Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cheaper (aka beginner) road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 03:59 AM
Dan515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So a LBS has these bikes:

What I believe is a Louis Garneau Axis 2.0 (took it for a test ride but stupidly don't remember the model name ATM)

a Kuwahara Sprint (pretty sure it was a full Sora drivetrain)

and a Jamis Ventura.. don't remember if it's a Sport or Comp

The LG was going for $1000 CDN, the Kuwahara for $650 CDN, and the Jamis for around $750/$800 CDN.

Are any of these good deals or at least decent bikes? I know they all have Sora parts (which are, from what I understand, not too great), but I'm on a budget.

Or would it be more worth it to buy a bike from Bikes Direct that has Tiagra/105 and deal w/ the currency conversion and tax?
Old 04-18-09, 04:05 AM
igknighted

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For a beginner in the sport, I would say fit is more important than any difference in components at that level. The benefit of a proper fit will far outweigh the benefit of tiagra, or even 105. Besides, if you get hooked, you will want better than a tiagra/105 bike before too long (and if you don't get hooked, you'll wonder why you spent the little bit extra). Besides, buying from the local shop creates a relationship that you can fall back on when you need help (maintenance, advice, etc.)
Likes For igknighted:
Old 04-18-09, 05:18 AM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My rule of thumb for beginning ANYTHING potentially as expensive as biking: Save your money, buy used. If you like the sport, sell it and add some cash and buy a new bike. After a few thousand miles, you will have a definite idea about what you do and don't want in a bicycle and can find a model that best suits your riding style and mindset. My first RB was a Fuji S-10-S from 1974 (rebuilt myself), my second was a Trek 1200 and I just bought another S-10-S to rebuild as a touring bike. I had the chance to use a more modern (read: straighter fork) road bike and found that I very much preferred the stability of the older fork style and the give of old steel.
Likes For Bearonabike:
Old 06-11-20, 11:01 PM
fastbikes

Bikes: Mountain Bikes

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do you know what years the Kuwahara Sprint was made in?
Old 06-12-20, 07:20 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan515
Or would it be more worth it to buy a bike from Bikes Direct that has Tiagra/105 and deal w/ the currency conversion and tax?
You would have to check, but I believe that Bikes Direct does not ship to Canada
Even if they do, expect shipping to be very expensive
Old 06-12-20, 09:49 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Don't know about Sora levers, but I put a Sora long cage rear derailleur on my 2x9 speed this year so i could use an 11/36 cassette (getting older, needed lower gearing for step hills). It shifts quicker and smoother than the older 105 RD it replaced, and than my new gravel bike that has full Tiagra. Also the finish and look of the Sora is beautiful.
Old 06-20-20, 04:07 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Get fitted and try to get at least 105 componetry if you can. I am not big on anything less than 105 in the Shimano lineup as you will find you will want to upgrade soon. I am actually a SRAM rider so that is another story.

Some LBS’ do great fittings while others just do the basics of stand over and watch you ride in the parking lot to get an idea. If you find a LBS that does “real” fittings, well those can sometimes run you a few hundred! But if you are buying a $5k bike its worth it.

To a beginner, just let the LBS gauge you for now and get you in the ballpark. Good luck.
Old 06-21-20, 05:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Hopefully the OP made a decision by now
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 06-21-20, 05:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Old 06-22-20, 11:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
My bad, I missed the date of that first post, it just sounded like so many other first timers asking that question these days