Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Barcons Very tight

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour Barcons Very tight

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 05:42 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Installed on the '86 Miyata 710
Yep. That's the old school way to route bar ends and it does work. Nice.

I think if going with old school housing and old school friction shifters, this is a better choice. If the OP wants the housing wrapped all the way to the top, better to use modern slick cables and lined housing.

BTW, cables used with unlined housing would have had a very generous smear of grease. Pretty much as much as you can get on there. Grease is not optional. For some reason this seems to scare people today.

Anyhow, as far as friction, it all adds up. Lube, cable routing, rebuilding the shifters, filing and dressing the housing ends, ferrules.

Going to under BB routing as suggested could help too. If this bike has a clamp on RD stop, it'd be easy enough to shift that around to the bottom of the chainstay. I'd do the other stuff first though.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 03-18-20, 06:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Do you mean that by wrapping the cables get compressed somehow? Don't think it's possible.
No, I meant did you route, then anchor the cables to the handlebars with electrical tape before you wrapped the handlebar tape? I think you are supposed to route your cable along the bars and secure them with electrical tape before you put the wrap on. At least that is what I do. Tape the cable close to where it connects with the shifter. Then work going away along the bars routing your cable and taping it every 3-4 inches until you get to where it will exit from the handlebar tape. Secure it again there, then wrap it. If you wrapped it with the cables loose, they might be sliding slightly under the bar tape when you try to shift. If there is friction between the cable and housing this could happen. Just a guess.
Old 03-19-20, 06:27 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I have never used barcon shifters. having said that, I have set up numerous bikes with them BITD when wrenching at a LBS. The stated reason for the routing shown above, was always to minimize the friction inherent in tight curves of the housing. if you look at it from a physics point of view, more friction along the length of the housing (the sharper the bend, the more friction), and the shorter levers, all coupled with the pinkie centric operation, all made for difficult shifting. Modern housings and cables will likely defeat a lot of friction in the system, but there is no way around the fact that the tighter the curve, the harder it is for the cable to negotiate it. YMMV
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-19-20, 10:56 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
No, I meant did you route, then anchor the cables to the handlebars with electrical tape before you wrapped the handlebar tape? I think you are supposed to route your cable along the bars and secure them with electrical tape before you put the wrap on. At least that is what I do. Tape the cable close to where it connects with the shifter. Then work going away along the bars routing your cable and taping it every 3-4 inches until you get to where it will exit from the handlebar tape. Secure it again there, then wrap it. If you wrapped it with the cables loose, they might be sliding slightly under the bar tape when you try to shift. If there is friction between the cable and housing this could happen. Just a guess.
Okay, I see what you mean, that does make sense. Yes, I did tape the cable housing before wrapping the bars.
Old 03-19-20, 07:43 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Yeah, I've read about this trick. I would indeed need to drill and tap the bottom bracket shell to do that because right now I am using a cable guide clamp.
Definitely the best way to do it- I don't think I'll ever route them 'normal' again- if I can help it. I also don't think I'll route the cables out in front of the bar again- if I can help it.

Here's how I used to have my barcons:

CrissCrossCables by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

CrissCrossFront by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

UnderDownTube by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

And this is how I have them routed under the tape these days:

IMG_0220 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

1990 Miyata 1000LT by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-19-20, 09:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I let mine touch/cross in front of the head tube before arcing back into the tape.

Likes For seypat: