Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Old 01-11-20, 04:59 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
In Sun City you have to be very careful of Golf Carts being driven on the street by old people with poor vision.
Thanks for showing your colors.
Old 01-11-20, 06:00 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
bike lanes aren’t rare in the Phoenix area. Every bike shop in the Phoenix area has free maps that show the bike trails(and roads with bike lanes).

Sorry you couldn’t find them.
When did you start talking about bike trails? Was that in the conversation?
Old 01-11-20, 06:40 PM
RiceAWay

bike lanes aren’t rare in the Phoenix area. Every bike shop in the Phoenix area has free maps that show the bike trails(and roads with bike lanes).

Sorry you couldn’t find them.
Most thoroughfares have bikes lanes in California. Possibly they've been adding bike lanes since the Federal Government offers subsidies for them. Because of those subsidies we're even putting protected bike lanes on all of the bridges in the San Francisco bay area. We even have bike lanes on high traffic commercial highways. Bikes are allowed on some buses, all Ferry's, Trains and Bay Area Rapid Transit. We have protected bike lanes as far across the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge as Treasure Island until they can figure out how to put them on the 85 year old San Francisco Span. I can ride from San Mateo to Half Moon Bay or from Fremont to Stanford University . During normal commute traffic I can ride the 25 mile distance from San Leandro to Stanford faster on a bike than driving and only about 4 miles is without a bike lane. I can even bypass the missing bike lanes on a bike path. There are bike lanes all the way from Lawrence Livermore Laboratories to my home in San Leandro. That is 30 miles and 5 cities. Or I can take a different route add two miles and make it 7 cities. In San Francisco they are closing down the entire Market St. to cars and trucks. The MAIN street in the financial district will be open to bikes and buses only.

So tell us about Phoenix and their wonderful arrangement of bike lanes. Or tell us how those bike trails through the washes are useable and perfectly safe in the rainy season. While the actual roads in Phoenix are 100 times better than most of California, the bike lanes are not.
Old 01-11-20, 07:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,278 Times in 2,940 Posts
Most thoroughfares have bikes lanes in California ...
My first reaction to this post was "what's the relevance?" Then it hit me -- Tom Kunich is back with a hew username. Correct?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-11-20, 08:57 PM
noodle soup

Most thoroughfares have bikes lanes in California.

So tell us about Phoenix and their wonderful arrangement of bike lanes. Or tell us how those bike trails through the washes are useable and perfectly safe in the rainy season. While the actual roads in Phoenix are 100 times better than most of California, the bike lanes are not.
Most thoroughfares in the Phoenix area have bike lanes, and those that don't are roads you would want to ride on in the first place(like Bell Road).

BTW, what is this rainy season you speak of?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-12-20, 09:34 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Use a flashing rear light.
Old 01-12-20, 11:14 AM
RiceAWay

Most thoroughfares in the Phoenix area have bike lanes, and those that don't are roads you would want to ride on in the first place(like Bell Road).

BTW, what is this rainy season you speak of?
So all of those 1/8th mile wide washes were dug out just for looks?
Old 01-12-20, 11:19 AM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
My first reaction to this post was "what's the relevance?" Then it hit me -- Tom Kunich is back with a hew username. Correct?
Since in several places I've referenced articles with my name on them exactly how difficult was that to detect? I have no idea of how this registration came to be since the concussion caused all sorts of problems with memories. For several years I couldn't even remember my name for long periods. Though I could recite my social security number and military serial number and all of the aircraft I flew on in the war. It must be really hard to have to hide your own real identity as you do. And since we're at it, exactly how difficult is it to tie a discussion about bike lanes into a question from a person about bike lanes in an area I'm somewhat familiar with? And the usual BS from Noodle Soup complaining about anything and everything without adding anything to the discussion? In California bike lanes ae common because we have a very active bicycle lobbying group. Because you can find bike lanes in downtown Phoenix if you look for them doesn't mean that they are common. Most of the bike trails run through these huge dry washes that drain off the water from hurricanes that come up through the Gulf of California but he doesn't know that there is a rainy season. The upshot of this is that the newbie is going to have to learn to ride on the streets like a normal vehicle and get used to it like everyone else. I did 2 weeks of riding there every day and I can't remember seeing a bike lane. According to my log that was 300 miles ALL in and around Phoenix.

