Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2WD bikes - Do they actually work?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 12:00 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

On our local Craigslist page I found this 2WD mountain bike with a flexible drive shaft to drive the front wheel. Not that I want to buy it but I have never seen one of these.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...239390279.html
But this driveshaft looks heavy and cumbersome. Plus I wonder how they handle the different speeds of front and rear wheel while turning. Every car has a differential but this bike probably doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2WD bike 1.jpg (41.2 KB, 408 views)
2WD bike 2.jpg (42.1 KB, 404 views)
2WD bike 3.jpg (997 Bytes, 405 views)
2WD bike 4.jpg (35.6 KB, 402 views)
Old 08-04-17, 12:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Buy it and report back , take a risk.. the drive connection is a cable, like speedometers or curved shaft weed whackers.

any more you'd just get a front wheel with an electric motor hub, , get another or a mid drive for the back.

maybe a mid drive with a Kw motor will have enough power to turn both wheels..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-04-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 02:00 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I could see a system like this having potential on a fatbike that's used for sand and snow riding, but outside of such very loose terrain, I don't know how much the extra drive traction from the front wheel would help.
Old 08-04-17, 02:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A classic case of a solution looking for a problem.

When I owned my shop a local lawyer acquired a warehouse full of those and kept trying to get me to sell them for him. He dropped one off without my permission and wouldn't respond to my calls to pick it up. Eventually I threw it, unopened box and all, into the dumpster. About 3 months later he called to ask about it. He didn't believe that I considered the space to be worth more than the bike.
Old 08-04-17, 02:36 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

When I owned my shop a local lawyer acquired a warehouse full of those and kept trying to get me to sell them for him. He dropped one off without my permission and wouldn't respond to my calls to pick it up. Eventually I threw it, unopened box and all, into the dumpster. About 3 months later he called to ask about it. He didn't believe that I considered the space to be worth more than the bike.
The seems awfully wasteful, I'd have put the box outside the store with a "FREE" sign at least.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 08-05-17, 07:48 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Were they available in red???
Old 08-05-17, 08:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'd have to assume that a 2WD bike would be a failure without a differential between the two wheels.
Old 08-05-17, 09:24 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I have seen a few here in Japan, but not the cable-type as in the photo. The ones here use a secondary change which runs up the downtube to an idler gear, which then runs to a sprocket on the front wheel. These were sophisticated bikes, and rather expensive.

Personally, I haven't really seen the need for an 2WD bike. When climbing, most weight is on the rear wheel, and any additional traction provided by the front would probably not be worth the effort required to turn the extra machinery.

BTY, tire slip releases driveline tension if one wheel turns more quickly than another. Unless one tire is a much different size, a 2WD system will not need any differential gearing.
Old 08-06-17, 03:06 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
On our local Craigslist page I found this 2WD mountain bike with a flexible drive shaft to drive the front wheel. Not that I want to buy it but I have never seen one of these. ...
This subject has come up multiple times over the years, and I've already replied to it, but anyway--

1. Years ago I got to test ride one of those bikes at a LBS. The 2WD does work, but only if you are in a very-low-traction situation, such as deep mud or snow.

2. the cable drive did add some drag, and there was no way to "turn it off" so to speak. If you could disengage the cable from spinning when 2WD was not needed, it would have been a much more practical idea.

3. The rear plastic gear was fixed to the rear hub. The front hub was a rear hub, that had a freewheel that the front drive gear was mounted on. Since the front wheel rolls farther in a turn than the rear, that prevented the cable from twisting up. The front wheel could always coast faster than the rear, but the front wheel couldn't ever turn slower than the rear wheel.

4. The plastic gears actually did last a pretty long time and were cheap to replace... but there's nobody making them now, so that hardly matters. They were made extruded nylon, the same tough stuff that OLD milk crates used to be made of.

5. The bike overall was pretty low quality. I remember it cost $400 and was about equal to a $150 wal-mart bike at the time, except for the extra 2wd parts added/welded on.

6. There's been at least 2 or 3 people/small companies in the US that have tried building bikes with flexible-cord drive, since the 1980's or so. Two were selling MTBs, and one was selling a BMX bike frame.
Old 08-06-17, 04:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
But this driveshaft looks heavy and cumbersome. Plus I wonder how they handle the different speeds of front and rear wheel while turning. Every car has a differential but this bike probably doesn't.
Not to mention an awful lot of friction has to be introduced with that cable system. Not to mention a maintenance nightmare. I can't imagine the corrosion that might build up, especially for a mountain bike.
Old 08-06-17, 09:44 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Not to mention an awful lot of friction has to be introduced with that cable system. Not to mention a maintenance nightmare. I can't imagine the corrosion that might build up, especially for a mountain bike.
I wouldn't say an "awful lot." I've ridden quite a few bikes with old school speedometers and taking the spedo and cable on/off made no noticeable difference in pedaling efficiency or rolling speed. I'd say the cable on the 2wd bike adds less than 10w, probably closer to 5.
Old 08-07-17, 04:49 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I wouldn't say an "awful lot." I've ridden quite a few bikes with old school speedometers and taking the spedo and cable on/off made no noticeable difference in pedaling efficiency or rolling speed. I'd say the cable on the 2wd bike adds less than 10w, probably closer to 5.

ENORMOUS difference between driving a speedometer and driving a wheel. Cable is going to be much, much thicker.
Old 08-07-17, 06:59 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I remember seeing the design 20-30 years ago. Apparently the design never took off or it'd still be in stores. It was a low-quality bike then, and like Doug5150 says, don't count on spare parts being available.
Old 08-07-17, 09:40 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you wish for higher quality modern bike, there is one outfit that designed and manufactured them for an Antarctic expedition, and sell to the public: https://christinibicycles.com/

Appears to be of much higher quality, and has a clutch/disengagement mechanism
Old 08-08-17, 11:59 AM
gabe3366

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is pretty cool!
Old 08-09-17, 09:50 AM
jay ray

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guy hooked a concrete vibrator on that thing and is BS'ing the world.
Old 09-14-20, 09:31 AM
monocoquemike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mentioned in the thread, there is in fact a bmx that was made with a AWD set up. They also did a set up for Mountain bikes. The company was called Turner Drive Systems. I have a bmx and a mountain bike setup. Someone said earlier in the thread that it would be much more useful if you could disengage the AWD set up for MTB use. With the set up that I have, you are able to disengage the AWD.
Old 09-14-20, 10:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Didn't check, but I thought a lady rode to one of the poles on a Christini. Also, he was fiddling with attaching an e-motor to the system. Not for me, a semi-weight weenie though.
Old 09-14-20, 02:45 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's funny, I was going to say the same thing. Any gains of traction you might get from 2WD means you're just going to have to pedal a bit harder to get it. And then you have to contend with the friction losses in the cable/gearing system when you just want to coast. And I suppose it also means wearing out both tires faster instead of just the rear tire.
Old 09-14-20, 02:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
That cable is A LOT bigger than a speedometer cable.
Old 09-15-20, 07:58 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
In Dallas that 2wd setup is completely useless. The soil type here is unrideable when wet. If you do go out when it is wet and the trails are closed you can be ticketed in some cases. The steep, loose climbs we do have are best tackled with momentum.