Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Old 01-10-20, 03:01 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
situations differ, but on the section of road in the OP’s 1st post, taking a full lane is unnecessary. If you ever went for a ride on that section of Dove Valley Rd, you’d probably see that. I don’t hug the curb in that area, but ride about 3’ to the left of the white line.
I think we may be splitting hairs on 1/2 or 1/3. what's the difference, maybe a foot. I wish the roads I ride looked as nice as the one in the OP. Roads here are wore down where the car tires ride so riding in the 1/3 puts you right in the roughest part.
Old 01-10-20, 03:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
The difference between 1/2 and 1/3 is 1/6.

Just saying.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-20, 03:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

Just saying.
Serious cycling is a game of relatively large denominators, Fredheimer.
Old 01-10-20, 03:21 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
I think we may be splitting hairs on 1/2 or 1/3. what's the difference, maybe a foot. I wish the roads I ride looked as nice as the one in the OP. Roads here are wore down where the car tires ride so riding in the 1/3 puts you right in the roughest part.
We are pretty lucky in this area. The roads are wide, with smooth pavement in most areas, wide bike lanes, and good visibility.
Old 01-10-20, 03:45 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts

Just saying.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Serious cycling is a game of relatively large denominators, Fredheimer.

p.s. I need to get a lesson in nested quotes from you-know-who
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-20, 04:21 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

Just saying.
Cycling is 90% mental.
The other half is physical.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 01-10-20, 04:25 PM
MoAlpha
• —

p.s. I need to get a lesson in nested quotes from you-know-who
Not if you want to keep me as a reader. He is a colleague, you know.
Old 01-10-20, 05:29 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

Bike lanes are mostly to make bicyclists feel that they have the rights that they have without bike lanes. Especially in Phoenix where most of the roads do not have bike lanes and drivers are fairly polite if you are polite to them. You try to stay as far to the right as is safe FOR YOU. And if you're on a narrow road you try not to impede traffic as much as possible. I can't remember the laws in Arizona but most states allow cars and trucks to pass bicycles over the double yellow lines. It will make you nervous that about one percent of the drivers do not give you what you would consider to be sufficient space but just remember that a miss is as good as a mile.

Always maintain a steady course and when you can't stand the traffic anymore Phoenix has a lot of bike trails in the washes. The problems with bike trails is that pedestrians offer almost as much irritation as drivers so you trade one problem for another. You can ride on dirt roads with street tires by just remembering to keep your wheels under you and not cornering hard as you can but most people don't on the road.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel and if you stick at it you can retain your flexibility and strength well into your 80's before your balance starts giving you problems. Though some people do not ever get that problem. A speed record was recently set by a 105 year old man.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 01-10-20, 05:38 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Bike lanes are mostly to make bicyclists feel that they have the rights that they have without bike lanes. Especially in Phoenix where most of the roads do not have bike lanes and drivers are fairly polite if you are polite to them. You try to stay as far to the right as is safe FOR YOU. And if you're on a narrow road you try not to impede traffic as much as possible. I can't remember the laws in Arizona but most states allow cars and trucks to pass bicycles over the double yellow lines. It will make you nervous that about one percent of the drivers do not give you what you would consider to be sufficient space but just remember that a miss is as good as a mile.

Always maintain a steady course and when you can't stand the traffic anymore Phoenix has a lot of bike trails in the washes. The problems with bike trails is that pedestrians offer almost as much irritation as drivers so you trade one problem for another. You can ride on dirt roads with street tires by just remembering to keep your wheels under you and not cornering hard as you can but most people don't on the road.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel and if you stick at it you can retain your flexibility and strength well into your 80's before your balance starts giving you problems. Though some people do not ever get that problem. A speed record was recently set by a 105 year old man.
where in the Phoenix area are you referring to when you say there aren’t bike lanes?
Old 01-10-20, 08:06 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Sorry, I did not read all the other responses. Probably the first 15 or so. So, if this was covered, I apologise.
I strongly recommend you take some time reviewing good biking techniques and the AZ regulations. You can find the bicycling regulations by googling them.

As for getting some tips about bike position and proper techniques, the League of American Bicyclists offers about 15 1 minute videos that I think would be worth your while. It would be good to watch them with an experienced road rider but if that person is not available, just watch by yourself. Here is the link to their offering. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart

BTW, in the posts I read, I think you received some good advice about not hugging the curb and not riding too far in the center of the lane. Knowing there is little traffic is good too. I would not rush through a half mile distance. I would be deliberate and confident so motorists feel comfortable passing you. I would also approach my city council and request they put a sign in each direction (likely $35 per sign, before installation which can be done by city staff) that says 'watch for bikes'. Ths is especially needed when a bike lane stops and a very narrow road begins.
Likes For debade:
Old 01-10-20, 08:26 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
I'm with bbbean on this. If you hug the side around here cars just scrape by even if the opposite lane is completely empty. I always ride the middle and stay there if oncoming traffic is approaching. (preventing a close pass) if no oncoming traffic I will fade to the right to assist the pass. Also I am not riding busy roads only occasional traffic.
This is an important caveat. I start getting anxious when a car behind me doesn't pass, because I know there will soon be a line of cars, with people likely getting ticked off at me.

