Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tires - overnight pressure loss question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 09:00 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

I just mounted three sets of tubeless tires on three separate wheel sets. Added 2oz of sealant per wheel to the 700x28C tires and about 3oz of sealant to the 700x32C tires.

On all three sets one of the two tires was pretty much flat the next morning. Added a little more sealant to each tire that had lost most of it's pressure, pumped each back up to about 90 PSI, bounced the tire off the ground a few times, spun it, etc... Rode one of the wheel sets about 25 miles but couldn't ride all three...

I know going flat overnight isn't acceptable but what is the approximate amount of air loss in a tubeless setup overnight? I checked the set I'd ridden and they were down about 3PSI the next day.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-20, 05:38 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I find some air loss is common after first setting up, but it dissipates after a ride or two as the sealant has an opportunity through riding to distribute.I wouldn’t worry about three pounds, you may have lost that much just via the act of using a pressure gauge.

But if you are going completely flat, something isn’t right. Two common causes of a failure to seal are taping issues and valve stem not being fully seated. Make sure the tape you are using is wide enough to fully seal spoke holes (assumingyour rim has holes) — it should be wide enough to cover from bead channel to bead channel. For the stem, when installing, press hard from inside of the rim while tightening the valve nut with fingers. Some wheels require more effort to get the valve to fully seat than others.

Last edited by DOS; 05-19-20 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 12:09 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I've had these issues before (and right now with a rear wheel on my gravel bike) and it's usually been the result of the tire not completely seating on the rim. The fix that's worked for me has been to put a tube in before setting up tubeless, go for a ride (or two), then pull out the tube. You have to carefully remove the tube, trying to maintain one side of the rim-tire setup, but this works pretty well. I guess I was feeling cocky (lazy?) with my gravel bike recently, but I have to go back and run it with a tube.
Old 05-19-20, 12:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Until they've been ridden on, the sealant hasn't worked it's way into the leaky spots. My tires lose maybe 2-3psi a day, unless they have really thin sidewalls, then it's ~5psi a day.
Old 05-19-20, 06:36 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Slosh it

Originally Posted by ronin4740
I just mounted three sets of tubeless tires on three separate wheel sets. Added 2oz of sealant per wheel to the 700x28C tires and about 3oz of sealant to the 700x32C tires.

On all three sets one of the two tires was pretty much flat the next morning. Added a little more sealant to each tire that had lost most of it's pressure, pumped each back up to about 90 PSI, bounced the tire off the ground a few times, spun it, etc... Rode one of the wheel sets about 25 miles but couldn't ride all three...

I know going flat overnight isn't acceptable but what is the approximate amount of air loss in a tubeless setup overnight? I checked the set I'd ridden and they were down about 3PSI the next day.

Thanks.
Hold the tire out in front of you flat, horizontally. Hold the sides and rapidly move the outer part of the tire down and up so you slosh the liquid up and down over the outer area of the tire. If you just spin it the juice may not get to the outer areas where the bead is and your goal is to be sure you get some juice on the outer area. While holding it horizontally swing the outer edge up and down, rotate it a bit, swing it some more so you do that around the entire tire. There should, in my opinion, be enough Stans Sealent (or whatever) to be able to hear it slosh a bit in there. If you can get that stuff sloshed around it should seal up. It may take a day or two but if you had enough space to let the air out over night and you saw no sealant then I think you don't have the sealant spread around all the way. You may even see sealant oozing through the tire itself in places. I've seen that often.