Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning rims for braking -- when, how and how often?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 09:29 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

I have center caliper brakes on my Gary Fisher, and use Kool-Stop Eagle 2 pads. All my riding is commuting/city here in LA county, Southern California.
I've heard various suggestions on when, how and how often to clean/maintain the rims. Everything from once a ride to "as needed".
How do I "litmus test" for a dirty rim? E.g., paper towel with 90% isop. alcohol, rubbed across the rim, and it turns black. I do this, and this is indeed what happens even though the rims look "clean" from a loose glance.

Also, what is the best/quickest cleaning method? Say, Scotch-brite with 90% isop. alcohol, etc.

Lastly, should I use non-petroleum chrome/metal polish (e.g. car buffing compound; Bass polish) to keep the rims smooth?

Thx!
Old 05-20-20, 09:33 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I just clean mine with alcohol, after washing the bike (just a wipe with an alcohol wetted cloth) - about every month or so! If I do a lot of miles, and am cleaning/oiling the chain, it may get an extra wipe!
Old 05-20-20, 10:21 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I just clean mine with alcohol, after washing the bike (just a wipe with an alcohol wetted cloth) - about every month or so! If I do a lot of miles, and am cleaning/oiling the chain, it may get an extra wipe!
Thx!
I should've asked earlier ... how much difference does a cleaning like that make in braking performance. A little, a lot, or enough to matter?
Old 05-20-20, 12:48 PM
elcyc

Okay, I just cleaned both rims quite thoroughly. With towel and 90% alch. I also followed with Scotch-brite scrub and toweled/alcohol'd again.
It made almost NO difference.

On a related note, front braking (despite having brand new pads) are the problematic ones of the two.
The rear pads are nearly 10 years old (but still have ample tread) -- but rear braking is decent on this Fisher.

IIRC, front braking used be much more effective (i.e., "grabby")

(BTW: The cables were replaced concurrently on both front and rear, and are in good shape I think)

Any suggestions for better pads, mounting / aligning techniques, resurfacing rims, etc. are appreciated.
Old 05-20-20, 12:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Aluminum or carbon wheels?

I have Zipps and they recommend acetone.... it works great.
Old 05-20-20, 01:07 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
I have center caliper brakes on my Gary Fisher, and use Kool-Stop Eagle 2 pads. All my riding is commuting/city here in LA county, Southern California.
I've heard various suggestions on when, how and how often to clean/maintain the rims. Everything from once a ride to "as needed".
How do I "litmus test" for a dirty rim? E.g., paper towel with 90% isop. alcohol, rubbed across the rim, and it turns black. I do this, and this is indeed what happens even though the rims look "clean" from a loose glance.

Also, what is the best/quickest cleaning method? Say, Scotch-brite with 90% isop. alcohol, etc.

Lastly, should I use non-petroleum chrome/metal polish (e.g. car buffing compound; Bass polish) to keep the rims smooth?

Thx!
I would say go for it and try the thing you asked about last. If your rims are machined sidewall I think they might benefit periodically from several passes with clean paper towels and Mother's Mag Wheel Polish. This stuff removes a lot of metal thus the paper towels will be very black. Do at least 2 applications of the full machined sidewall, 1 side at a time. You will see it take a bit of polish and some of the score lines might smooth out a bit. I finish with one last treatment with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to get the excess mag polish off and to seal the aluminum pores a bit more. Test ride the bike around the block and see if it is any better. Your pads may be hardened. There is a cheap Chinese brand of Shimano compatible pads sold on eBay that comes in different colors that has a good mix of durability, softness and excellent stopping power. Not as long lasting as stock Shimano pads, but not as fast wearing as the reddish colored Kool Stops that everybody always recommend.
Old 05-20-20, 01:47 PM
elcyc

Originally Posted by GlennR
Aluminum or carbon wheels?
I have Zipps and they recommend acetone.... it works great.
I have Sun Rhyno Lite (aluminum I think).
Acetone? Really? You/Zipp must be thinking of use with tires removed.
From Google: "Acetone will not dissolve rubber, but prolonged exposure will degrade it. "
Old 05-20-20, 02:14 PM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
From Google: "Acetone will not dissolve rubber, but prolonged exposure will degrade it. "
Or as a last resort, there is always 1,1,1-trichloroetheyne. It'll clean up anything.... But it might give you cancer.
Old 05-20-20, 02:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Been doing it for years and never had a problem.
Old 05-20-20, 02:30 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I keep all the socks (so many!) that develop holes in the heels for rags. I usually hold a plain dry rag up to the braking surface and walk the bike backwards one rotation. If they are really nasty, I'll do it twice each side. Depending on the weather, I usually do this procedure once a week. I also will release the calipers (canti) and manually wire brush the surfaces of the pads if the weather has been lousy (i.e. wet or sloppy).
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 05-20-20, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I'll wipe down the rims with a clean, dry (to start with!) paper towel after a rainy commute, if it's not also too cold. Hard for OP to relate, from LA, I suppose.