Last edited by RiceAWay; 01-12-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-12-20, 11:46 AM
noodle soup

So all of those 1/8th mile wide washes were dug out just for looks?
if you ever used the canal trails, you would see that the trail is on the top of the wash, not at the bottom where water could run.
Old 01-12-20, 12:22 PM
tomato coupe

Since in several places I've referenced articles with my name on them exactly how difficult was that to detect? I have no idea of how this registration came to be ...
Actually, I knew it was you from your writing. A leopard can't change its spots.
Old 01-12-20, 07:43 PM
noodle soup

Since in several places I've referenced articles with my name on them exactly how difficult was that to detect? I have no idea of how this registration came to be since the concussion caused all sorts of problems with memories. For several years I couldn't even remember my name for long periods. Though I could recite my social security number and military serial number and all of the aircraft I flew on in the war. It must be really hard to have to hide your own real identity as you do. And since we're at it, exactly how difficult is it to tie a discussion about bike lanes into a question from a person about bike lanes in an area I'm somewhat familiar with? And the usual BS from Noodle Soup complaining about anything and everything without adding anything to the discussion?
Is that a question?

Originally Posted by RiceAWay;21280993[b
I did 2 weeks of riding there every day and I can't remember seeing a bike lane. According to my log that was 300 miles ALL in and around Phoenix..

I have lived here for over 8 years(lived car-free for all of those), and have ridden over 100k miles in Maricopa County. I probably know more about the bike lanes and trails(and weather) of the Phoenix area than you.

Not many bike lanes in Maricopa County(the greater Phoenix area)https://geo.azmag.gov/maps/bikemap/

Last edited by noodle soup; 01-12-20 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-12-20, 08:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I have lived here for over 8 years(lived car-free for all of those), and have ridden over 100k miles in Maricopa County. I probably know more about the bike lanes and trails(and weather) of the Phoenix area than you.
But he was there for two weeks. Two. Weeks.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-12-20, 08:31 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
But he was there for two weeks. Two. Weeks.
I know, right?
Old 01-13-20, 10:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

The road belongs to everyone... Not my favourite context, but if you have to do it, and you are comfortable, do it! Also, I would not ride on the opposite way.

Unless specified that it is strictly reserved to motorized vehicles (such as highways), you can ride whatever road you feel comfortable being on. Just stay as close to the shoulder as possible, and cars will just get around you even if it means that they'll have to step on the double yellow lines.
Old 01-13-20, 10:38 AM
noodle soup

@Metallifan33 See why I said that section of road was nothing to worry about?

BTW, What time were you out there? I got to DV and Paloma at around 10AM, and it was chilly, but not breezy.
Old 01-13-20, 02:23 PM
JeffreyD

Bikes: Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Noob Question About Bike Lanes

We each have to determine if riding with a narrow shoulder is worth the risk and what, if any are the alternatives? Narrow shoulder, light traffic and I'd probably ride it but make sure my flashing lights are on (rear and front of my bike and mounted on my helmet too for greater visibility). Also I often ride with a traffic safety vest which some studies have shown provide better visibility. If I'm in a group there is safety in numbers sometimes if all are riding safely and have similar bright clothing and safety attire (vests, flashing lights). Take a League of American Bicyclists Traffic Skills 101 class which can teach you better bicycling skills. 101 will teach you to 'take the lane' ... ride in the middle of the lane and take up the space of a vehicle because an over taking vehicle is more likely to give you a full four-feet when passing. Be aware that many drivers ... including bicycle drivers ... are not practicing good safety when driving and many will have cell phones, text messages, telephone calls, loud music, GPS, etc. to contend with and many think you on a two or three wheel bicycle should not be sharing the road and traffic lane with you. I've been in two serious crashes with fast moving vehicles ... hit from the front the first time in 1983 when riding with three youngsters including my son while I was doing everything right and the other driver sneezed (he said) pulling into and hitting all of us and again in 1988 while leading a group of 10 riders and in a marked bicycle lane at the time when the other driver reached for something that fell on the passenger side floor ... no other traffic on the road at the time too. So, do you feel lucky in bicycling in a 45 mph zone with a narrow shoulder? Probably safer to cross the road and ride against the traffic in the wider shoulder BUT not legal so there is risk here too.
Old 01-13-20, 02:31 PM
RiceAWay

