Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 08:19 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Why ????

My gf has an incredible 90’s era Colnago Mapei that looks like it is in museum condition I mean flawless,stunning. We picked it up today from a LBS for a minor service and notice numerous scratches in both the paint and anodized wheels, all very minor but this bike was artwork.
She contacted the owner who said he had no idea how the damage could have occurred but he would make it right which is all you could ever ask but still....... damn 🤬
Old 06-12-20, 08:33 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Tomm,
Sorry for the loss ! The bike was a work of art. I am considering getting a clamp helper from Silca that supports from two points and clamps with rubber straps. Impossible to scratch the frame and holds in a non clamping way. Way better than the Park lever style clamps. I trust your LBS makes all right by your GF. Smiles, MH
Old 06-12-20, 08:41 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Share the name of the LBS here and with your friends. Never take the bike back there. Get quotes for the cosmetic repair and present the LBS with a bill.

I can understand scratches on an already scratched, run of the mill bike. But clearly the LBS has no concept of respect for superior craftsmanship.
Old 06-12-20, 08:53 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I’m sorry but I can’t do that as the owner acknowledged his responsibility and said he would make it right. I feel it’s only right to give him the chance to do exactly that before I consider exposing his shops name. He has done good work for us in the past but that was with “mere mortal” bikes, this one was a tear jerker to see ANY scratch on.
This was one of those “once in a lifetime” purchases for her so we are being optimistic. We do know of a fine vintage restoration shop about two hours away that is currently doing some touch up work on my Colnago C40 that could do a great job on this. She is going to ask the LBS to pick up the tab for them to do the repair.

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 06-12-20 at 09:04 PM.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 06-12-20, 09:32 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your gf's mint bike was damaged in the shop. Avoiding inadvertent damage is an important reason for me to do my own work on both my bikes and motor vehicles. On the rare times I do need to bring a car or bike in to a shop I will only bring it in when it is sparkling clean. Then I insist on doing a walk around with the service writer so we can document any and all existing damage. This shows how carefully I care for my vehicle, how mint it is, and that I will be inspecting it at pickup.

Good on you for not posting the shop name when they are committing to making it right. I hope the bike turns out nice.
Old 06-13-20, 04:18 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Good luck. Hope it all turns out okay. I'm just back from 48 miles on my 1996 Master Light in AD4 paint. It has a scuff from cable rub on the headtube and a chip in one seat stay by the bolt - I'm always afraid to take it out and mess it up but it's just such a sweet ride.