Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to adjust handlebars?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 01:13 PM
Fib

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to lift the handlebars on my bike up a little bit because I'm uncomfortable with them this low. I tried loosening the bolt thing (I don't know the name of the parts) but there are two (the second one is on the other side that isn't pictured), one would come out and the other wouldn't. The one that wouldn't come out I am assuming is supposed to like, help keep the other one in. With only removing one, the handlebars won't move at all. If you know how to adjust the handlebars, I would appreciate some help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
unnamed.jpg (93.3 KB, 274 views)
Old 01-03-17, 01:36 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some expert may reply, bit my wife has a stem like this. I don't remember details, only that it was finiky.

But You should be able to adjust the angle without removing anything, just loosening.
Old 01-03-17, 01:38 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
Some expert may reply, bit my wife has a stem like this. I don't remember details, only that it was finiky.

But You should be able to adjust the angle without removing anything, just loosening.
Yeah, I tried loosening stuff and it didn't do anything. By the way, do you know what kind of stem it is? That's a question I forgot to add in there.
Old 01-03-17, 01:52 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fib
I tried loosening stuff
The only bolt you should have to loosen is at the pivot point of the stem (with the black washer around it in the picture). You may have to use a wrench from each side to loosen it until the stem moves easily. Position it at the desired angle and retighten. You may also have to loosen the other end of the stem to readjust the handlebars once the desired stem angle is set.

Randomly "loosening stuff" is rarely productive.
Old 01-03-17, 01:56 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
The only bolt you should have to loosen is at the pivot point of the stem (with the black washer around it in the picture). You may have to use a wrench from each side to loosen it until the stem moves easily. Position it at the desired angle and retighten. You may also have to loosen the other end of the stem to readjust the handlebars once the desired stem angle is set.

Randomly "loosening stuff" is rarely productive.
I wasn't "randomly loosening stuff" I was loosening the bolt thing that's like right in the middle of the picture.
Old 01-03-17, 02:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I assume there some "indents" for each number. When the bolt is loose, it may take a bit of effort to move from 1 setting to the next ??

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-03-17, 02:07 PM
kpeex
Flatlander

Bikes: 73 World Voyageur, Klein Rêve x, Novara Fusion Alfine, Novara Gotham Nuvinci, Breezer Cloud 9, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stem I have like that has an inner bolt and a splined outer sleeve for the pivot bolt. You have to withdraw the splined sleeve, from the side opposite the threaded side, far enough to allow the serrated indents to move to a different position.
Old 01-03-17, 02:08 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpeex
The stem I have like that has an inner bolt and a splined outer sleeve for the pivot bolt. You have to withdraw the splined sleeve, from the side opposite the threaded side, far enough to allow the serrated indents to move to a different position.
Ok. Thanks.
Old 01-03-17, 02:08 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I assume there some "indents" for each number. When the bolt is loose, it may take a bit of effort to move from 1 setting to the next ??
Yeah I guess.
Old 01-03-17, 02:11 PM
kpeex
Flatlander

Bikes: 73 World Voyageur, Klein Rêve x, Novara Fusion Alfine, Novara Gotham Nuvinci, Breezer Cloud 9, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look up under the bars, too. There is another Allen headed bolt that holds a locking plate in. Do you have one of those that you may have missed?

Added a picture from the bottom of the bars. Sorry it's not a better view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0526.jpg (66.2 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by kpeex; 01-03-17 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 01-03-17, 02:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
If this doesn't do the trick there is an accessory called a handlebar riser. Costs $6 from an overseas seller Bicycle Fork Stem Extender Bike Handlebar Riser Head Up Adapter Aluminium Alloy | eBay or $8 from a US source Bicycle Fork Stem Extender Bike Handlebar Riser Head Up Adapter Aluminium F6N2 | eBay
The one you find in most bike shops is made by Delta and costs about $20. I used this one on my mountain bike when I wanted to bring the handlebars up and closer to me. https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Alloy-B.../dp/B000FHBED0

The one you have on the bike requires using two metric hex wrenches to loosen it. I tried doing it on an older bike with one of these and couldn't budge the bolt. Some previous owner or bike shop had really horsed down on it when they tightened it.
Old 01-03-17, 02:28 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpeex
Look up under the bars, too. There is another Allen headed bolt that holds a locking plate in. Do you have one of those that you may have missed?

