Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"The five" host brags about dooring bicyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 10:46 AM
evazan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw this last night on Fox and can't believe it hasn't been posted yet. I've been lurking for awhile but haven't felt a need to post till now.

A description can't do this justice. Just watch it. The point mentioned in the title happens around 4:30.

Edit: I've taken the link down because it no longer goes to the right page. I haven't had any luck finding the video online again. Another gem from it is Bob Beckel stating that cyclists dress up like *****exuals in their lycra.

If anyone can find it that would be great. It is from the 07/25/2013 episode of "The Five".

Edit2: Found it. https://video.foxnews.com/v/256613234...=1040983441001

Last edited by evazan; 07-26-13 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 11:04 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Wrong link... it only lasts 3 min and change and is about the woman freaking out in the Apple store.
Old 07-26-13, 11:17 AM
evazan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found the correct link.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/256613234...=1040983441001
Old 07-26-13, 11:28 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by evazan
And right after his statement, he not only admits guilt, but responsibility, by stating he gave the cyclist forty dollars after the incident.

Perhaps a bigger issue however is all the press over the story at hand, that a cyclist killed a pedestrian... so much brouhaha over this one event, (which indeed is a shameful event) while the hosts fully overlook the thousands of pedestrians killed by motorists each year. Seems to be an overwhelming case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 07-26-13, 11:45 AM
evazan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Perhaps a bigger issue however is all the press over the story at hand, that a cyclist killed a pedestrian... so much brouhaha over this one event, (which indeed is a shameful event) while the hosts fully overlook the thousands of pedestrians killed by motorists each year. Seems to be an overwhelming case of the pot calling the kettle black.
I noticed that too. The hosts were discussing whether or not they should be afraid of getting hit by cyclist. One of them even stated he would rather be hit with a car then a bike...

Looking for some statistics I found this website https://www.streetsblog.org/2013/04/2...ffic-in-march/. In march 2013 11 pedestrians and 1 cyclist were killed by cars. None of those drivers were charged for causing a death. It further goes on to say that historically less than half of vehicles involved in hitting a killing pedestrians are even so much as cited for any driving infraction. I do not condone the way reckless way the SF man was riding his bike but cyclists are without a doubt not the problem.
Old 07-26-13, 12:14 PM
genec
genec

This was pretty telling from that streetsblog site...

Of nine fatal crashes reported by Streetsblog and other outlets, no motorists were known to have been charged for causing a death. The truck driver who struck Lillian Cruz was cited for failure to exercise due care. Historically, nearly half of motorists who kill a New York City pedestrian or cyclist do not receive so much as a citation for careless driving.
This pretty much supports the general feeling in A&S regarding the "teflon nature" of motorists involved in traffic deaths.

The typical response from the occasional apologists here is that the situation can be resolved by civil suits... which tend to only occur when a family or loved one is not in too much shock to pursue such a suit.
Old 07-26-13, 12:25 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
I never ever watch Fox News, and this clip confirms why. If you watch Saturday Night Live, they satirize Fox News a fair amount. I don't know which is funnier, SNL or these commentators of Fox News.
Old 07-26-13, 01:17 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I noticed that too. The hosts were discussing whether or not they should be afraid of getting hit by cyclist. One of them even stated he would rather be hit with a car then a bike...

Looking for some statistics I found this website https://www.streetsblog.org/2013/04/2...ffic-in-march/. In march 2013 11 pedestrians and 1 cyclist were killed by cars. None of those drivers were charged for causing a death. It further goes on to say that historically less than half of vehicles involved in hitting a killing pedestrians are even so much as cited for any driving infraction. I do not condone the way reckless way the SF man was riding his bike but cyclists are without a doubt not the problem.
Judging by the end result without knowing anything else is a dangerous way to go.

I'd want to at least know where the pedestrians were. My initial assumptions regarding cause will be far different for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and one in the middle of the block on a high speed street.
Old 07-26-13, 01:33 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That clip was pretty vitriolic, even for Faux News; I don't watch that satanic channel, so the only person I recognized was the redhead (Kimberly Guilf***le, I call her). Whoever that old bulldog-face was, he needs to be neutered, his voice box removed, and they need to finish his lobotomy.

Yeah, pretty representative of the "almighty motorist" mentality, don't even recognize their own bias; BTW, as an aside, black folks will tell you that white folks don't even recognize their own biases, picked up from others without realizing it. (No, don't start......) Now, back OT.

