Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any roadies dealing with Invisalign?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 12:45 PM
delphipro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I’ve recently started riding a road bike (after spending the last 2 years and 1000 miles on a mountain bike), and in the last few weeks I also started wearing Invisalign. I’m wondering if anyone else is coping with this and how it has affected your on ride snacking.

For anything longer than 30 miles I used to always take a break every hour or so and eat one or two granola bars, but realistically that is out of the question. The only thing you should be having is clear cold liquids, so I’m trying to find an alternative snack.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-06, 12:47 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just pop the trays off and snack, then put it back on. i dont see a problem in that?
Old 04-28-06, 12:51 PM
delphipro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
just pop the trays off and snack, then put it back on. i dont see a problem in that?
Because generally that is gross. Also, mine are in so tight (8 buttons on the bottom) that it takes a good 5 minutes of wrestling to take off, so I try to minimize taking them out. Now, of course it would be possible to find a place to go and wash your hands, take them out, eat, brush your teeth and pop them back in.
Old 04-28-06, 01:31 PM
crash66
Lucky 47

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Invisalign? I take it that we are not talking about a new brand of bibs that have no visible shammy lines?
Old 04-28-06, 01:38 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused.
Old 04-28-06, 01:54 PM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
I'm confused.

Braces

https://www.drtoothy.com/pictures/Braces-invisalign.jpg
Old 04-28-06, 01:56 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delphipro
Because generally that is gross. Also, mine are in so tight (8 buttons on the bottom) that it takes a good 5 minutes of wrestling to take off, so I try to minimize taking them out. Now, of course it would be possible to find a place to go and wash your hands, take them out, eat, brush your teeth and pop them back in.
if youve just very recently started on them it is difficult (and slightly painful) to do that. give it a week and it wont be difficult. brush when you get home... i mean... ya ogtta eat
Old 04-28-06, 02:07 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we have a consensus here...

Old 04-28-06, 02:59 PM
delphipro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Invisalign are basically invisible(ish) braces. They are tiny plastic pieces that you were for a fixed period of time. You were them all the time except when eating and brushing. The only thing you are supposed to consume with them on is cold clear liquids.

More info:
https://invisalign.com/generalapp/us/en/index.jsp
Originally Posted by Doggus
I think we have a consensus here...

Old 04-28-06, 03:00 PM
delphipro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm one month into it with seven to go. It hasn't gotten much better. But it would be nice if it did get better.

Originally Posted by redfooj
if youve just very recently started on them it is difficult (and slightly painful) to do that. give it a week and it wont be difficult. brush when you get home... i mean... ya ogtta eat
Old 04-28-06, 05:57 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow..7month is a really short cycle. you can always stick with powergels ... however, i had no reservations about taking my trays off and on multiple times over the day
Old 04-28-06, 06:34 PM
scot
Going once, going twice..

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have 18 buttons, so I feel your pain. I wouldn't worry about it, pull em out, eat something and slap them back. Is it a bit gross? Yep. After 30 miles how do you think you smell? Gross? Yep. It wont hurt others opinions of you

As for drinks, I take both a green something drink and water, just drink the sugar water then flush with the clear. Refill when you can.

Scot
Old 04-28-06, 08:23 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
How much were those invisialigns?
Old 04-28-06, 08:40 PM
Zurich
You only YOLO once

Bikes: Merica

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in dental school, so if we could get some pictures, that would be rad!
Old 04-29-06, 10:00 AM
scot

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Invisalign is paid based on how long the doctor believes he will see you. Mine cost 5500 bucks, which I used in combination with my FSA? I think thats it, for pre-tax medical spending. I have been wearing them for almost 2.5 years, and should have been done 9 months ago, then again a month ago but I am not quite there yet. Unfortunately I needed more correction to twist some hard to move teeth and to aleviate my deep bite, everything else is perfectly straight. Minor corrections, but 18 wonderful buttons. (Just so you know, 18 doesnt mean anything until you know that when they were putting them in I had 10 nurses standing around me saying "wow, I've never seen so many" over and over. And they have had thousands of patients. )

It is a long slow and expensive process. Somewhat painful, but not utterly so. Truthfully the hardest part for me was after the first "mid-course correction" going from 5 buttons to 18. Those plastic buttons REALLY hold on to the braces, and I kept getting cuts under my fingernails trying to pry those bastards off.