Added a picture from the bottom of the bars. Sorry it's not a better view.
Ok, thank you.
Old 01-03-17, 02:28 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If this doesn't do the trick there is an accessory called a handlebar riser. Costs $6 from an overseas seller Bicycle Fork Stem Extender Bike Handlebar Riser Head Up Adapter Aluminium Alloy | eBay or $8 from a US source Bicycle Fork Stem Extender Bike Handlebar Riser Head Up Adapter Aluminium F6N2 | eBay
The one you find in most bike shops is made by Delta and costs about $20. I used this one on my mountain bike when I wanted to bring the handlebars up and closer to me. https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Alloy-B.../dp/B000FHBED0

The one you have on the bike requires using two metric hex wrenches to loosen it. I tried doing it on an older bike with one of these and couldn't budge the bolt. Some previous owner or bike shop had really horsed down on it when they tightened it.
Ok, thank you.
Old 01-03-17, 02:53 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
FWIW, save yourselves some embarrassment https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...w-cycling.html
I would appreciate it if you could leave me alone and let me get the help I need.

Last edited by Fib; 01-03-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-03-17, 02:59 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to mince words, just spell it out. We're all grownups here!
I'm 16, nobody considers 16 a grown up. I did spell it out, the website censored it.
Old 01-03-17, 03:22 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ok, one and only one friendly warning... the rudeness in this thread is not acceptable.
either from those posting responses to the op or the op himself...
if there is another example of this behavior, childish no matter the age, the thread will be locked and likely some points issued.
Old 01-03-17, 03:31 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
ok, one and only one friendly warning... the rudeness in this thread is not acceptable.
either from those posting responses to the op or the op himself...
if there is another example of this behavior, childish no matter the age, the thread will be locked and likely some points issued.
I'm just trying to get help with my bike and shelbyfv keeps going on my threads saying I'm fake and pretty much telling people not to answer my questions. Go check my other thread, New to cycling
Old 01-03-17, 05:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
You know ... I am not stupid, and I have seen a lot of troll threads here ... but I am also not so fragile in my ego that I will not risk looking stupid, on the off chance that I might actually help somebody.

From what I see, a Lot of posters here really need help.

Fib ... are you trying to change the angle of your bars, or the stem (the piece you pictured above)? Two totally different actions ... though if you move the stem, you might need to move the bars after anyway.

I strongly recommend going to YouTube and looking up whatever you want to do---YouTube has videos on everything from mining and smelting metal to drawing tubes to cutting and welding, .... about everything bike-related from starting with a handful of parts to having built a full bike.

Just search for what you need: "adjusting an adjustable stem," "adjusting handlebars" ... and there will be a bunch of videos---likely you will find one that works for you and your bike.

I ride a Dawes, and have an adjustable stem from a Dawes in some box in my garage. However ... I am too lazy to go look, and you will find what you need faster on YouTube anyway.

If you are a troll ... Well Done! Much better than what we have been getting lately.

As I said, I'd rather try to help and risk looking stupid, than risk alienating someone who wants help.

Or maybe I just like to try to show off how much I think I know and how many words I can type?

I have been taught that the greatest benefit of situations like this one, is that it shows you what is Really inside you---if you care to look, and depending on how deeply you look. These others can post whatever, I don't care. I can look at my responses to them and you and learn about myself, and learn my strengths and weaknesses ... and strengthen my strengths and remove my flaws (hopefully.)

Life is what happens whether we like it or not ... but our Internal lives are what we make of who we are as it intersects with what life throws at us. I don't know how many people on this site see "improvement" as anything more than "biking faster and longer," and/or "seeming more witty than others on the Web."

Threads like this, I can be better, come to know myself better, learn to treat others better. Whatever stimulus gets me there ... shouldn't I be grateful? Shouldn't I use it?

I might be damned slow on a bike, but if I can be honest with myself and others, kind and compassionate towards others, and tolerant of others' faults and flaws and petty attacks ... I really don't care how fast I ride.

Best I can do, as I understand things.

Last edited by Maelochs; 01-03-17 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-03-17, 06:09 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
If you don't mind me saying so, probably be a good idea to just close it now.
Another option is to help with the topic of the thread, or move on.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-03-17, 06:20 PM
Fib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You know ... I am not stupid, and I have seen a lot of troll threads here ... but I am also not so fragile in my ego that I will not risk looking stupid, on the off chance that I might actually help somebody.

From what I see, a Lot of posters here really need help.

Fib ... are you trying to change the angle of your bars, or the stem (the piece you pictured above)? Two totally different actions ... though if you move the stem, you might need to move the bars after anyway.

I strongly recommend going to YouTube and looking up whatever you want to do---YouTube has videos on everything from mining and smelting metal to drawing tubes to cutting and welding, .... about everything bike-related from starting with a handful of parts to having built a full bike.

Just search for what you need: "adjusting an adjustable stem," "adjusting handlebars" ... and there will be a bunch of videos---likely you will find one that works for you and your bike.

I ride a Dawes, and have an adjustable stem from a Dawes in some box in my garage. However ... I am too lazy to go look, and you will find what you need faster on YouTube anyway.

