Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike suggestions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Bike suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 08:22 PM
drharps28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike suggestions

So I'm in the mood for a new bike (my current commuter bike has been beat up). I'm pricing around $500 because it's a city commuter meaning it's going to take a licking, giving me pause on dropping much more. The bikes I've seen here are:

Trek 7.2
Trek 4500
Specialized Sirrus
Giant Revel 3
Marin Sky Trail
Giant Escape 2 and 3
Marin Pioneer Trail Disc

Any thoughts on any of these? All range in price from $360 (the Giants)-$540 (Sirrus). I've only ridden Specialized in the past so I'm largely unfamiliar (other than name) with the other companies so even "they have great bang for the buck" is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-13, 09:05 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Purely for in town use? I'd eliminate the mtbs. Based solely on my own bias and sticking with those brands and budget, here's what I would compile:

-Giant Escape. You should be able to find an Escape City for the same price as that Sirrus. (accessories included)
-Giant Via 2. Just add lights and rack (which you probably already have) and you're set. (fenders/kickstand included)
-Specialized Sirrus. (additional cost to accessorize)
-(Specialized) Globe Work 1. No bling factor and low end components shouldn't attract thieves.
-Trek 7.2 FX (additional cost to accessorize)
-Marin Larkspur (additional cost to accessorize)

Again, the list is based upon my tastes given the budget and brands available, YMMV.
Old 04-15-13, 07:41 PM
drharps28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I actually use a backpack rather than a rack and I have all the lights. I live in Hawaii so I can't find a lot of the bikes you mentioned unless I go for shipping from the mainland which greatly increases cost. Right now I'm leaning towards a used Sirrus from Craigslist but I think the Giants are in the lead should the used Sirrus not fit my needs.
Old 04-16-13, 09:32 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy the Sirrus. Currently commute on a 2011 Elite Model, and have logged near 3,000 miles on it so far (got it used in 2012). Only downfall, is now that I've been commuting for a while, I wish I had drops bars - or a full fledge road bike.

Upgrading the tires from the stock 700x28's/700x32's (depending on which model you get) to 700x26's really helps with speed. Since I commute with a few other roadies, it's not to difficult to keep up - but they can get into a much more aero position on the downhills.

Overall it's a great bike. While not a fan of the Trek FX's, some of the newer Giant bikes are looking good as well. Also tried the Cannondale Quick, but the geometry sucked.
Old 04-16-13, 10:45 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Giant Escape City is nice value, and I wanted to buy it - but the geometry didn't work for me on longer trial runs so I ended up getting a base Sirrus (still happy with it). The Cannondale Quick was not comfortable at all for me, though it looks like a good bike.