However light that sentence was, however heavier redhead wanted it to be, the venom they have toward 2-wheel pedalers is simply unacceptable -- which is why it's on Fox News.
Old 07-26-13, 02:18 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course Fox News is against cycling. It would cut down on 'Murrican-made gas-guzzlers and stop giving the country reasons to blow up turrrists in I-raq.
Old 07-26-13, 02:30 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is the same story as the original link you posted. But as to the link you posted, the guy in the video wearing the eyeglasses should be arrested for admitting to a crime!!! Because a motorist cannot pass a cyclist with the specific intent to cause the cyclist to rear-end the motorist's vehicle!!!!

A jerk tried pulling that on me just a couple weeks ago!!!
Old 07-26-13, 03:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
That clip was pretty vitriolic, even for Faux News; I don't watch that satanic channel, so the only person I recognized was the redhead (Kimberly Guilf***le, I call her). Whoever that old bulldog-face was, he needs to be neutered, his voice box removed, and they need to finish his lobotomy. Yeah, pretty representative of the "almighty motorist" mentality, don't even recognize their own bias; BTW, as an aside, black folks will tell you that white folks don't even recognize their own biases, picked up from others without realizing it. (No, don't start......) Now, back OT.

However light that sentence was, however heavier redhead wanted it to be, the venom they have toward 2-wheel pedalers is simply unacceptable -- which is why it's on Fox News.
He is Bob Beckel, the liberal on the panel.
https://www.ask.com/wiki/Bob_Beckel?o=2800&qsrc=999
Personal struggles
Beckel is a recovering alcoholic [6] and has spoken openly about his past addictions to drugs and alcohol, admitting in July 2011 on The Five: "I'm a recovering addict and cocaine was my drug of choice."

In 2002, Beckel was the victim of an extortion attempt by a prostitute he had hired.[7]

In 2007 Beckel was involved in an altercation in a Bethesda, Maryland, grocery store parking lot with a man who took issue with his anti–George W. Bush bumper stickers.

In October 2011, Beckel nearly choked to death at a Fox News reception, but was saved by Fox News chief Roger Ailes and The Five co-host Eric Bolling.
The Five, is the dumbest of the Fox shows, and the video clearly shows that. But that is still better than most of the garbage on MSNBC.

Last edited by CB HI; 07-26-13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 04:00 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I saw this last night on Fox and can't believe it hasn't been posted yet. I've been lurking for awhile but haven't felt a need to post till now.

A description can't do this justice. Just watch it. The point mentioned in the title happens around 4:30.

Edit: I've taken the link down because it no longer goes to the right page. I haven't had any luck finding the video online again. Another gem from it is Bob Beckel stating that cyclists dress up like *****exuals in their lycra.

If anyone can find it that would be great. It is from the 07/25/2013 episode of "The Five".

Edit2: Found it. https://video.foxnews.com/v/256613234...=1040983441001
How to run a "news" program:

Step 1: Be outrageous.

Step 2: Take pride in the fact that all the negative reaction is "generating dialogue".
Old 07-26-13, 04:42 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Judging by the end result without knowing anything else is a dangerous way to go.

I'd want to at least know where the pedestrians were. My initial assumptions regarding cause will be far different for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and one in the middle of the block on a high speed street.
If a pedestrian is strolling across or down the middle of a bike path, he/she can feel pretty confident that no cyclist will run him/her over and even more confident that his/her life isn't in danger. If the same pedestrian dares to venture into the middle of a multi-use street in the middle of the block, is it his/her own fault when a motorist runs him/her down? Why is it considered so difficult for motorists to not hit things that are right in front of them?
Old 07-26-13, 05:31 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by look566 rider
I never ever watch Fox News, and this clip confirms why. If you watch Saturday Night Live, they satirize Fox News a fair amount. I don't know which is funnier, SNL or these commentators of Fox News.
Ditto this. I watched the whole clip - morons demonstrating their lack of class. I don't think we're missing much by ignoring Fox News.
Old 07-26-13, 06:25 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Ditto this. I watched the whole clip - morons demonstrating their lack of class. I don't think we're missing much by ignoring Fox News.
They're no different than any of the other "news" networks. Hell, at least they haven't had to have their legal department step in and characterize their "news" as "fake but accurate" in order to skate past Texas libel laws.

They all aim for specific audiences for business reasons - and probably laugh at us behind our backs.
Old 07-26-13, 06:34 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
They're no different than any of the other "news" networks. Hell, at least they haven't had to have their legal department step in and characterize their "news" as "fake but accurate" in order to skate past Texas libel laws.

