Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If one still has 26" tire bikes right now, should they keep or sell?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If one still has 26" tire bikes right now, should they keep or sell?

Old 05-21-20, 01:06 PM
theDirtyLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MT...Wheel-Set.html

This set is 230, which is not bad for the quality. Some cheap azz 26 inch wheels would still cost well over 100 for a set. Where it really gets expensive is if you go up to 11 or 12 speed, but you can use these with 7 speed if you get a spacer.
But he already has 26" wheels, so they cost $0. And for some folks $230 is the price of a whole bike, or most of it.
Old 05-21-20, 01:12 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon
But he already has 26" wheels, so they cost $0. And for some folks $230 is the price of a whole bike, or most of it.
He has wheels for now, the whole point of the thread is will he be able to replace them later down the road. You might get a decent used mountain bike for 230 though at this time I doubt it due to covid, but the wheels will probably be crap. Mine are even though I am using the best ones out of 4 different 26 inch bikes I have had, and that is why I want to upgrade that next, and when I do I will go to 27.5 if I can fit them because it's easier to get wider rims and tires. You won't be able to get a new bike for 230 bucks that won't cost be a 500+ dollar money pit over the course of the next couple years even if walmart hadn't been picked clean already.
Old 05-21-20, 01:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Great. Give us some numbers. And remember, we're talking about a scenario in which you don't have 650b wheels yet, so you'll need to budget for that too.
​​​​​​If we're going to give this guy feedback, it might as well be practical info, right? He can make a better decision about what he wants to do if he knows how much the alternatives will cost.
Why? If you read my other posts, I'm not one of those trying to talk the OP into converting to 650B. 26" is awesome!

Just wanted to correct your old "expensive Rivendell prices" info. 650B was exclusive and expensive years ago, now it isn't.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-21-20, 01:58 PM
theDirtyLemon

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Why? If you read my other posts, I'm not one of those trying to talk the OP into converting to 650B. 26" is awesome!

Just wanted to correct your old "expensive Rivendell prices" info. 650B was exclusive and expensive years ago, now it isn't.
Why? Because you said I was wrong, but in a real vague and hand-wavey way. So I'm saying define your terms. Everybody draws the line of exclusivity somewhere else--maybe it falls between Rivendell and the latest MTB fad, maybe it falls between new bikes and old bikes--and everybody's budget is different. So far the cheap price for 650b wheels and tires is close to the OP's maximum bike budget. That's worth knowing.
Old 05-21-20, 02:08 PM
theDirtyLemon

....the whole point of the thread is will he be able to replace them later down the road.
Is it? I think it's "will they be able to SELL the bike later?" I just re-read the original post, and honestly, I'm not real sure what the issue is. I get a general sense that the OP doesn't actually have a problem, but is afraid that they're being somehow....Left Behind. Like, cosmically, or something.
Old 05-21-20, 02:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Why? Because you said I was wrong, but in a real vague and hand-wavey way. So I'm saying define your terms. Everybody draws the line of exclusivity somewhere else--maybe it falls between Rivendell and the latest MTB fad, maybe it falls between new bikes and old bikes--and everybody's budget is different. So far the cheap price for 650b wheels and tires is close to the OP's maximum bike budget. That's worth knowing.
Okay, fine, I'll do some personal shopping for you. Here is a pair of 650B wheels for about $100 total: https://www.treefortbikes.com/Sta-Tr...k-Release-Axle https://www.treefortbikes.com/Sta-Tr...k-Release-Axle
Panaracer Pari-Motos can be found as low as $30 domestically: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=72809 and Col de la Vies (which have been available for a long time) are $24: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=10438

Can we go back to talking about 26" now?
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-21-20, 02:21 PM
theDirtyLemon

Can we go back to talking about 26" now?
Later, I'm busy buying wheels!
Likes For theDirtyLemon:
Old 05-21-20, 02:32 PM
theDirtyLemon

Okay, fine, I'll do some personal shopping for you.
Seriously though, not only can we all see that you are absolutely right, but everybody knows what you're talking about. Which is probably pretty helpful for the guy who's trying to decide what wheels to have.
Old 05-21-20, 02:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Seriously though, not only can we all see that you are absolutely right, but everybody knows what you're talking about. Which is probably pretty helpful for the guy who's trying to decide what wheels to have.
Sorry for getting a little snippy there, just didn't realize how much I'd need to quantify things to resolve the discussion.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-22-20, 09:47 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Install a pair of KENDA K838 "slicks".
These are perhaps the best Street & Pavement tires that you could ever install on a 26" (559mm) mountain bike wheel.
They are smooth and fast, and quiet.
A great tire that is also very inexpensive. Don't let the low price fool you as these are better than some tires at twice their cost!
What would you recommend for a budget multipurpose tire, something that can take both road and gravel?
I had a bike with a 700c tire with the following patterns also from Kenda, but I didn't write down the tire name

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; 05-22-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-22-20, 09:59 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
What would you recommend for a budget multipurpose tire, something that can take both road and gravel?
I had a bike with a 700c tire with the following patterns also from Kenda, but I didn't write down the tire name

Don't get kenda they are garbage and if you get a flat at high speed those loose wide beads could kill you. Get a scwalbe steel bead instead. If you want one that is cheaper then go for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Land...-13&th=1&psc=1
Old 05-22-20, 01:12 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Don't get kenda they are garbage and if you get a flat at high speed those loose wide beads could kill you. Get a scwalbe steel bead instead. If you want one that is cheaper then go for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Land...-13&th=1&psc=1
No, the Kenda’s won’t “kill you” if you get a flat at high speed. Schwalbe (Sch-vall-b-uh for those of you who pronounce it Sch-wall-bee) makes good tires but the current trend of super tight beads are generally unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental. They can cause significant drops in the tension of the spokes on wheels which leads to other problems.

