Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

how to get rid of soda addiction?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

how to get rid of soda addiction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 11:53 AM
budfan08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the help! i think im going to go get some green tea today and cut my self off of soda for good. Ill let ya guys know how i do!
Old 10-14-09, 11:54 AM
RatedZeroHero
foolishly delirious

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
I view juices as healthier. The thought of all those tablespoons in coke is sickening.
have you looked at how much sugar/HFCS is in those juices?

Dr. Gabe Mirkin and Dr. Mercola both say if you are going to do fruit eat fruit don't drink it all the good stuff goes away with the pulp...
Old 10-14-09, 01:20 PM
lucid0ne

Bikes: Schwinn 72 Super Sport, schwinn FS MTB, #3 work in progress!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the arnold palmer, haven't had one of those in months.
Old 10-14-09, 02:53 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RatedZeroHero
oh yeah drinking from aluminum or BPA containing plastics...

something i try to avoid even when i still drank alcohol avoided the cans... direct link to Alzheimer's...

we threw away all our Nalgene water bottles becaue of BPA...

side note NEVER microwave food in a plastic container the chemicals leech out into the food... hell I dont even have a microwave!

or a television... life is good
The expert view on aluminium

Since the idea that the metal might be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease was first proposed there have been numerous conferences on aluminium and health. The medical research community, international and government regulatory agencies and the aluminium industry all review the evidence at frequent intervals. The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present (Massey and Taylor 1989).

It has proved extremely difficult to devise studies to resolve this problem one way or another. Alzheimer's is a common disease with multiple causes, while aluminium is widespread in the environment, and there are no methods that allow us to measure an individual's 'body burden' or lifetime exposure to this element.
Old 10-14-09, 02:57 PM
RatedZeroHero
foolishly delirious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
The expert view on aluminium

Since the idea that the metal might be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease was first proposed there have been numerous conferences on aluminium and health. The medical research community, international and government regulatory agencies and the aluminium industry all review the evidence at frequent intervals. The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present (Massey and Taylor 1989).

It has proved extremely difficult to devise studies to resolve this problem one way or another. Alzheimer's is a common disease with multiple causes, while aluminium is widespread in the environment, and there are no methods that allow us to measure an individual's 'body burden' or lifetime exposure to this element.
I remember hearing it... works for me. But they are probably the same people that told us Splenda was good for us too!
Old 10-14-09, 05:24 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never really been a big soda drinker, I take my coffee black, and do not put sugar in my tea. I drink a lot of water, and enjoy it. But every now and then I want something that has a flavor to it. I'll put a Crystal Light packet into it. One packet for a regular 16.9 oz bottle of water. They have a lot of flavors to choose from, and they taste great. They're sugarless, have low calories and low sodium.

If you're not concerned about the controversy surrounding Aspartame I recommend it. I love them.
Old 10-14-09, 05:48 PM
love2commute

Bikes: Mongoose Paver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Anyway, I was drinking between 2.5 to 3.5 two liters (5 to 7 liters total) of Mtn Dew a day, (for at least 40 years) but after having "discovered" Lipton ENERGIZE to go tea, I've quit drinking the dew (for the most part, still might have a 2 liter once in a while), and am drinking 3 or 4 of my 60 ounce jugs of that tea a day. (3 tubes of tea per jug) The "Energize" tea has 50 MG caffeine per 8 ounces, Dew was only 36 MG per 8 ounces. Gotta keep them head aches at bay! Yes, I are addicted to caffeine.
That was me too until I started commuting 2 months ago. Thought I better start eating and drinking better things. So I've cut back to 2-4 cans a day and started drinking about a gallon of unsweetened Nestea a day.

Quick question, bicyclridr4life, is the Lipton "Energize" sweetened?
Old 10-14-09, 05:55 PM
Panic!
Fatboy

Bikes: Fuji Panic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been up and down with the soda over the years. When I was active army, I would go through between 12 and 24 cans of MtD in a day. Then no soda for a long time. Then back to the dew until I got burned out on it, and now am a Dr. Pepper fiend. I think I'm hitting burnout on soda in general now, and I need to lose about 15 more lbs anyway. Back to bottled water.

For the OP: One thing that helps me stay away from soda is carrying a bottle of water everywhere with me. IF you are never thirsty, you will only drink soda occasionally, just for the taste. YOu will enjoy it more then as well.
Old 10-14-09, 07:09 PM
lucid0ne

Bikes: Schwinn 72 Super Sport, schwinn FS MTB, #3 work in progress!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats with mountain dew?I swear they put MSG in to keep you sliding towards type II so they can shove a bunch of overpriced pills down your throat.All my friends are addicted to that baja blast and plain ole radioactive urine original. x.x

Sorry just ranting no offense to the MtD drinkers I used to love this stuff called surge, you could feel the sugar take you for a ride sorta like jolt but more sugar and whatever they can get away adding to get you bouncing off walls.
Old 10-14-09, 07:10 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Plain Seltzer. Add real lemon or lime if you want flavor.
Old 10-14-09, 07:37 PM
AiredaleII

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started my diet 44 days ago, but who's counting Anyways, prior to the diet I would typically consume two can's of caffeine free Diet Coke with a meal and in the course of a day consume probably 6 cans total.

Now when I have a meal I still have the soda but I don't even drink half of one can. Total daily consumption now is less than 1 can. I really can't explain it, but since I started the diet I no longer crave the soda.
Old 10-14-09, 08:05 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by love2commute
That was me too until I started commuting 2 months ago. Thought I better start eating and drinking better things. So I've cut back to 2-4 cans a day and started drinking about a gallon of unsweetened Nestea a day.

