Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Old 01-09-20, 04:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I commuted to the college on bike. I was planning on going to my evening meetings on bike, but I think I'll take the subway. I didn't get cold, but in order to stay warm, I was super bundled and not very comfortable. Enough for me today.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-20, 04:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Aw, who fixed the thread title? After six months I had learned to love it
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-10-20, 12:20 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Aw, who fixed the thread title? After six months I had learned to love it
Wow! Even properly hyphenated.
Old 01-10-20, 12:51 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Tom, do you ever go to studded tires for the NY commute? I have used them in the winter for many years. That was a waste much of the time but occasionally water had gone across the road and frozen overnight. Then it could be a serious problem so I put them on in October and take them off according to the weather in N W Misery. I enjoy being the first in the snow some mornings. Once someone asked me if it was my tracks in town. It had snowed and they picked up an employee in town for work. I almost was a wise guy but it wouldn't have been helpful for me. One must be a sheepdog and not a sheep in my lifestyle and job. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 01-10-20, 01:35 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I'm a big fan of studded tires for MN winter commuting (also Top Contact Winter tire). I've use studded tires on a few bikes, currently I'm riding the overkill set up - 45NRTH Dillingers on my drop-bar fatbike. One of the joys of not having a daily commute, I can ride something kinda silly. OTOH, I'm taking that bike to ride 6 miles to my dentist's office in a few minutes ... this is part of my winter route to the dentist's office
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-10-20, 03:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
Tom, do you ever go to studded tires for the NY commute? I have used them in the winter for many years. That was a waste much of the time but occasionally water had gone across the road and frozen overnight. Then it could be a serious problem so I put them on in October and take them off according to the weather in N W Misery. I enjoy being the first in the snow some mornings. Once someone asked me if it was my tracks in town. It had snowed and they picked up an employee in town for work. I almost was a wise guy but it wouldn't have been helpful for me. One must be a sheepdog and not a sheep in my lifestyle and job. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
It's very rare to have a coating of ice on the surface here. My studded tires were a wasted purchase, but I'm keeping them around in case I should ever need them. I tried them in snow, and they didn't help a bit, not surprisingly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-20, 07:55 PM
Bluesfrog

But, But ,But, if there are tire tracks and the snow is still hard, not slush, I find studs to keep me upright! Those tracks from cars can get you dumped on the ground. If it is a packed roadway in its entirety you may be OK. But tracks with snow in between is bad luck for me. I've rolled around a bit on the snow covered pavement. It was probably funny to those not in the snow. Take care Tom, and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 01-11-20, 09:22 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
10 year, 4 season commuter, 59, and my personal rule is I ride unless I need a vehicle. The longer I do this the less I need a vehicle. My commute is 22 miles mostly on MUP's.
​​
​​​​​After a brutal November with snow, ice, and lower than normal temps I bought an ebike kit for my studded winter bike. Haters start your hating but it's re energized (pun intended) my commuting. I surely don't miss getting sweaty in 20 degree weather. My rule for the ebike is to only use it under 30 but I've regularly violated that one with no guilt.

​​​​​Like @Steely Dan's signature says if you're riding a bike and not having fun you're doing it wrong!
Old 01-11-20, 10:05 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
I just did similar: ebike with studs for winter slogging.
Originally Posted by arsprod
10 year, 4 season commuter, 59, and my personal rule is I ride unless I need a vehicle..,,,
​​
​​​​​After a brutal November with snow, ice, and lower than normal temps I bought an ebike kit for my studded winter bike. Haters start your hating but it's re energized (pun intended) my commuting. I surely don't miss getting sweaty in 20 degree weather.......

​​​​​Like @Steely Dan's signature says if you're riding a bike and not having fun you're doing it wrong!
I too am a purist about having fun while riding.
Old 01-11-20, 10:52 AM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I just did similar: ebike with studs for winter slogging.