It's completely an auto culture. I might as well be a space alien.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 01-10-20, 08:40 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by debade
Sorry, I did not read all the other responses. Probably the first 15 or so. So, if this was covered, I apologise.
I strongly recommend you take some time reviewing good biking techniques and the AZ regulations. You can find the bicycling regulations by googling them.

As for getting some tips about bike position and proper techniques, the League of American Bicyclists offers about 15 1 minute videos that I think would be worth your while. It would be good to watch them with an experienced road rider but if that person is not available, just watch by yourself. Here is the link to their offering. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart

BTW, in the posts I read, I think you received some good advice about not hugging the curb and not riding too far in the center of the lane. Knowing there is little traffic is good too. I would not rush through a half mile distance. I would be deliberate and confident so motorists feel comfortable passing you. I would also approach my city council and request they put a sign in each direction (likely $35 per sign, before installation which can be done by city staff) that says 'watch for bikes'. Ths is especially needed when a bike lane stops and a very narrow road begins.
the section of road the OP asked about is a very popular cycling route, and there are signs nearby. It's not a high traffic area. The OP originally said it's a half mile, but it's more like 2/10ths of a mile.
Old 01-10-20, 08:59 PM
Metallifan33

Thanks! Great to know. I just started because I got sick and tired of hurting my knees and ankles on runs. I'm having so much fun, I should have done this 20 years ago! Oh well.
Old 01-10-20, 09:02 PM
Metallifan33

Especially in Phoenix where most of the roads do not have bike lanes and drivers are fairly polite if you are polite to them. .
Recently there seems to be a lot of bike lanes popping up which is good. Of course it depends on where you live (I just moved to my neighborhood a couple of years ago and am realizing how lucky I am). I also found the bike lane overlay in google maps and was surprised at how many bike lanes Phoenix has now...

Old 01-10-20, 09:17 PM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by debade

Thanks Debade! I'll check out the videos for sure.
Interesting point about the sign. I think I'll look into that.
Old 01-11-20, 08:45 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Recently there seems to be a lot of bike lanes popping up which is good. Of course it depends on where you live (I just moved to my neighborhood a couple of years ago and am realizing how lucky I am). I also found the bike lane overlay in google maps and was surprised at how many bike lanes Phoenix has now...

That map is outdated by about 2 years. Sun Cty and Sun City West is also a very safe place to ride(but flat/boring).
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-11-20, 08:48 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
He is a colleague, you know.
Oh?
Old 01-11-20, 01:04 PM
Metallifan33

That map is outdated by about 2 years. Sun Cty and Sun City West is also a very safe place to ride(but flat/boring).
Well that's good to hear!
Old 01-11-20, 01:44 PM
RiceAWay

where in the Phoenix area are you referring to when you say there aren’t bike lanes?
I was in Phoenix a couple of years ago riding with people native to the area and I saw very few bike lanes. In many more traveled routes there were wide shoulders but these are not bike lanes
Old 01-11-20, 01:50 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
This is an important caveat. I start getting anxious when a car behind me doesn't pass, because I know there will soon be a line of cars, with people likely getting ticked off at me.

It's completely an auto culture. I might as well be a space alien.
Also when you come to a four way stop and the other people do not take their proper right-of-way because I'm balancing on the bike instead of putting a foot down. I presently had a ding on my shin because I had to put a foot down when I stopped and then missed the pedal when I took off.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 01-11-20, 01:51 PM
RiceAWay

In Sun City you have to be very careful of Golf Carts being driven on the street by old people with poor vision.
Old 01-11-20, 03:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by BillyD
Oh?
Pathologist.
Old 01-11-20, 03:42 PM
noodle soup

I was in Phoenix a couple of years ago riding with people native to the area and I saw very few bike lanes. In many more traveled routes there were wide shoulders but these are not bike lanes
So, you don't live here, and you really don't know the situation.

Thanks for that.
Old 01-11-20, 04:09 PM
RiceAWay

So, you don't live here, and you really don't know the situation.

Thanks for that.
So you live there and you do know the situation? In two weeks I went on over two dozen rides and bike lanes were rare. Ae you a down town commuter?
Old 01-11-20, 04:55 PM
noodle soup

So you live there and you do know the situation? In two weeks I went on over two dozen rides and bike lanes were rare. Ae you a down town commuter?
bike lanes aren’t rare in the Phoenix area. Every bike shop in the Phoenix area has free maps that show the bike trails(and roads with bike lanes).

Sorry you couldn’t find them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.