.
Likes For f4rrest:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.