I'll also wash the rims when I wash the bike, 3-4 times a year.

Difference? Fewer squeaks and less grinding noise if there's enough black to see a difference after cleaning. Haven't seen any change in brake effectiveness, except for the back wheel the time or two I over-oiled the chain.
Old 05-20-20, 03:00 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I keep all the socks (so many!) that develop holes in the heels for rags. I usually hold a plain dry rag up to the braking surface and walk the bike backwards one rotation. If they are really nasty, I'll do it twice each side. Depending on the weather, I usually do this procedure once a week. I also will release the calipers (canti) and manually wire brush the surfaces of the pads if the weather has been lousy (i.e. wet or sloppy).

Yep, don't forget the pads!
Old 05-20-20, 03:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I just use a damp cloth or Lysol wipes. Seems to work well removing dirt and not causing discoloration. I also clean the rims and spokes with Lysol wipes after every ride as a way to check spoke tension while cleaning. Occasionally I'll find a loose spoke.
Old 05-20-20, 03:41 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
And just as important as rims, don't forget to polish the spokes for a snappy look.
Old 05-20-20, 03:46 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Getting grit out of the pads is a good idea. That tends to be more of an issue on my winter bike. I usually hear it if it's there.

Otherwise, I'm probably like most cyclists, in that I clean things more often than necessary, and not for any functional reason.
Old 05-20-20, 04:20 PM
elcyc

Actually, now that I think about it, I do clean the rims about 1-2x week, usually with a clean, dry towel. But every other week with Windex. I do this mostly for cosmetics-- i.e.,spokes, wheels, but the braking-rim surface does get some love in this ritual.
Still, with my recent deliberate cleaning of rim (brake-pad mating area), I did pull off black stuff. May've been partly the 90% alch. towel rubbing the tire???
Old 05-20-20, 04:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

BTW.. i clean my wheels at the same time I clean the bike... about once a week or 150 miles.
Old 05-20-20, 06:37 PM
elcyc

The following image is from Sept. 2004. I'm still using the SAME bike, calipers, brake pads (!!), rims/wheels, tires, maybe 12k miles later (only changed brake cable once)...

I think that toe-in geometry on the Kool-Stop Eagle "Claw" is correct?
Old 05-21-20, 09:23 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Once in a while, maybe every 200 miles or so. I use degreaser on a paper towel, with bike on work-stand. Hold moistened towel against rim, careful not to contact tire, and spin wheel by hand. Turn towel to put clean surface on rim, and repeat until no more clean, moist surfaces left on towel. Done!
Old 05-21-20, 11:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I only do it after rainy rides. Bucket of water and a rag is enough.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-21-20, 11:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Every time I ride in the wet/rain I hose the rims off when I finish. The black, oily, gritty runoff is amazing. Then I use brake clean on a paper towel when they have dried.
I'll usually also clean them with brake cleaner when I clean the chain or when I do a general cleaning.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-21-20, 12:14 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My commuter bike has disc brakes, so...unrelated to this thread.

But for my other bikes, it's whenever I feel like it. For example, if I have the bike up on the stand for a chain measurement or lube and wipe, then I am also likely to give the rims a wipe also. I use the ammonia-based spray "Dirtex" as an all-purpose cleaner. Spin the wheel and spray. Wipe with clean cloth. Walk around to the other side of the bike, spin and spray. Wipe. This keeps most rims acceptably clean.

But my bikes aren't immaculate. They're clean and work very, very well. But they're not showroom clean.
Old 05-21-20, 01:10 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The following image is from Sept. 2004. I'm still using the SAME bike, calipers, brake pads (!!), rims/wheels, tires, maybe 12k miles later (only changed brake cable once)...

I think that toe-in geometry on the Kool-Stop Eagle "Claw" is correct?
The toe-in looks like it could be a litle excessive, but not bad. I'm a little curious about the anlgle of your straddle cable and the poisition of your brake arms. Could you post a head-on picture of your brakes?

Last edited by Doug64; 05-21-20 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 01:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Unless you get oil on your rims, there is little you 'have" to do except road grit is destructive to the braking surface. When I hose my bikes off post-ride with a light spray, I blast through the rim and brake pad with the jet. I wipe my rims periodically, mostly for appearance, with either a clean rag (old socks and T-shirts like above) or paper towel but rarely has this been to cure a problem or have I noticed a change in braking from those wipes. I don't see the black braking dust as a braking problem, just appearance, Now the road grit, especially the local northwest volcanic grit can be very destructive and is the biggest limiting factor on how long my rims last.

Ben
Old 05-21-20, 01:23 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I don't do it, but I would if I got some mud on there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.