Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- July 25/26

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 02:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Moving through winter/summer ... how's your cycling going? Tell us all about it!
Old 07-26-20, 07:45 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I had a great ride today with a group of friends; 112km, 1092m climbing including a 15.5km hill and average of 33.4km/h overall; some spirited breakaways, lots of sprinting etc. Fun. Yesterday a solo 50km, 1x KOM. Rounds off a 416km week with 4 KOM's. (Only have those to race for at the moment, until racing proper resumes one day )
Old 07-26-20, 10:01 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
600k audax. Both hot weather (36C max, according to the Garmin) and heavy rain in one ride, and experienced pain in both legs with over 200km to go. But I survived and finished in time.

Likes For atwl77:
Old 07-27-20, 01:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Friday -- 17 miles, mostly an excuse to ride farther than necessary for milk that the local store doesn't carry.
Sunday -- 52 miles, a bit of meandering, a bit of hill repeats, a bit more than I really wanted to ride. I should have stopped around 40 miles.

Still on my hybrid with swept bars. It's a bit heavier but comfortable, and not much slower than my road bikes. All my road bikes are in various stages of disrepair, with one waiting for new wheels, the other waiting for a new headset press, and the third... I don't really have an excuse for not finishing it. I'd just rather ride than tinker. I suspect my hybrid is telling me to set up the road bikes to be a bit less aggressive and a lot more comfortable, since there isn't much difference in average speeds/times over the same routes.
Old 07-27-20, 04:37 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
My wife often drives up to visit her brother who lives near Mercersburg PA, about a 75 mile ride north of us. Once or twice a year I'll put my bike on her car and ride up with her and have her drop me off in Emmitsburg MD, which is a 60 mile or so bike ride back home.

Emmittsburg MD to Ashton MD

I usually do this ride when it is cold - this time was in the middle of the heat wave, was already in the 80s when Carole dropped me off at 0830. Luckily, there was a bit of an overcast for most of the first 30 miles or so. That first stretch is beautiful - small country roads with little to no traffic and two gravel stretches there were in great shape this time.

There is a nice gas station rest stop at the 28 mile mark, and it was in the 90's by then and I had nearly emptied both water bottles. The next stretch of 5 miles or so on Woodbine Road is not fun - not that much traffic but it is a transportation through route with no shoulder used by lots of trucks/trailers. Usually pretty courteous drivers but too many of those "he's passing me now when that car is coming the other way" scenarios to be fun.

The elevation map looks like it is all down hill from the mid-point but it is really a switch to sharp rolling terrain that ends up at a lower elevation - and the sun came out big time. There is a good rest stop at mile 45 or so that in cold weather I just skip - this time I stopped, more water and two scoops of hand-dipped ice cream! That was needed to power up one of the bigger hills near my house, the Havilland Mill Road climb.

Made it home just after 1pm, emptied another water bottle on the final 15 miles - didn't quite beat the heat...
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 07-27-20, 04:58 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
90°f on Saturday, snuck in a 40 mile gravel ride. I got a new stem, 10mm longer then before and flipped it level. Really made the fit perfect. Must've been the first hot, full sun afternoon ride I've done in awhile. Had sunblock on my ears, nose and wore a long sleeved white active wear shirt. As I traveled around it felt like I was close to a stove Peak summer.

It rained Sunday, but I got out as the thunderstorms passed and rode 55 miles in light precip, 78°f. Really enjoyable.
Old 07-27-20, 11:40 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Tuesday did my 26 mile evening ride to Davis Is. Saturday damn hot and steamy, but did 40 mile Picnic to Davis Is. ride. Sunday sucked. I was going to ride to Plant City, but the roadway looked like someone carpet bombed it with broken beer bottles. Seriously, I don't think I've seen this much glass debris on one road for so long. Right about when I was thinking it would probably be smart to turn back before I punctured a tube...I got the inevitable flat. I replaced tube and did turn around. I went back home to properly pump up my tube and refill water bottles. I headed out again this time to Davis Is. The delay had me out riding later in the morning when it was really starting to heat up. Kind of miserable, but I got in 42 miles.