Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Belgium

Old 01-19-20, 08:18 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Bicycle Belgium

If I traveled to a very popular cycling country like Belgium how could I drop in and spend a few days or week enjoying their bike culture? How could I maximize the trip with a very heavy emphasis on cycling?

or is another country or city a much better option?
Old 01-20-20, 12:34 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
What kind of bicycle culture are you looking for? Cycling for transportation is decent in Belgium, but not everywhere. It's mainly Flanders, Ghent is probably their best cycling city, and imo is their best city to visit anyway.

Really special is their culture towards road cycling, cyclecross and track. Thousands of them will go out into gloomy and rainy januari cold to get a glimpse of the Belgian boys beaten in the mud by the same Dutchman over and over again and applaud him over and over again. Of course they care and would prefer a Belgian to win for a change, or any change in who wins, but first and foremost they keep admiring the performance. The same for road cycling, Sagan is incredibly popular there for the cyclist he is, his nationality is secondary. That's not because they're not chauvinistic, it's because of their deep and genuine love for the sport.
Old 01-20-20, 12:44 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Does it have to be Belgium? Dont get me wrong, I'd go in a heartbeat but if you want to ride on streets with more bikes than cars and have right of ways and streetlights specific for Cyclists then Copenhagen might be a better "Cycling Culture" trip
Old 01-20-20, 01:39 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Does it have to be Belgium? Dont get me wrong, I'd go in a heartbeat but if you want to ride on streets with more bikes than cars and have right of ways and streetlights specific for Cyclists then Copenhagen might be a better "Cycling Culture" trip
”more bikes than cars”

exactly what I’m looking for

maybe ride 50 ish miles a day and hang out at some bicycles shops and restaurants

Copenhagen.
Old 01-20-20, 03:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Mallorca.
Period.
If you care about weather
and road cycling.
Old 01-20-20, 03:33 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Mallorca.
Period.
If you care about weather
and road cycling.
thanks

riding looks great

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 01-20-20 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 02:07 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
We stayed in an AirBnB on Wollenstraat a block away from the Bruge Markt. On Monday we watched all the cycling traffic scoot by, basically a traffic jam of all bikes. 3mph, dressed for work and school, front tire to back tire. Rarely a helmet or light, all polite.

It was “cycling culture” no doubt. Exactly like watching a traffic jam on the I5 in Seattle is “car culture”.

Depends on what type of cycling you want to experience. I’ve only been to Brussels and Bruge. Beautiful country and lovely people.
Old 01-21-20, 06:36 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
We stayed in an AirBnB on Wollenstraat a block away from the Bruge Markt. On Monday we watched all the cycling traffic scoot by, basically a traffic jam of all bikes. 3mph, dressed for work and school, front tire to back tire. Rarely a helmet or light, all polite.

It was “cycling culture” no doubt. Exactly like watching a traffic jam on the I5 in Seattle is “car culture”.

Depends on what type of cycling you want to experience. I’ve only been to Brussels and Bruge. Beautiful country and lovely people.
Old 01-21-20, 01:01 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
”more bikes than cars”

exactly what I’m looking for

maybe ride 50 ish miles a day and hang out at some bicycles shops and restaurants

Copenhagen.
Besides that Cppenhagen isn't entirely the cycling city that it pretends to be, that cycling culture ends at city limits. If you want the most cycling culture, everywhere, it's the Netherlands where you have to go. Denmark and Flanders come in second and third, but at respectable distance. There are good reasons to go Flanders or even Denmark instead (the other part of Belgium isn't that great for cycling) but not cycling and cycling culture itself.
Old 01-21-20, 01:16 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Go when they have bike races where you're going.
Old 01-21-20, 03:24 PM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Why not ride a sportive attached to a classic race, and watch the race the next day.

I rode the Paris Roubaix sportive last year then watched the race at Carrefour de l' Arbre on the Sunday. Being heckled by drunken Belgians on the ride on Saturday then joining them to watch the race on Sunday is a very good cycling experience.