Personally if I know I am going to be eating during the trip, I just dont wear the braces and just leave them in the car. I know I shouldn't leave them out for 3 hours, but hey, whatcha gonna do. If I discover I misjudged and need to eat during a ride, I yank em, eat, and put them right back. Anyone who cares enough to think thats nasty can KMA

Scot
Old 04-29-06, 11:09 AM
josephvman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Scot,

I've been wearing Orthoclear clear braces for about a year, and my doc estimates six months left of treatment. It's my understanding that Orthoclear is basically like Invisalign, and my doc offers both, but prefers the Orthoclear, which according to him was an improved system developed by the same group that started Invisalign. My braces are just thin, clear trays that snap over my teeth, and I was wondering what you mean when you refer to "buttons". My trays just pop out when I pull on them, though they're always a little tight after getting a new set, which is every three weeks. I can't imagine spending five minutes trying to pry those things out of my mouth! It's interesting that you say Invisalign bases the cost on how long it takes, as my treatment was flat-price regardless of time, around $5k.

Obligatory bike content: Eating on the go is always a bit of a pain with these braces. I've found that if I'm on the bike and I eat something, swishing water around my teeth and expelling any loose junk, and then wiping my teeth off with a paper towel will be sufficient. It's also easier if you can choose snacks that aren't as grainy or sticky. I've found that Efferdent denture cleaner works great for keeping them clean. Every morning I drop them in Efferdent while I'm showering, and they're nice and clean by the time I'm done toweling off.
Old 04-29-06, 06:54 PM
scot

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, both are the same idea. I believe he mechanism is slightly different on the creation side but they work the same way.

Buttons or "attachments" are small very hard plastic peices that are cemented to your teeth and gripped by the aligners. Once on, they are shaped and provide a way to provide additional pressure on your teeth.

In my case I have a deep bite, ie my front teeth go down too far, and by bottom teeth in the front go up a bit too far. The buttons provide the leverage required so they pull down on my rear top teeth (with buttons) and push up on my front teeth. This is what headgear used to do for kids, though lemme tell you what. When I had the first button set removed to get the second set, I wished I had headgear. The dremel tool used to remove the buttons drives me nuts. It doesnt hurt or damage your teeth, but the vibrations it sends into my head IS painful. Most people dont seem to be bothered by it of course, so I am just lucky. Cant wait to sit through 3+ hours of that when the 18 come off. (5-10 minutes each, when you include the final polishing etc)

Scot
Old 09-29-20, 01:04 AM
JamesReid

Bikes: mountain bike and electric dirt bike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I’ve recently started riding a road bike (after spending the last 2 years and 1000 miles on a mountain bike), and in the last few weeks I also started wearing Invisalign. I’m wondering if anyone else is coping with this and how it has affected your on ride snacking.

For anything longer than 30 miles I used to always take a break every hour or so and eat one or two granola bars, but realistically that is out of the question. The only thing you should be having is clear cold liquids, so I’m trying to find an alternative snack.

Any suggestions?
Mate, you can just take if off and put it inside the case, then eat your snack. I'm also planning to have my Invisalign from this clinic https://orthoworx.com/about-invisalign/. How much it cost you to wear that, i know its a lot more expensive back then. Now its more affordable that's why I want to have it now. Thanks delphipro for the reply.
Old 09-29-20, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesReid
Mate, you can just take if off and put it inside the case, then eat your snack. I'm also planning to have my Invisalign from this clinic https://orthoworx.com/about-invisalign/. How much it cost you to wear that, i know its a lot more expensive back then. Now its more affordable that's why I want to have it now. Thanks delphipro for the reply.
I’m willing to bet he’s figured things out since this thread was started 14 years ago.
Old 09-29-20, 11:57 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
When I had mine I'd usually leave them at home for one or two hour rides. You only need to have them in for 20-22 hours a day, so taking them out for an hour or two won't ruin you. That said, if you ride much longer than that, you might just need to buy some of those pocket disposable toothbrushes and you'd stop, eat, sprinkle some water on the brush to brush them and then put them back in. Or, just swish a few gulps of water on your mouth and then pop them back in. I think there is a fine print somewhere that says if you can't brush, swish some water, put them in and brush as soon as possible.

Edit: Damnit. I fed the necro.
Likes For am0n:
Old 09-29-20, 01:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
Edit: Damnit. I fed the necro.
Old 09-29-20, 09:18 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts

Any suggestions?
I don't have invisaligns, but I mainly consume GU gels. One per hour sounds about right. I eat a bowl of cereal about an hour before heading out, and pop the first gel about two hours in. Sometimes I also bring some Gatorade Endurance Carb chews for a bit of variation. I rarely eat anything solid, and avoid fat and protein.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop