Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CAAD10 BB Conversion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

CAAD10 BB Conversion

Old 06-27-20, 11:39 AM
nicholas_stover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAAD10 BB Conversion

I'm looking to build up an old CAAD10 I have laying around with a new SRAM Force 22 groupset. The bike currently has a Dura-Ace 7800 crank with SM-BB7900 bottom bracket.

I don't have much bottom bracket knowledge, but I always thought CAADs were BB30 direct / press fit. Did this frame go through a conversion at some point? If so, which BB do I need to purchase for the new SRAM groupset considering the old BB is a SM-BB7900 and threaded?

The options are:
GXP English Thread
GXP Italian Thread
GXP PF86
BB30 PF30 68-92mm BB30A, BBRight, BB386
BB30 Bright Direct Fir Bottom Bracket
Old 06-27-20, 06:30 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by nicholas_stover
I'm looking to build up an old CAAD10 I have laying around with a new SRAM Force 22 groupset. The bike currently has a Dura-Ace 7800 crank with SM-BB7900 bottom bracket.

I don't have much bottom bracket knowledge, but I always thought CAADs were BB30 direct / press fit. Did this frame go through a conversion at some point? If so, which BB do I need to purchase for the new SRAM groupset considering the old BB is a SM-BB7900 and threaded?

The options are:
GXP English Thread
GXP Italian Thread
GXP PF86
BB30 PF30 68-92mm BB30A, BBRight, BB386
BB30 Bright Direct Fir Bottom Bracket
To use a Shimano crank with that CAAD 10 frame, you need a conversion BB that allows you to use a crankset with a 24mm spindle in a frame designed for 30mm spindles. Shimano doesn’t make cranks with 30mm spindles so the BB that came with the frame was installed specifically to accommodate the 24mm spindle of the Dura Ace crank.

SRAM Force cranks have a 30mm spindle option. For these, all you need is a BB30 bottom bracket — not much more than a set of BB30 bearings, C-clips (which fit inside the CAAAD10 shell to hold the bearings in place) and some spacers to accommodate spindle length. Once the c-clips are fitted in the frame and the bearings are pressed in you can install the SRAM Force BB30 crankset. If your cranks are BB30A (designed to fit both 73MM and 68mm) the spindle will be too long for your 68mm shell but it or the BB should come with spacers to accommodate the length.
Old 06-28-20, 01:58 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
You can also use the current BB with a GXP crank and a 24 to 22mm adaptor.