if you ever used the canal trails, you would see that the trail is on the top of the wash, not at the bottom where water could run.
I don't know what you're talking about. The paved bike paths I rode on in Phoenix would ride along one side of the wash and then cross to the other side. When I asked how you used those paths in the rainy weather I was told, "you don't". They said that it wasn't even safe to ride on those paved paths if the wash looked dry because you could get tidal wave-like filling of the wash quite suddenly. Since these people had ridden there for 40 years or more I take them at their word though apparently you do not.
Old 01-13-20, 02:35 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by JeffreyD
We each have to determine if riding with a narrow shoulder is worth the risk and what, if any are the alternatives? Narrow shoulder, light traffic and I'd probably ride it but make sure my flashing lights are on (rear and front of my bike and mounted on my helmet too for greater visibility). Also I often ride with a traffic safety vest which some studies have shown provide better visibility. If I'm in a group there is safety in numbers sometimes if all are riding safely and have similar bright clothing and safety attire (vests, flashing lights). Take a League of American Bicyclists Traffic Skills 101 class which can teach you better bicycling skills. 101 will teach you to 'take the lane' ... ride in the middle of the lane and take up the space of a vehicle because an over taking vehicle is more likely to give you a full four-feet when passing. Be aware that many drivers ... including bicycle drivers ... are not practicing good safety when driving and many will have cell phones, text messages, telephone calls, loud music, GPS, etc. to contend with and many think you on a two or three wheel bicycle should not be sharing the road and traffic lane with you. I've been in two serious crashes with fast moving vehicles ... hit from the front the first time in 1983 when riding with three youngsters including my son while I was doing everything right and the other driver sneezed (he said) pulling into and hitting all of us and again in 1988 while leading a group of 10 riders and in a marked bicycle lane at the time when the other driver reached for something that fell on the passenger side floor ... no other traffic on the road at the time too. So, do you feel lucky in bicycling in a 45 mph zone with a narrow shoulder? Probably safer to cross the road and ride against the traffic in the wider shoulder BUT not legal so there is risk here too.
Jeffrey, I should bring you out to California and have you ride along with us for a couple of weeks. Going back to Phoenix you'd find the drivers polite and traffic so light that you'd not have a worry in the world. In two weeks out there of riding every single day I think I saw one driver that I thought passed too closely.
Old 01-13-20, 02:35 PM
noodle soup

I don't know what you're talking about. The paved bike paths I rode on in Phoenix would ride along one side of the wash and then cross to the other side. When I asked how you used those paths in the rainy weather I was told, "you don't". They said that it wasn't even safe to ride on those paved paths if the wash looked dry because you could get tidal wave-like filling of the wash quite suddenly. Since these people had ridden there for 40 years or more I take them at their word though apparently you do not.
Old 01-13-20, 05:29 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Use a flashing rear light.
To the OP, the above^^^^^^^^ Absolutely positively ride with a high quality bright flashing rear light.
Old 01-13-20, 06:40 PM
tomato coupe

I have lived here for over 8 years(lived car-free for all of those), and have ridden over 100k miles in Maricopa County.
Don't get discouraged. Another 100k miles and you'll start to get a feel for the place.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-13-20, 06:48 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Don't get discouraged. Another 100k miles and you'll start to get a feel for the place.
Hopefully RiceAWay will show me around.
Old 01-13-20, 07:28 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
To the OP, the above^^^^^^^^ Absolutely positively ride with a high quality bright flashing rear light.
I bought one but didn't put it on yet. I was wondering if it would annoy cyclists that come up behind you to pass...
I went on another ride today and thought it'd be nice to have one in front too... I do worry about people who come to a stop to turn right into the street I'm riding and not seeing me come. I always wait till we make eye contact before I ride in front of them (and sometimes it takes a few moments longer than I'd like).
Old 01-13-20, 09:42 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I bought one but didn't put it on yet. I was wondering if it would annoy cyclists that come up behind you to pass...
I went on another ride today and thought it'd be nice to have one in front too... I do worry about people who come to a stop to turn right into the street I'm riding and not seeing me come. I always wait till we make eye contact before I ride in front of them (and sometimes it takes a few moments longer than I'd like).
Yes, get a front light too. I have a front light set to a strobe mode. It stops cross-traffic from cutting you off, opposing traffic making a left turn in front of you, and people going in your direction up ahead of you from cutting you off as they move to the right for any reason. If you ride in traffic on a regular basis you will on your very first ride notice traffic reacting to or noticing you because of the front light.

ADDENDUM: Except when riding in a group ride don't worry about your rear light affecting riders coming up from behind. In group rides depending on factors, you can either turn the rear light off or turn it to non-flashing and lower light setting.

Last edited by BengalCat; 01-13-20 at 09:48 PM.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 01-14-20, 01:23 AM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Wide shoulder/no traffic/ against traffic

If it's 1/4 mile a wide shoulder and little traffic I would go against traffic and fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.