I too am a purist about having fun while riding.
Same here, year around commuter with winter ebike conversion. I went with the Hilltopper 250w kit. I started with studs about 5yrs ago,big difference not having to worry about refreeze and black ice. With the kit it's made the ride fun and look forward to the commute.
Old 01-11-20, 02:06 PM
Bluesfrog

Arsprod haters can go create another vacuum on a crack pipe. Do whatever it takes to get that childlike joy of riding a bike. As we get older we need an occasional boost. Keep on keepin' on. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 01-13-20, 08:24 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
…..Driving to work reminds me why I like to bike to work.
this is so true. I drove most of last week due to family commitments but by Thursday i missed commuting by bike something fierce. I was really looking forward to it this week but this week has 3 days with 75% or more chance of rain. So I am driving again.
Old 01-13-20, 02:58 PM
Bluesfrog

If I don't bike because it MIGHT! rain I will sell my bike. The local weather man misses about 65% of his predictions on precipitation alone. Hang your head RidingMathew.. Shame on ya. ;-) Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 01-14-20, 12:29 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
If I don't bike because it MIGHT! rain I will sell my bike. The local weather man misses about 65% of his predictions on precipitation alone. Hang your head RidingMathew.. Shame on ya. ;-) Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Ha

thanks it rained and rained and rained. it has rained on the way in today and will rain on the way home.
Old 01-14-20, 12:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
I hope you are one of those mutant superhumans with waterproof skin. I hate it when I get rained on and my skin falls off.
Old 01-14-20, 05:40 PM
Bluesfrog

I rode for 12 years and drove maybe six times in that period. Yes it rained, snowed, sleeted, and ice pelted me sometimes. The one time I got really soaked I was going home so it didn't matter. I did get wet enough once that it didn't dry for awhile. I kept a uniform for the case of my getting maced. I could change into it if I needed to at work. Locker rooms are nice. A locker tall enough to hang a uniform on a hanger would be even nicer. Ah yes, life working in a prison. I guess you have to have a mental toughness to do the commute all year long. Just sell your bike. You will be much happier than getting all bent about "MAYBE it will rain" Be Well, Bluesfrog..
Old 01-14-20, 05:47 PM
Bluesfrog

A different subject. If you wear too much, don't you sweat then the cold sinks in worse? I used to run six miles a day and sometimes a sixer both AM and PM. I was keeping a weather diary then and learned what to wear for each from of weather. But I learned quickly not to wear too much riding in the cold in Misery. North of Kansas City it is a wet cold much of the time. I also learned I could , for a cold, bundle up too much for the current conditions and ride or run hard, sort of burning off the cold. My health immediately got better. Really it got gone fast. I also took 500 MG of vitamin C twice daily at those times. Be Well, Bluesfrog
Old 01-14-20, 06:31 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I hope you are one of those mutant superhumans with waterproof skin. I hate it when I get rained on and my skin falls off.
Hating rain is a good excuse to buy better rain gear.
Old 01-14-20, 06:38 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Living in San Diego is a good excuse to have only one piece of rain gear: an Ikea-brand poncho.

Actually, my primary piece of rain gear is a car.
Old 01-15-20, 07:06 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Hating rain is a good excuse to take the subway. My better rain gear got used for a week in Seattle where it rained on and off every day and my reason for being there was to ride. Here in NYC I would never bother.
Old 01-15-20, 08:19 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
That! There's no bad weather just bad gear.
Old 01-27-20, 06:40 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
I either bike or walk to work everyday. It takes about 20 min (one way) by bike about twice that to walk. When the weather is good I have an alternate route that takes closer to 30 min one way.

I don't bike in freezing rain or heavy snowfall.
Likes For canadian deacon:
Old 01-29-20, 08:55 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
I commute about all year long, but not everyday.
I usually don't take the bike when it is raining in the morning (but I have no problem coming back home if it is raining in the evening after work), or when the ground is frozen.
I begun two years ago.
About 4000 km per year. 17 km each way.
I commute with my daily clothes (office job), so this is why i opted for a city ebike, but I plan to use my vintage racing bike during summer too (only by good weather).

I can not take the bike everyday for many reasons, but everytime I take it I feel better.
Morning ride is often difficult, difficult to find motivation, but evening ride is always a pure joy associated with a fantastic feeling of liberty.
Likes For Manu431:
Old 01-29-20, 09:08 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Plowing through 1/2 inch of snow this morning definitely added some oomph (and about 10 mins) to the morning ride. There's a short hill that I thought I might have to get out and push, but I just kept the rear tire spinning, and kept my momentum going.

Mornings like this, I'm really glad I have 3 wheels!
Old 01-29-20, 09:38 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm in my 20th year of bike commuting, riding to a train station, about five miles by the direct route. If the weather is particularly nasty I just don't go to work. That happens maybe five times in a year.

So for sure I have an easier commute than many here.

But since I started commuting by bike, I haven't driven to the station once. My only other way of getting to the station is to have my wife drive me. I think that's happened about twice, I'm not sure because I can't remember why I couldn't ride. It was something unusual, though, like recuperating from hernia surgery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.