Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB threads

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 06:37 AM
RoadRaj

Bikes: Schwinn Mesa GS I LOVE it 20year old as well

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB threads

Hi if I put a threadless bb in a threaded shell will the bb wreck the existing threads. The reason I ask is I didn't know what threadlock was and in the meantime I bought a threadless bb, I will have to wait for a week for the threadlock and I have the threadless bb in my hand and its sunny thanks in advance
Old 04-04-20, 08:01 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
By threadless, I assume you mean press fit BB? There is no way that any press fit BB can be installed in a threaded frame. A threaded BB also requires a special tool for installation. Try the Park Tool website for more info on the various types of BBs and the tools needed to install them. Thread lock, like loctite, is not required for a threaded BB.

https://www.parktool.com/search?q=bo...t+installation
Old 04-04-20, 08:12 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Also don’t use threadlock on a threaded BB. Standard grease, taping with plumbers tape, or antiseize all work well on BB threads.
Old 04-04-20, 08:22 AM
RoadRaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah the problem is a bit difficult to explain but basically the new bb when tightened up on the drive side just keeps turning when pinched up, so I reckon the threads are a bit knackered my solution is to fit a threadless sealed unit. However the threads seem to be in good condition, some people have said use a liquid weld some people say threadlock and now plumbers tape. In the meantime the threadless sealed unit has arrived so I want to know if I temporarily fit it will it destroy the existing threads in the shell as it is sunny
Old 04-04-20, 09:11 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I don't completely understand the use of "knackered" in this case...but your description sounds like the threads are already destroyed.

At one point you say the threads are good. And then you say they're no good.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 04-04-20 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 10:54 AM
RoadRaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah it's difficult to explain as the threads look ok it's just that I can't fully tighten the bb it gets quite tight but then keeps turning this is on the drive side other side fine and maybe threadlock would do the job
Old 04-04-20, 11:03 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Is this possibly a Swiss or Raleigh BB?
Old 04-04-20, 11:19 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
What's the bike and what's the bottom bracket? If you took a fixed cup out of the frame and there wasn't damage to either the fitting or the bb shell, there's no obvious reason how or why the threads on anything could be buggered. Could you be trying to install an English thread BB in a Swiss threaded shell? or French into Italian?

If you do have a bb that won't accept the proper threaded cups, the threadless BB you're discussing may be one of the Velo Orange ones. They work by expanding. Their instruction video says to use blue locktight and I'm told they won't work on Italian threaded shells as the Italian shells are a little too big for a tight fit. Never used one of these, but they're said to work well when appropriate.
Old 04-04-20, 12:30 PM
RoadRaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is a Schwinn Mesa GS it's twenty years old the bb is shimano 68/116 mm threaded. When I inspected it it was loose when I tried to tighten it up anticlockwise as it is on the drive side it wouldn't pinch up just kept turning. I inspected the shell threads and there was no discernable damage so after going online I decided to use a closed threaded bb and my question was can I install this, use the bike without damaging the shell threads any further with the slight hope in fitting the old bb (which is very good) at a later stage thanks
Old 04-04-20, 01:49 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I suspect the threads in the BB shell on the frame are damaged. You can go to a shop to see if it can be re-tapped/chased.

You should not try to press in a non-threaded BB into a threaded BB shell.
Old 04-04-20, 02:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Original thread.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ket-query.html