Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Failed braze on, Scandium frame

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 04-23-18, 04:22 PM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys I have a rather obscure repair question, if this is the wrong forum mods please feel free to move it but I did think frame gurus would have some good input. The frame in question is an early 2000's Salsa Campeon. I'm not sure how it happened bu the little cable stop pictured pulled away from the frame, taking with it a chunk of paint chip and I'm noticing some oxidation to the metal below (Scandium). I'm wondering what my options are. I'm thinking:

1. disassemble bike, media blast frame, powdercoat or paint, braze new stop on, build back up
  2. epoxy or otherwise re-attach stop to toptube, carry on as normal
  3. do away with stop entirely and run shrouded cable underneath top tube (not my favorite option)
  4. some combination of the above or something I haven't thought of?
Your input appreciated, Dave

Old 04-23-18, 04:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Scandium is aluminum, no brazing. It looks like it might have been welded. The only other possibility is bonded.
Old 04-23-18, 05:29 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Something like this:

https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...clamp_on_cable
Old 04-23-18, 06:04 PM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That might have to do John! Thanks,
Old 04-23-18, 06:14 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Do not use a torch for fixing anything on your frame, you'll ruin the heat treatment. I would find a "clamp-on cable stop" like this: https://www.rivbike.com/products/clamp-on-cable-stops

If it's shift cable you could try epoxy, that's how golf club heads are attached to the shaft. You need to look up how to clean and prep the area, and clamp it while it cures.
Attached Images
Old 04-24-18, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yes Scandium is an aluminum alloy no brazing ... so one solution is make a piece in steel, paint it, and that corroded aluminum portion,
and pop-rivet it on...

the "Salsa" company you dealt with is gone, QBP owns the brand name, and uses the companies in Taiwan, for production...

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-24-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 12:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,343 Posts
This is a load bearing part, not simply a guide, so bonding or riveting are not viable options.

I suspect that the original was welded, and a careful look for the remnants of a bead, or at it's mate can confirm.

In any case, there's no easy fix, so either a clamp on stop, or full housing with clips are the options, though IMO, this should qualify as a defect under the warranty policy. Visit the dealer or email the maker (or both) and see what they say. If they won't make good with at least a substantial credit towards a replacement (based on how long you've owned it s. projected life), you might consider small claims court.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-24-18, 12:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
my thought a larger area , for the sub assembly of the braze on onto a steel base, then a pop-rivet on either end

of a larger oval base,, you could epoxy it and then set the pop rivets while the epoxy had not yet cured.. **

I have a piece fabricated in nylon with a front derailleur stop in it that is crewed into a riv nut on the underside of the downtube.

It also functions as a bumper stop for the fork crown to not swing too far..

** Linear Recumbents used the pop-riveted on bases, of steel housing stops , in making their bikes , with aluminum rectangular tube frames..
Old 05-23-18, 05:58 PM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys I sincerely appreciate all your advice. I don't think a warranty discussion would get very far, I lost my receipts in a move, and the bike shop from which I bought it is out of business.

I most likely will try the clamp-on cable stop as pictured above. I'm slightly nervous due to the amount of oxidation I see in the metal, but hopefully it has sufficient wall-thickness to be structurally sound.
Old 05-23-18, 11:24 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bockman
Guys I sincerely appreciate all your advice. I don't think a warranty discussion would get very far, I lost my receipts in a move, and the bike shop from which I bought it is out of business.

I most likely will try the clamp-on cable stop as pictured above. I'm slightly nervous due to the amount of oxidation I see in the metal, but hopefully it has sufficient wall-thickness to be structurally sound.
Try to use an aluminum clamp if possible. A steel one will need to have the area painted or protected. Having the steel and aluminum in contact with each other like that for a long time will weaken the tube through electrolysis.
Old 05-24-18, 09:56 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Bockman

I'd sand off all the visible corrosion exposing clean metal and then prime and paint the affected area.

Good luck with the repair.