People have been riding bikes with loose fitting tires for decades and there aren’t a lot of reports of deaths when the bike tire flats at any speed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-22-20, 01:19 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, the Kenda’s won’t “kill you” if you get a flat at high speed. Schwalbe (Sch-vall-b-uh for those of you who pronounce it Sch-wall-bee) makes good tires but the current trend of super tight beads are generally unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental. They can cause significant drops in the tension of the spokes on wheels which leads to other problems.

People have been riding bikes with loose fitting tires for decades and there aren’t a lot of reports of deaths when the bike tire flats at any speed.
I say that because that's nearly what happened just yesterday to my friend who was riding one of my spare bikes. We were going down a hill and the loose beads came free when it got a flat in the front tire and kept getting stuck in the brakes and she was all over the place and could not steer or stop. We were in the road because of work done on the sidewalk and bike lane and were just lucky no cars were coming in the other lane because she was all over the place. You can use whatever you want but I won't use garbage like that ever again.
Old 05-22-20, 01:32 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I say that because that's nearly what happened just yesterday to my friend who was riding one of my spare bikes. We were going down a hill and the loose beads came free when it got a flat in the front tire and kept getting stuck in the brakes and she was all over the place and could not steer or stop. We were in the road because of work done on the sidewalk and bike lane and were just lucky no cars were coming in the other lane because she was all over the place. You can use whatever you want but I won't use garbage like that ever again.
That’s operator error. Perhaps you should have briefed her on what to do if a flat occurs. It takes quite a lot of travel on a entirely flat tire in my experience for it to come off the bead. Most people are going to be stopped before that occurs.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-22-20, 03:11 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That’s operator error. Perhaps you should have briefed her on what to do if a flat occurs. It takes quite a lot of travel on a entirely flat tire in my experience for it to come off the bead. Most people are going to be stopped before that occurs.
What to do if flat occurs while your bike is in moving speed?
Likes For CaptainPlanet:
Old 05-22-20, 03:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Schwalbe (Sch-vall-b-uh for those of you who pronounce it Sch-wall-bee)
LOL. If I'm ever in Germany, then I'll use the correct German pronunciation. But here in the US, most of us cretins use the Americanized pronunciation and that's OK too.
Old 05-22-20, 03:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
My thought is once 650b reaches market saturation 26" will be back again. The marketers will come up with a new or "forgotten" benefit to create the need. Something like "the much wider footprint a 26" tire allows in a 27.5 fork provides you with that extra grip in the gnarliest terrain" or some such novelty.

I actually like 26" so I will be glad.
It's all in the marketing. Sales people will tell you that 650B is stronger than 700C (which it is by virtue of smaller diameter) and that it gives taller gearing than 559 (also true.) What they don't tell you is it's weaker than 559 and gives lower gears than 700C. Sizes are trade-offs, and the 650B is the 'hybrid bike' of the wheel world - halfway between 559 and 700C, and unable to match the strong points of either.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-22-20, 05:06 PM
Oneder
Banned.

That's ridiculous nonsense. Usually your posts are much better than this. You 'usually' was probably that way because you weren't using such garbage tires with such wide beads. I thought it was unusual they were wide but I did not realize it was so dangerous until I saw what happens when you have a blowout going downhill.
Old 05-22-20, 05:57 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It's all in the marketing. Sales people will tell you that 650B is stronger than 700C (which it is by virtue of smaller diameter) and that it gives taller gearing than 559 (also true.) What they don't tell you is it's weaker than 559 and gives lower gears than 700C. Sizes are trade-offs, and the 650B is the 'hybrid bike' of the wheel world - halfway between 559 and 700C, and unable to match the strong points of either.
And then they'll tell us that the bigger the diameter of the wheel the easier it'll roll over bumps and or other obstacles.

Cheers
Old 05-22-20, 06:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I had 30mm Schwalbe CX Pro tires on narrow rims on one of my bikes. When the front tire lost air that bike was impossible to steer or maintain control of. If riding at anything other than a near crawl and the front tire flatted, you'd crash before you had a chance to do anything, That was without the tire coming off the rim too.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-22-20, 11:54 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
What to do if flat occurs while your bike is in moving speed?
Apply the brakes and come to a stop. A flat, in most cases, is relatively slow. I hit a piece of glass recently and could hear the air escaping as the tire rolled. It went “phfitz”, “phfitz” each time the puncture hit the road. It was a fast leak and took only about 2 minutes to go flat. In my experience, flats take a lot longer than that.

That's ridiculous nonsense. Usually your posts are much better than this. You 'usually' was probably that way because you weren't using such garbage tires with such wide beads. I thought it was unusual they were wide but I did not realize it was so dangerous until I saw what happens when you have a blowout going downhill.
I have lots of aramid bead tires (folding bead) that I can take off without tools...most of them on 26” mountain bikes...and I’ve never had one come off during a flat. I’ve even flatted on hard landings and never had the tire come off the rim before I could get the bike stopped. A blowout can be a different animal but blowouts can have several causes. They are usually a fault in the installation of the tire or due to over inflation. I’ve blow out tubes when a brake rubbed a hole in the tire. But when it comes to a fault in the installation or over inflation, the tire usually doesn’t make it to the road. Holes rubbed in the tire can go down fast but they don’t blow off the rim.