Quick question, bicyclridr4life, is the Lipton "Energize" sweetened?
Sugar Free, has "Aspartame" (what ever the heck that is) for sweetener.
Old 10-14-09, 08:06 PM
fastev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AiredaleII
I started my diet 44 days ago, but who's counting Anyways, prior to the diet I would typically consume two can's of caffeine free Diet Coke with a meal and in the course of a day consume probably 6 cans total.

Now when I have a meal I still have the soda but I don't even drink half of one can. Total daily consumption now is less than 1 can. I really can't explain it, but since I started the diet I no longer crave the soda.
I'm in the same boat. I don't enjoy the taste of soda anymore. At lunch today I tried mixing half diet and half cherry Pepsi, wasn't happening. Just water and milk anymore for me.
Old 10-14-09, 08:31 PM
willmw
Old enough to know better

Bikes: Haro Heartland Express LE, Dawes Lightning 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iced green tea with lemon...very thirst quenching.
Old 10-14-09, 08:56 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by uberalles
i occasionally treat myself with a nice sweet tea.... it's what we live on in the south ...
I never could get used to that and boiled peanuts.

I do need to find an alternative to the cola/soda/pop/coke. I only like tea when it is hot. I suppose I will just have to go with water.
Old 10-15-09, 10:04 AM
love2commute

Bikes: Mongoose Paver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
I never could get used to that and boiled peanuts.
I completely agree. I'd never heard of them until I met my wife (who is from Florida) and she loves the things. I personally can't even stand the smell. She has been trying to found some up here (Nebraska) and people look at her like she has lost her mind.

Thanks bicyclridr4life, I'll have to give it a try.
Old 10-15-09, 11:04 AM
kazuri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you guys kidding?! Boiled peanuts are awesome! The best ones are always found in flea markets(usually real dark in color and bigger than the average nut).. They taste much better when they are hot.. I'm from florida, and have been eating them all my life, tried making them/buying at stores but they never come out as great as the good ol flea market ones. I also hate tea, everyone here thinks I'm weird because of it. Tastes like drinking grass to me.

As for quitting coke.. In highschool I quit drinking it cold turkey for almost a year, and recently I have done the same. I love the stuff(a 2liter a day for years), but I dont really have a hard time quitting.. Although if its in the house its a bit harder to resist.. but if its not here its a lot easier. So just stop buying it! Although if you're living with other people that drink it, it might be a bit harder..
Old 10-15-09, 10:03 PM
RyStan

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale R500 2010 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Sugar Free, has "Aspartame" (what ever the heck that is) for sweetener.
That ingredient right there should be good motivation to stop drinking some soda...tasty little poison
Old 10-16-09, 10:48 AM
Leicester Lad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason, I found that I missed the effervescence of soda more than the sugary taste and caffeine. Solution: sparkling mineral water. My favorite one is the Poland Spring stuff from Maine - you can pick it up in places like Whole Foods and similar 'healthy' grocery stores for around $1.15 a bottle. These days I seem to drink gallons of the stuff a week (which tells me how much soda I was probably drinking in the bad old days.)

Having forsaken soda I decided not to replace it with diet soda. There's a pretty horrible concoction of chemicals in that stuff. My Dad was a mechanic, and he always told me that if you soak badly corroded parts in a cup of a leading diet soda (in fact, probably the most famous diet soda of all time), then they clean up just fine. I tried it a while ago with a corroded silver-plate pendant my wife was trying to restore. It worked a treat...only trouble was it took off a lot of the silver plate, along with the corrosion. I decided shortly afterward that maybe I didn't want that stuff in my stomach...
Old 10-16-09, 09:19 PM
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer

Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i keep a gallon of water right next to me at ALL times even at work. it really appeals to my laziness. i will drink the water rather than go to the fridge and get a soda. now since i don't keep soda in the house i don't feel like going to the store to get soda so i drink from the gallon of water i keep next to me even at the computer or on the couch.
Old 10-16-09, 10:43 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The head of the FDA in the 80's was fired because he would not approve Aspartame..

Reagan appointed a new FDA commissioner, he cited an obscure Japanese study stating it was safe and Aspartame was approved to poison us all.. The influence of Donald Rumsfeld who was the CEO of Searle at the time was the main proponent pushing aspartame to be approved..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5slnNB8h0
https://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1488524526735#
Old 10-16-09, 11:16 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
Addiction.The word is a fallacy.Just stop if you want to.
Well, "addiction" isn't a fallacy, but I'll admit this was my first thought, too: If you're worried about the amount of soda you drink, drink less.
If missing the caffeine gives you a headache, either HTFU or take Tylenol for a few days. It will pass. The thirst-quenching aspect is in your head, and you can overcome that by drinking water BEFORE you get thirsty. Spending money on bottled water is even dumber than drinking soda (clean, pure water runs out of taps all over America), but you can carry an insulated cup or refill a bottle (personally, I'm embarrassed to carry a bottle around--I don't want people to think I was silly enough to pay 2 bucks for it)
Old 10-16-09, 11:21 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
(clean, pure water runs out of taps all over America)
If you can tolerate the reek of the chlorine in Buena Park's water.
Old 10-17-09, 06:54 AM
Redskin8006

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Leicester Lad. For me it was the fizziness of soda. I switched from that popular diet soda that cleans auto parts to seltzer water several years ago. I guess I'm lucky since I didn't have a problem with quitting caffeine. I went full decaf a few years ago also. When I need an energy boost, I drink Vitamin Water. FWIW, I replaced coffee with decaf green tea or herbal tea.
Old 10-17-09, 07:26 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Stopping drinking soda is your problem?

I think you need some bigger challenges in your life. This is sort of silly.

Just STOP!!

Drink water.

Sheesh!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-17-09 at 07:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.