If you are a troll ... Well Done! Much better than what we have been getting lately.

As I said, I'd rather try to help and risk looking stupid, than risk alienating someone who wants help.

Or maybe I just like to try to show off how much I think I know and how many words I can type?

I have been taught that the greatest benefit of situations like this one, is that it shows you what is Really inside you---if you care to look, and depending on how deeply you look. These others can post whatever, I don't care. I can look at my responses to them and you and learn about myself, and learn my strengths and weaknesses ... and strengthen my strengths and remove my flaws (hopefully.)

Life is what happens whether we like it or not ... but our Internal lives are what we make of who we are as it intersects with what life throws at us. I don't know how many people on this site see "improvement" as anything more than "biking faster and longer," and/or "seeming more witty than others on the Web."

Threads like this, I can be better, come to know myself better, learn to treat others better. Whatever stimulus gets me there ... shouldn't I be grateful? Shouldn't I use it?

I might be damned slow on a bike, but if I can be honest with myself and others, kind and compassionate towards others, and tolerant of others' faults and flaws and petty attacks ... I really don't care how fast I ride.

Best I can do, as I understand things.
I swear I am not a troll. I am a 16 year old girl just looking for some help with my bike that I got for Christmas. I don't know why everybody thinks otherwise, but I'm seriously not a troll. I appreciate you trying to help instead of just being rude like a few other people.

Now, I am trying to adjust the handlebars (I didn't even know you could adjust the stem), I posted a picture of the stem because I thought I was supposed to loosen the bolt thing pictured to adjust the handlebars. I've tried looking up videos, but they all say you have to loosen stuff on the stem to adjust the handlebars. In order to find a helpful video I need to know what kind of stem my bike has. I've only heard of two. Thread less stem and quill stem. I looked them up and couldn't tell which one I have.
Old 01-03-17, 06:28 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
to the original question, you will probably have to use two allen wrenches to loosen both sides of the bolt you're dealing with. As one poster mentioned, it's probably got a sleeve and a bolt together in there. Don't be afraid to take it apart entirely to get a good look at what you're working with in there.

Next, be very sure to tighten stuff up nice and securely when you're done repositioning it all more to your liking. If you find yourself at all unsure about the safety of the stem or bars when you're done, take the bike to a local bike shop and ask for help. This adjustment could probably be done in about 3 minutes (and probably for free) if you ask nicely.

Don't underestimate the danger of incorrectly re-assembling/tightening your stem. Imagine your handlebars coming off while you're going 20 mph. Not good.
Old 01-03-17, 06:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

If you look at the picture you posted, the handlebars are at the far right ... and are help to the stem (the main piece in the photo) by what looks like a plate facing forward with two or three or four bolts (looks like one top center and at least one underneath.) Those would be what you loosen a little to move the bars.

All that will do is allow you to angle the bars back or forward a little , pivoting around the center mount. if you want to do other things with handlebars, you will need to watch more videos.
Old 01-03-17, 06:33 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Fib
Thread less stem and quill stem. I looked them up and couldn't tell which one I have.
you have an adjustable threadless stem.

the process to adjust it is probably pretty similar to this video:

this guy talks all about the pros and cons o adjustable stems and doesn't seem to like them.. Won't help you in adjusting it, but it might be good food for thought, anyway:
Old 01-03-17, 06:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Fib
Now, I am trying to adjust the handlebars (I didn't even know you could adjust the stem)
To make sure we're all on the same page:

Old 01-03-17, 06:45 PM
Maelochs

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FE4E&FORM=VIRE Look at about 2:45

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4B&FORM=VRDGAR

As Goenrdoug noted, you have a threadless adjustable stem (maybe more accurately a threadless headset and an adjustable stem.)

Anyway ... Seriously, go to YouTube and browse videos under the appropriate headings. You will see pretty quickly if the stuff they are working on is similar to what you have.

The fact that two of us were able to find this stuff so quickly tells me that you can find it too .... maybe not so quickly as it would take you longer to figure out if they were working on a bike like yours ....

I think Park Tools has a good series of videos on useful stuff .... but .... as I say all too often to people, "Google it."

One big annoyance I have with people nowadays is that everyone has a smartphone connected to just about all the information in the world ... and nobody uses it. back in the day people had to go to libraries and look through hundreds of magazine articles to find anything even vaguely related, or read half-a-dozen books looking for some info which ended up not being there. (Plus, we had to walk uphill to school both ways in the snow ... even in the summer.)

If you don't know the right name for a particular part (like "adjustable threadless stem") we can tell you, and from there you can find more info than you need.

Because I don't have an identical bike, I cannot give you perfect advice for how to fix or adjust every bit and piece, but between the folks here and the Internet we can find enough for you to assemble the answers you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.