Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this bike worth $125

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this bike worth $125

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 08:56 AM
Connorbr0s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this bike worth $125

I found a used like new nishiki pueblo for $125 im trying to get into biking is it a good price for it?
Old 08-31-20, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Things are fetching higher prices, now that people want to Socially Distance themselves, which cannot be done on Public Transportation..
Old 08-31-20, 09:09 AM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
The Nishiki Pueblo mountain bike is selling for $280 at Dicks Sporting goods. I think $125 is a decent price used since it has Shimano parts..Make sure its the right size or it will be no bargain.
Old 08-31-20, 10:47 AM
Connorbr0s

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yep its the perfect size for me
Old 08-31-20, 10:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dick's sporting goods may not have had any one to get the fine tuning done, they just put it together.. enough to sell it..
so go to a proper bike shop and have it, at least, safety checked...
Old 08-31-20, 11:35 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I heard that Dick's was using Detroit Bikes to build wheels and assemble their Nishiki's.
Old 08-31-20, 11:43 AM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
When I retired I needed something to help fill my time, so I worked for 7 years as a bike tech at Dick's. We sold a ton of these bikes, mostly to teens. The only problems we had were caused by the typical abuse that kids give their bikes. It is a basic, entry level "mountain" bike, steel frame, basic but solid Shimano equipped. They regularly went on sale for $199.00.

If it's in good shape, and considering the current bike situation, it is probably worth the money. You could do a lot worse.

And - fietsbob: When I worked at Dick's I had one rule regarding every bike I built or serviced: It had to be safe enough that I would allow my only grandson to ride it. As a result we developed a sold repeat clientele at our store. We were fortunate that in our region we had several techs that were bikers and were very competent. But this was not always the case at all stores, as there were a couple techs that I would not have trusted to build a kiddie trike. But I heard a lot of horror stories about the LBS too. It all comes down the individual tech and the old saying, "Let the buyer beware."

As a used bike, what Dick's did or didn't do originally is immaterial. Take it somewhere and have it checked out.

Last edited by MNebiker; 08-31-20 at 03:04 PM. Reason: sp
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 08-31-20, 02:36 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
The first question should be, is this bike suitable for the type of riding you want to do? It may work out alright if the idea is to run errands/commute and tool around on bike paths with some light, non-paved trails thrown in but if you want to get into actual mountain biking, I'd say look elsewhere.

I may be wrong but that fork just looks sketchy to me. Even on cheap suspension forks, I've never seen a welded brake bridge as opposed to one-piece lowers. I don't think I'd trust it pointed down a steep, rough trail though it may work well enough to soak up some of the bumps in the road or multi-use path. If you can try it out before buying it, I'd highly recommend that since, as roth pointed out, proper fit is everything. Also, I think grip shifters can be a bit of an acquired taste so, if you can test ride, be sure to run it through all the gears to see if you like the feel of them.

I appreciate budget concerns or the thrill of a bargain but I think you always need to put purpose ahead of price. If you intend to ride within the capabilities of this bike and it's comfortable for you, then $125 is a great investment in fitness and fun. If the bike isn't up to what you want to do with it, it will be a waste of money.
Old 08-31-20, 03:14 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I heard that Dick's was using Detroit Bikes to build wheels and assemble their Nishiki's.
They are doing this for the Nishiki Colorado series, but the bikes are shipped to Dick's distribution centers knocked down and boxed. The local store still needs to do the final assembly and setup.
Old 08-31-20, 03:18 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
They are doing this for the Nishiki Colorado series, but the bikes are shipped to Dick's distribution centers knocked down and boxed. The local store still needs to do the final assembly and setup.
Thanks for the info.