They all aim for specific audiences for business reasons - and probably laugh at us behind our backs.
If you say so - to be honest I don't watch any news show but I ignore Fox more emphatically than the others. Confirmation bias, eg reacting to this clip, is gratifying if nothing else.
Old 07-26-13, 06:36 PM
GojiSube

Bikes: Trek 7.5FX; Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reminding me why I usually avoid Fox News like the plague. I hadn't heard of "The Five" before, seems like "The View" for grumpy old men.
Old 07-26-13, 06:39 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by wphamilton
If you say so - to be honest I don't watch any news show but I ignore Fox more emphatically than the others. Confirmation bias, eg reacting to this clip, is gratifying if nothing else.
This particular clip is the worst I have ever seen from the show. My wife watches it while I tend to tune it out. At least I now know why she had the facts of the cyclist case so wrong when she called me at work. Even the more careful host on the panel got most of it wrong.

Last edited by CB HI; 07-26-13 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 06:42 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by GojiSube
Thanks for reminding me why I usually avoid Fox News like the plague. I hadn't heard of "The Five" before, seems like "The View" for grumpy old men.
BIG difference:
On "The Five", they take turns talking;
on "The View", you have five women all talking at the same time.
Old 07-26-13, 10:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo

Yeah, FoxNews took the high road to avoiding libel by clarifying to the court that they are not, in fact, a news network but are an entertainment network and thus have no responsibility to do even minimal fact checking (not that any other "news" programming in the U.S. is any different in this regard).

I really don't miss my T.V. My somewhat distant cousin Philo, the inventor of the television, had it right when he refused to own one because of the crappy programming that was being aired.
Old 07-27-13, 05:58 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watched the clip - what a pack of scum that should be locked up in a mental institution somewhere.

That said, there were a few points they stated which although they hurt are true. I learned a long time ago working in a retail customer service position that you have to learn to "pick the diamonds out of the rocks people throw at you".

As to statistics posted about half the motorists who hit peds. and cyclists not getting charged with anything and getting off "scott free" what Keith99 said about not knowing the circumstances of the situation makes a lot of sense. If a cyclist runs a red light and gets T-boned by a motorist going through the green who couldn't stop in time it would not surprise me at all that the motorist got off "scott free" since it wasn't a collision that was cause by their negligence.

There are a lot of people in this section of the forum that have some kind of strange idea that cyclists can do no wrong and every time there is a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle vehicle it is never the result of negligence on the part of the operator of the bicycle vehicle and is always due to negligence on the part of the motor vehicle. That doesn't make sense logically, even if all cyclist were practically saints and never deliberately and knowingly violated the rules of the road for vehicles sooner or later one of them somewhere would make a non-deliberate mistake or over-sight leading to a collision where they were at fault.

Actually a 50% motorist at fault enough to be cited sounds like a pretty good ratio to me and gives me hope that not all cyclist deliberately and knowingly flaunt the rules of the road and basic sanity as most of them up in my area do. Had a close call a week ago commuting home from work after dark where I rounded a right corner on my bike and almost had a head on collision with a night-ninja salmon riding dead center of the oncoming traffic lane, barely was able to swerve in time when I rounded the corner and my headlights picked him up barely in time, If we would have hit we both would have probably have been injured, and all the thanks I got from him was a string of profanities (he didn't swerve and it was all me on avoiding the accident even though he was riding center of the oncoming lane with no lights and no reflectors on a dark colored BMX type bike wearing a dark colored shirt, thankfully he was wearing blue jeans and that is what showed up well being a light color in my headlight beam.)
Old 07-27-13, 07:01 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
If a pedestrian is strolling across or down the middle of a bike path, he/she can feel pretty confident that no cyclist will run him/her over

Bad assumption. I've been hit from behind by a cyclist on an MUP. He apparently was planning on passing to the left of me but oncoming traffic did not permit him squeezing through. Too much speed and too little judgement. Lucky that I was just grazed and not taken down.

It's unfortunate that the cycling menaces cause us all to be labeled
Old 07-27-13, 07:53 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GojiSube
I am the same way. I avoid FOX News like the plague.
Old 07-27-13, 08:14 AM
genec
genec

I watch the local FOX affiliate in the morning... the weather girl is cute, seems to know her stuff, they use great weather models for forecasting and they don't have the stupid scroll across the bottom of the pic like the other local stations.

As far as FOX goes, it is pretty tame compared to their national programs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.